Coming to America!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Youll need alot for a three or four week trip... Out west about 100 a night for a hotel alone ///

Idaho ... it is a lovely place

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you know what time of year you'll be visiting? That makes a difference in the suggestions.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I think I know where that water tower shaped like a peach is, I just can't remember exactly what trip I was on that I saw it.
Gaffney SC, on I-85.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You just have to come by Texas...we're sooooooo big, you can't miss us!

Love that peach watertower! Too cute!

Hilda >^..^<

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We drive past that every time we go to Hickory for Kartfest! Its reall cool! You could see that on the way to Atlanta!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well if you're coming to Chicago, then why not a side trip to Ontario? Niagra is definitely something worth seeing (esp, from the Canadian side!).

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

Take a little side trip to Canada to see Niagara Falls, the Skydome, the CNTower, take in a game, the Hockey Hall of Fame, and the list goes on.........
since you'll already be in NYC, you can take a 1 day trip or overnight to Niagra falls, it is AMAZINGLY breathtaking! And you can hop the border and do some shopping on the Canadian side....

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

since you'll already be in NYC, you can take a 1 day trip or overnight to Niagra falls, it is AMAZINGLY breathtaking! And you can hop the border and do some shopping on the Canadian side....
That's right! You'll get some of your money back with our exchange rate!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Conversely if you are going to Chicago-travel on to Minneapolis to Mall of America!!
How do you plan on getting around the country?? Driving or flying again-that will make a big difference in your budget.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely come to San Francisco!!! It's such a cool city (and not just the weather!). The hills are what make the city fun - especially riding over them in a cable car!

And from SF you can go up to the wine region, drive up tp Lake Tahoe, go to Yosemite, drive to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon - trust me - driving is well worth it! And you can drive south to Monterey and Big Sur...

But most importantly - you can see me!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Definitely come to San Francisco!!! It's such a cool city (and not just the weather!). The hills are what make the city fun - especially riding over them in a cable car!

And from SF you can go up to the wine region, drive up tp Lake Tahoe, go to Yosemite, drive to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon - trust me - driving is well worth it! And you can drive south to Monterey and Big Sur...

But most importantly - you can see me!
Funny, I think the worst part of San Francisco, is the weather. You have to get your blood thickened just to stand being cold all of the time. But visually, I do think it's a beautiful city. I just can't stand the cool weather.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

Funny, I think the worst part of San Francisco, is the weather. You have to get your blood thickened just to stand being cold all of the time. But visually, I do think it's a beautiful city. I just can't stand the cool weather.
That's pretty funny. I had a college friend that moved there and has been loving the weather since. She thought Michigan was too cold.

Anyhoo, If you go up to Bar Harbor, Maine, I'm pretty sure that its the first point in the U.S were the sunrise occurs each morning. Plus Maine just rocks!!!

Or if you come to Michigan there's an Island up north called Mackinaw Island. Its pretty neat since the island is completely car free. The only way to get around is by horse (riding/carriage) or bike.

There's also Denver. About 2 hours outside of Denver is Estes Park which hosts the hotel that Stephan King based his book "The Shining" off of. Plus Estes Park is really nice to walk around. And seeing the Rockies in person is a must!

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you go to Boston, try to get on a Duck Tour. I've lived here all my life, and I learned things on that voyage. Also in DC, check out the Native American museum. We went last year, and I wish I had more time there. It was awesome. The museum itself is a work of art, never mind all the displays.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should come to Wisconsin because we have one of the best attractions around...ME!
J/k...there's not a lot to do here anyway, maybe we could go cow tipping??
I'm so happy you're coming here, can't wait to hear what you think of it!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snuzy

If you go to Boston, try to get on a Duck Tour. I've lived here all my life, and I learned things on that voyage. Also in DC, check out the Native American museum. We went last year, and I wish I had more time there. It was awesome. The museum itself is a work of art, never mind all the displays.
OOOOOOOOoooooo... I bet Sarah would be real fun on a Duck Tour!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you like scenery, the entire state of Utah and northern Arizona (Grand Canyon) has the most amazing rock formations in the country. I call that trip the Canyon Adventure: Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, not to mention Monument Valley and lots of native American ruins.

Are you going to drive? You do realize that if you are driving all over the country, you could probably find TCSer's houses to stay at the entire time and save a ton of money!! I'm at the midway point between New York and San Francisco - have guest room and lots of cats to get in a kitty fix mid trip.

Hotel costs vary tremendously across the country and so do car rental rates. We just stayed in the Boston area for $180 a night (ouch), then in Charleston for $100 a night (better). You get in the backwoods of the country and you can find a good hotel for about $60 a night. Just assume anything in NYC, Boston and Washington D.C. will be expensive. My guess is that San Francisco is also pricey for hotels.

Oh yeah, I grew up in Chicago and have to vote for that also. Great museums, great downtown, and lots of night life.