Colloidal Silver

4crazycats4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

There is obviously a lot of pro colloidal silver posts here, and while many things will kill bacteria etc in a test tube, that doesn't make them safe and effective in the boy of a human or a cat.  See links below for a different POV.

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/silver

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l.../expert-answers/colloidal-silver/faq-20058061

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...tId=779&activeIngredientName=COLLOIDAL SILVER

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/PhonyAds/silverad.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver
I agree that one should do their research, but you also have to look at where the information originates. These are mostly websites controlled by the medical industry, which is controlled by the pharmaceutical industry. The pharmaceutical industry discredits natural healing remedies because they can't make money if their products aren't used. However, it is better to make an informed decision when we have all the information so thank you for the links.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I agree that one should do their research, but you also have to look at where the information originates. These are mostly websites controlled by the medical industry, which is controlled by the pharmaceutical industry. The pharmaceutical industry discredits natural healing remedies because they can't make money if their products aren't used. However, it is better to make an informed decision when we have all the information so thank you for the links.
Well i would say that wikipedia has no specific pro or con agenda and is an open source resource, and also while the medical industry does  have an agenda, some of the links above reference clearly suspect pro-colloidal silver sources.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never used CS internally. I buy 500ppm colloidal silver to use topically. When a cotton ball soaked with CS was dabbed on my cat's acne, it cleared up almost overnight. Whenever I use it for anything topical, I apply it 4x a day.
I use it for this same reason.  Even after years of no plastic bowls, or place mat, Angel will still get chin acne occasionally, & it's usually cystic like, & painful. Most of the time some peroxide on a cotton round works, but

recently, he has had some that has lasted a couple of months. Doubling up his lysine, & peroxide hasn't seemed to help, so I finally ordered some more C.S. 500ppms. A large 4 oz. bottle this time!

It seems to be getting better, but a little slower that I expected. I think because he scratches it sometimes, so that doesn't help. I'm trying to step it up, & use it on him 2-3XS/day.

I also thought of another good way to use it. I put a couple of drops on his toothbrush before I add the toothpaste, & this way, it helps any pinker areas on his gums. (his inside upper molars looked a little red around the base on his right side).  (vet says it's not too bad),  This should help until his next cleaning in February. 

furmummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are a ton of variables with Colloidal Silver...

The TYPE, the Strength, (ppm)..dosage.. Please, research!!

I'm a medical professional and I have personally avoided using antibiotics a number of times thanks to Colloidal Silver.

I've also used it successfully with my cats a number of times over the years.

I ALWAYS have a bottle of CS in the house!  But.... Due Diligence is called for... Sometimes regular antibiotics DO save lives...

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The smurf man mixed salt/saline in his colloidal silver. He also didn't use distilled water and drank more that a quart a day. Not good.

I give my cat CS almost daily. She loves it. I either pour in my hand or put some in a small bowl with a few pieces of kibble.

She has the whitest teeth!

I use it so much that I will soon make my own.

Ionic silver is good for outside the body...stomache acid will render it practically useless and turn it to silver chloride.True colloidal silver is good internally. 20 ppm is the normal range.

Ionic silver is clear. True colloidal silver ranges from yellow to tea color. Utopia is an excellent brand that I have used.

Google is your friend and has many forums to educate yourself.

jessie856

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jessie may or may not have nasal lymphoma. She had cat scans etc. She is 17 years old. It started with sinus  infection and it just wouldn't clear up. She was in the hospital for 4 days. She is on a number of antibiotics and a anti fungal along with prednisone. I didn't want to do chemo or radiation yet. Its been 2 months now and she was getting better so I took her off one of the antibiotics and 3 days later things got worst. She is getting lysine, buffered vit C along with goldenseal, folic acid and ferrous sulfate for the passed 2 months. I am going to use CS today. Just ordered a nebulizer online and plan to us it with CS. I give her ringers as needed. She started to breath with her mouth opened. 

deidrahall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hello,

my name is Adele. We live in Spain with more than 20 former stray cats and 8 dogs ...

I work over 20 years with holistic medicine for animals and made very good expierences!

Because a lot of people do not know, how they must dosage collodial silver (50 ppm) for animals  - here my recommendation: 0,06 fl. oz per 2,2 pound (lb).

Cat with 6,6 lb = 0,2 fl. oz.

Cat with 11 lb = 0,33 fl. oz.

Give it twice a day - in the morning and evening

You can give it in two ways:

- with a syringe (without needle) in the mouth. Mix it with 0,3 fl. oz. (or more!) normal drinking water.

This is not optimal (normally it's better to give it pure), but treating animals is different to human treatments.

Collodial silver works over the oromucosal and (significant) over the colon (synthetic antibiotics work also in the colon).

And the small amount of collodial silver which you can give to small animals like cats will not reach the colon fast enough. It will be absorbed in advance and can not work correctly / effective. So, its better to mix it with water, that you have more liquid. This is very important.

- the best way is to give it with some wet food. Mix a teaspoon of food with the silver and as much water, your cat will drink. Do NOT use a metal spoon or a metal bowl. Silver should not come in contact with metal, otherwise it loses its electric charge and no longer works!

Storage your collodial silver dark and  far away from electrical household appliances.

If your cat is only mildly ill, you can use collodial silver in 25 ppm, but in all other cases use 50 ppm.

It''s also possible, that your cat

I hope, I could help.
Thank you Sunshine!   I found your post really helpful to me and my kitty

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope your cat is OK Dedrahall.
Just a reminder from The Cat Site rules:
Supplements and herbal remedies can be very potent and can cause adverse reactions in some cats. You should always consult your vet about any treatment, whether nutritional, natural or alternative and keep in mind they can interact with other treatments your cat receives and cause problems.

brian eardley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I new to this site. I can tell you that, I have been taking internally colloidal silver for a battery of ailments for nearly twenty-six years.

You can look for, what I found to be the best at a website for colloidal clinical tests, located in New Jersey. You have to understand

the good from the dangerous. I would recommend looking at a book called," The Silver Bullet' by Dr. Faber.

paws-itive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wholly Cat, our older female tuxedo kitty has had a skin problem for a LONG time. She's had 2 skin scrapes with the vet always saying that he doesn't have a CLUE as to what it is, then gives her a steroid shot which works for about a month. We've changed her diet, and also, she's not allergic to fleas. We're at our wits end and it's getting worse. We just tried coconut oil which made the skin AROUND the tiny scabs softer, but it hasn't helped with the dermatitis. I'm going to try the colloidal silver, and will only use it externally but I'm wondering which strength to use. I read somewhere that having a very high ppm isn't what is the important point, but the microns.....for better absorption. Do you have any suggestions for me?  What would be the highest strength you might use (externally?) Any help would be SO appreciated!  Thank you! Terri

kiplett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello...new here, and I've got a hyperthyroid cat that doesn't tolerate the medication that is normally prescribed, she rips her hair out when she's on it. Anyway, I'll talk more about that in the appropriate thread. She seems to have something going on with her ears, it's not mites as I have treated everybody (I have 6) with revolution several months ago. I feel like it's more likely something bacterial, so after reading this thread, I am wondering if silver water would help with that. I don't want to stress her by taking her to the vet, she doesn't travel well. Has anyone else tried using SW in a cats ears?

jessie856

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had my vet provide ace promazine 5mg before going to the vet. The downside I couldn't get the prescription before going to the vet first so I used baby benadryl to relax her the first time we went and keep the ace on hand after that. 

rstil6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wondering what dose of Coloidile Silver should give a little 6 week old kitten and how often. She is sick has coocidisous

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where I live my friend and his wife make their own colloidal silver water and I've used this numerous times on my cat Butch, when he gets sores or scabs, and they have cleared right up. This stuff is indeed the best infection-fighting agent I've ever seen, and if your cat does lick at it he/she won't ever ingest enough to harm them in any way. My cats have licked themselves after I have put the silver on them and they've never experienced any negative side effects. Silver is a natural element so it's not some drug/chemical that you have to worry about.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Colloidal silver is SNAKE OIL!

It has never been proven to have any benefit and, if taken in large enough doses, it will cause argyria.
(It makes you turn BLUE!)

There is no good reason to use colloidal silver, for any reason at any time... EVER!

Taking silver for yourself is stupid.

Giving silver to a cat should be a criminal offense!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This stuff is indeed the best infection-fighting agent I've ever seen, and if your cat does lick at it he/she won't ever ingest enough to harm them in any way. My cats have licked themselves after I have put the silver on them and they've never experienced any negative side effects.
Sorry for the dumb question, but this is something that has always puzzled me re: colloidal silver.

I've noticed on this thread and elsewhere that some people use up to 500 ppm for external use, but only go up to about 30 ppm for internal use.

So what happens if you apply 500 ppm to an area of your cat's body where he can reach it with his tongue, and ingests that higher concentration from licking it?

I'm having trouble squaring that circle in my warped little noggin. Then again, I never was very good at math. :)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, Here is an old info sheet I have from a company I ordered it from back when I was a buyer for the wellness dpt. at a natural food co-op years ago. It's been a long time, so I'm not sure I can answer your question correctly, but the best answer I can give you is that that the ppm stands for "Parts per million." So it's about how much it's broken down.
The 500ppm for external use is broken down more into smaller particals, so it is absorbed into the skin better, vs/ the 30. I've honestly used 500ppm for both. It's completely safe, & IT DOES WORK! I have used it many times before, as have many others on this site. I have used it both myself, & on a cat. As well as MANY of the customers I used to have.
It is completely safe, & will not hurt a cat to lick it, so it is a safe alternative to something that is not.
As far as the "turning you blue" comment, well that would first of all be some badly homemade version, not broken down enough, or correctly, & would take TONS in your system to do so!
If it didn't work, it wouldn't still be being sold in many, many places, & by holistic practitioners as well, & for many years now! I have even used it in the eye before on a person, & it worked!
cheeser cheeser Hope this helped!

upload_2017-6-15_10-37-48.jpeg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't buy colloidal silver over the counter, in the US, because the FDA has banned it.

Some unscrupulous companies sell various preparations of colloidal silver as a "dietary supplement" in order to evade FDA regulations. If you buy one of these preparations you have no idea what you are really getting.

The term "PPM" stands for "Parts per Million" but it does not refer to the size of the particles of the preparation.
It refers to the CONCENTRATION of the solution.

If you have a 1 ppm solution of a substance dissolved in water, that means you have one part of the substance dissolved into one million parts of water. If you translate that into a percentage, one part per million is the same as 0.0001%.

A 500 ppm solution is the same as 0.05%

A 10 ppm solution is the same as 0.001%

Various solutions of silver were formerly used to treat topical, skin infections before penicillin was discovered but, now that we have better drugs to treat infections, we don't need to use silver solutions anymore.

Silver works okay as a topical antibiotic/disinfectant but there has never been any proof that silver works internally.

If you put a silver solution on your skin you might see it make your skin turn black or bluish-gray.
That is because the silver reacts with your skin, creating a permanent stain.
That stain will eventually wear away as your skin sloughs off.

If you take a silver solution internally, the silver can be absorbed into your internal organs.
If you take enough of it, the silver will start to stain the tissues in your body and your skin will begin to turn bluish-gray all over your body. This is called "Argyosis" or "Argyria." It is a permanent condition that never goes away. If you take colloidal silver and your skin turns color, you will be blue for the rest of your life and there is no cure.

In extreme cases, Argyria can also cause liver and/or kidney failure.

There has never been a properly controlled, peer reviewed study which proves that colloidal silver, when taken internally, has any benefit. However, colloidal silver has been proven to have the potential for disfiguring, debilitating or even life-threatening side effects.

There are more risks associated with taking colloidal silver than proven benefits.

This is the reason why the FDA banned the stuff.