clipping nails

sillymilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I am new here and have a question about cutting my little ones nails.

I have always had declawed cats, mostly hand me downs that were already declawed so I am really unfamiliar with the act of cutting her nails.

I always thought you only needed to cut their front nails not their back. Heavens be I cut any of her nails. I have no one to hold her down and she is livid. I tried putting her in a towel and she is not having it.

I have been scratched by her front paws and her back, I managed to cut the front ones but very reluctantly. She does scratch her nails on the corner of my loveseat, well ruined already anyhow.....LOL. Thank God

Besides buying her those plastic nail guards or taking her to a vet to get them clipped. How can I get her to come down while I do this. It is out of necessity as to drawing blood out of me.

I was told that you can give your cat prozac to calm them down...........

What would you guys suggest? I live alone and have no one to hold her.

Thank You

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I too live alone and have no one to hold my four darlings! I set small goals, catch them when there're sleeping or somewhat incapacited. I use a large HUMAN nail clipper which doesn't crush their nails (like most clippers specifically for cats) and I clip one or two nails every day. Then they get a treat. Or a dose of catnip. Its a dirty job, but someone has to do it!

On the other hand, Soft Paws (I think that is what it is called) has been reported as very effective.

Good Luck!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to train her to accept it, and it can take a long time. First, resign yourself to going in to a groomer every six weeks or so for a while, until she allows it at home.

Start with Daily Paw Work. This is, have two special treats ready (I use tiny dots of mayonnaise, for a reason, yogurt can be used if kitty likes it)

Gather kitty on your lap, or in holding position on the floor (you on your knees, feet crossed behind you, kitty between your knees, facing out), or up on a table, whichever is going to work best for you and her.

Put a dot of mayo on her mouth for her to lick off, and while she is licking it off, touch her paws. At first se may only allow a touch. Then release her, and give her some more mayo (or yogurt, even butter) to lick off your finger.

Do this every day, at least once, maybe twice. Gradually you should be able to go from just touching a paw, to holding and pressing the paw to extend the claws.

Once she starts tolerating that, you holding the paw and expressing the claws, it's time to try a snip. Put some mayo on her mouth, grab the clippers and snip a claw while her tounge is busy.

At first you may only be able to do one claw at a time. Eventually you will be able to do one whole paw at a time. And then the day will come when both front paws can be done all at once.

I speak from experience. this method can take a long time, but it works, in the end. You must be patient and calm. Don't get angry or show frustration if she struggles. Easy does it.

it took Mazy three years, using the method described above, to allow me to trim her claws. During the training I was bringing her to the groomer. There was only ONE person in Mazy's whole world she would allow to do it, and that was the groomer's assistant, with me holding her, and putting dots of mayo on her mouth periodically.

Three years to allow it may sound like a long time, but when you consider Mazy is here for life, it doesn't sound that long after all, you know?

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing more about you and your kitty (what's her name?)

And no, no kind of drug or sedative is going to be a good idea. Prozac is for serious behavior problems (and donoesn't work immediately), and sedatives are very bad for cats.

The only calming supplement I would recommend is Rescue Remedy. that would be fine to use before a training session.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillymilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Esrandall......thank you for your reply I have read alot about soft paws, I heard they don't last long on the cats they tend to bite them off before they get used to them. I may one day have to try them....LOL

Otto......thank you also for your reply, it was very informative and interesting to read also. I will have to try something like that I think. My cats name is Daisy I just rescued her about 4 weeks ago now. I thought the name was cute, so I kept it....LOL

I love all your doll babies you guys have!!!

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first cat was a stray who adopted me and would not permit anyone to clip her claws. In fact, even the vet had to anesthetize her for any minor procedure (that he could do easily with other cats). So I didn't clip her nails.

However, she only clawed her scratching posts and never ruined anything of mine. She was 20+ when she left me, and I'd never clipped her nails.

My current boy is very compliant, and although he doesn't like it, I can usually get his nails clipped in two sessions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillymilly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I could never figure it out that most people only cut the front paws and not the back. I haven't touched her back paws yet but she is drawing blood from me everytime she jumps up on me. I can barely cut one claw on her front much less the claws on her behind legs. Hasn't she ever clawed you?? or drew blood?

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrandall2000

I use a large HUMAN nail clipper which doesn't crush their nails (like most clippers specifically for cats)
Are there any cat clippers out there that don't crush the nails? I've been wondering about the ones I have because the one cat puts up a fuss like she's in pain. She actually flinches when I cut her nails. I'm never sure if she's actually in pain or if she's just being difficult. The other cats don't seem to have a problem and they have bigger, thicker nails. I use the clippers that look like scissors. Is the guillotine type any better?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you avoid the quick (the pink part) you are not causing any pain. It may be the sensation she flinches from, or the sound.

Tolly looks away while I clip, as if he can't bear to watch. It's so funny.

I use a 'for cats clipper' and find it quite efficient. I've tried various typed, the kind with the spring tension, which also had a little triangle to slip the nail through, and a scissors type with curved blades. I prefer the latter and here a pic of what I use.

A lot has to do with practice and skill. Regardless of what type you prefer to use, the more you clip, the better you'll get at it. I get clean straight across trims with every snip, but I've been doing it for many years.

By the way I replace the clippers every year, they do get dull with use.

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should replace the clippers. I've been using the same one for about four years.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Holland HATES having her nails trimmed. She is my first cat, so I was totally inexperienced when I first adopted her. Here is an example of what she would do to me when I tried to trim her claws:

I tried every method I found - holding her like a football, wrapping her in a towel, clipping when she was sleepy... nothing I did stopped her from completely panicking when I had a pair of nail clippers in my hand. I took her to her vet ONCE to get the job done, but after they charged me $25 for 2 minutes of "work" I vowed I would figure out how to do it myself (I also live alone). I finally discovered that the only way I could do it was to scruff her IN MY MOUTH. She would stay still and I could press on her pad with one hand and clip the claws with the other. I finally had some real success when I started giving her wet food as a treat after claw trimming (she doesn't get wet food otherwise). Now she will ALMOST sit still long enough for me to get them all trimmed without having to hold her in my mouth, because she knows she will get a treat.

And after purchasing two different types of cat claw trimmers, I now only use human nail clippers. Her nails split on occasion, but I get a cleaner trim than I ever did with the "kitty" scissors.

It's also extremely important for you to remain calm while trimming - my kitty could always sense my frustration, which NEVER made things easier. It might sound silly but it also helped me to remind myself how absolutely horrid the de-clawing process is whenever I got frustrated trying to trim her claws. She's an indoor cat only so she doesn't have the luxury of walking on concrete or other natural ways to file down those nails. When I weighed the half hour of frustration I might have had every few weeks against the trauma of all the cats that have been declawed, it helped ease my frustration.

By the way, has anyone seen those kitty emery board/scratching posts? I saw them on an "As Seen On TV" type of thing the other day... All I cold think was "I WANT ONE!!" but then they were like $19.95 and if you buy now, you get a second one free... naturally that made me question their validity. If anyone has one, let me know if they work!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

My Holland HATES having her nails trimmed. She is my first cat, so I was totally inexperienced when I first adopted her. Here is an example of what she would do to me when I tried to trim her claws:

I tried every method I found - holding her like a football, wrapping her in a towel, clipping when she was sleepy... nothing I did stopped her from completely panicking when I had a pair of nail clippers in my hand. I took her to her vet ONCE to get the job done, but after they charged me $25 for 2 minutes of "work" I vowed I would figure out how to do it myself (I also live alone). I finally discovered that the only way I could do it was to scruff her IN MY MOUTH. She would stay still and I could press on her pad with one hand and clip the claws with the other. I finally had some real success when I started giving her wet food as a treat after claw trimming (she doesn't get wet food otherwise). Now she will ALMOST sit still long enough for me to get them all trimmed without having to hold her in my mouth, because she knows she will get a treat.

And after purchasing two different types of cat claw trimmers, I now only use human nail clippers. Her nails split on occasion, but I get a cleaner trim than I ever did with the "kitty" scissors.

It's also extremely important for you to remain calm while trimming - my kitty could always sense my frustration, which NEVER made things easier. It might sound silly but it also helped me to remind myself how absolutely horrid the de-clawing process is whenever I got frustrated trying to trim her claws. She's an indoor cat only so she doesn't have the luxury of walking on concrete or other natural ways to file down those nails. When I weighed the half hour of frustration I might have had every few weeks against the trauma of all the cats that have been declawed, it helped ease my frustration.
Some cats do need slow and easy does it training before they will tolerate it. It took my Mazy cat three years of daily paw work (described earlier in this thread) to accept it from me.

By the way, has anyone seen those kitty emery board/scratching posts? I saw them on an "As Seen On TV" type of thing the other day... All I cold think was "I WANT ONE!!" but then they were like $19.95 and if you buy now, you get a second one free... naturally that made me question their validity. If anyone has one, let me know if they work!!
read this thread about the emery scratcher and don't waster your money!

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200753

lunasmom09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had cats for 30+ years and none of them have ever scratched furniture and all have let me clip their nails; can you believe that? So, trust me, this works!

I like the using mayo to touch their feet suggestion. That was interesting.

I had one cat who hated his feet being touched. I got him when he was 2 so I thought there was no way I'd ever get to touch his nails. When he slept I'd stroke his paws, and then over time was able to stroke them when he was awake. I never solicited play with his paws. Soon - 6 months maybe? - I was able to cut his nails.

The key to using a towel with a cat is this: Do it quick, and do it tight. It's really best to do this with the aid of someone else, so they can hold the towel while you do the work. We call this the "kitty burrito."

Lay the towel on the table or floor and put the cat on the towel, including its hind legs and front legs. Wrap the towel tightly and lift it all at once. Keep the cat tight against the body (elbow holding rear to torso, arm holding body to torso, hand holding chest and head to torso). Pull the leg out that you want to cut. The other person should press the elbow of the cat to extend the leg; you take the paw and extend the claws. WHen done with that leg, push it back in the "burrito" and pull out another leg.

I only had to burrito my cats a few times before they let me do it either by me just holding them, or by sitting over them with them on the floor between my legs (feet together so they can't back out). The trick is to keep them in as natural a position as possible. If you put a cat on its back it'll want to right itself. If you pull the leg out to the side it will want to extend it forward.

If you're not totally confident and/or the cat is really not liking this, clip just the tips of the nails. Just a bit - just to give you confidence and let the cat see that this is nothing painful or threatening. THE MORE YOU CLIP THE LOWER THE QUICK WILL GO so each time you cut you'll be able to go a little lower. The shorter the nails, the better!

Scratching is essential to a cat's well-being and health. Scratching is their way of saying "mine," of saying "welcome," of cleaning and sharpening and dulling and pulling sheaths. You can't keep a cat from scratching, but you can redirect it.

SCRATCHING: THIS HAS NEVER FAILED FOR ME so I urge you to try it!

First, carry a squirt bottle at all times. When you see them going after something you don't want them to, say NO sharply (this works for anything). When they stop, praise them like crazy, then put them where it's OK for them to scratch. NOTE: if they're vertical scratchers, you have to put something up on a wall or a stand, and if they're horizontal, you have to put something on the floor. You can't change that part of their behavior.

If they keep going back to a spot to scratch or ignore the "no", then say "no" and squirt them. Try to be as far back as possible and not in their direct line of sight so they don't associate you w/the bottle. When they stop, put the bottle down, praise them, and put them where you want them to scratch. Keep doing it until they catch on. I've only had one cat who didn't get the hint after the first couple of squirts. Eventually they'll associate that action with getting wet. If you have a real stubborn cat who doesn't care about water, using 25-50% vinegar usually works.

SCRATCHERS: What does your cat go for? Soft textures or rough? High, low, horizontal?

I have an indoor/outdoor throw made of jute twine. My cats both started going for it as well as the carpet as soon as I brought them home. I managed to break them (in 2 weeks!) of doing the carpet and just decided to let them have the jute throw.

THere are scratchers you can get that are an 18-24" board w/ rope (sisal) wrapped around them with a rope hanger for a doorknob. My cats never liked them on doorknobs because they're unstable. I have one on the floor and one nailed to a support post. I watched my cat stretch and then hung it at the right height. Since they both also like upholstery, I put a piece of carpet remnant on the floor (NOT on the rug) as well as nailed a piece to the post (a corner of a wall is a good place to do this), too.

Then I bring the cat over to the board and put him on it, and make his paws like they were scratching, saying "good boy, good kitty" over and over until they get sick of me. Then I do it with my fingers, again saying good boy. Every time the cat walks by the scratchers I do this; first them, then me. Eventually just me. In a matter of DAYS all I have to do is say their name when they walk by, scratch the thing(s) myself, and they jump up and do it, too!

Within 4-5 days they will do it themselves without any encouragement. When I see them do it, I go nuts with the "good kitties".

BUT... there's still their desire to scratch the furniture and carpet...

OK. I've given them a place to scratch in the textures they prefer. I've reinforced their need to scratch and praise them for going where I want them to go.

Back to the squirt bottle and staying on high alert.

There's also a product - StickyPaws - that's like double-sided tape for furniture. Put it where you see them scratch. If it gets too expensive or there are too many areas, you can get large rolls of plastic wrap (if you have a Costco or Sam's Club they have industrial size boxes of really good stuff) and literally wrap the stuff around your chairs and couches.

The tape and/or wrap will not be there forever. They will soon turn their attention to the scratchers you have set up.

It's about staying consistent and staying on high alert. I'm driving my husband nuts with how I'm constantly creeping around after our new cats with the water bottle; he's never seen me train a cat before. But I brought 2 cats home 15 days ago, and the boy is addicted to the scratching post and the girl is still going between it and the furniture. But the point is, she's going between them!

Re: cat nail files/etc. - rope (jute, sisal) is great for dulling, where carpeting is great for pulling sheaths and cleaning the nails. There are cardboard scratchers that are kind of in between those textures. I've had cats who didn't care for them and others who did.

Remember: you can't stop a cat from scratching. Where and how much, though, you can control. Keep their claws as short as possible. Constantly encourage them to use the scratchers. And praise.

Cats know they're wonderful; they need to know that YOU know they're wonderful, too!

Please let me know if this works for you!

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom09

The key to using a towel with a cat is this: Do it quick, and do it tight. It's really best to do this with the aid of someone else, so they can hold the towel while you do the work. We call this the "kitty burrito."

Lay the towel on the table or floor and put the cat on the towel, including its hind legs and front legs. Wrap the towel tightly and lift it all at once. Keep the cat tight against the body (elbow holding rear to torso, arm holding body to torso, hand holding chest and head to torso). Pull the leg out that you want to cut. The other person should press the elbow of the cat to extend the leg; you take the paw and extend the claws. WHen done with that leg, push it back in the "burrito" and pull out another leg.

I only had to burrito my cats a few times before they let me do it either by me just holding them, or by sitting over them with them on the floor between my legs (feet together so they can't back out). The trick is to keep them in as natural a position as possible. If you put a cat on its back it'll want to right itself. If you pull the leg out to the side it will want to extend it forward.
I'm sort of the "master" of clipping claws at the shelter I volunteer at and one trick I've learned is that a large remnant of polar fleece is a great material for the "kitty burrito". Needs to be at least 3 feet by 3 feet or so- about "throw blanket" size is good for a cat who's really resistant to the idea- anything bigger than that and it's just cumbersome. It's great because it's a little stretchy so you can wrap them tight and it gently swaddles them.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't actually tried this, but my vet tech swears it works for her:

Have you ever tried to put a harness on your cat so you can take her for a walk? They usually flop over and become boneless. So my vet tech puts a harness on her cat and then clips his nails!!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I haven't actually tried this, but my vet tech swears it works for her:

Have you ever tried to put a harness on your cat so you can take her for a walk? They usually flop over and become boneless. So my vet tech puts a harness on her cat and then clips his nails!!!
What a clever idea!

For a cat that isn't used to harness that is.
(My cats, being harness trained would not flop)

Seriously though, even if you (as in anyone) find ways to wrap and make it work, don't give up on the paw work training. It may take years, but it's worth it.

It took three years of daily Paw Work training for Mazy to finally allow me to trim her nails at home. Three years may seem like a long time, but the cats aren't going anywhere so I didn't see any reason not to keep working at it, you know?

dave t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great thread everyone! I need to start clipping too, and I appreciate the suggestions you have made. Thanks very much!

Dave

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always hated giving my kitty's nails a trim as she was a feral who never really got over being a feral. After a lot of work and patience I was finally able to get her nails clipped using this method.

I would find her when she was sleeping on our bed. Never approached her when she's awake or else I'd lose some blood, lol. Then I would sort of climb on top of her on the bed, putting my chest over her body, my head above her head. I wouldn't put any weight on her of course, but I used my chest to sort of hold her in place if she wanted to move. If she fought too much I would just find another time to come back. Then I bring my arms around her from either side and hold out her paw, push on the little paw pad gently to get to the digit with the nail to be clipped. I would clip 1 or 2 nails in a single sitting. Never more because by the time I got to the second or third claw she would realize what's happening and start to squirm. Afterwards, I gave Kitty a couple of treats, and gave her lots of praise (both during and after the clipping). I remembered where I left off and picked up again with another 1-2 nails in a couple of days. Eventually you'll get all of them and then its time to repeat.

Kitty did really well using this method. I was never able to clip her claws in any other position without getting scratched pretty bad. She even got to like it when it was time for the clipping, would start her motor cause I would give her a good head scritchie before the clip and while I was clipping she was still happy and content for the first nail. Oh yeah, I have only used human nail clippers. I find they work quite well for this job. Never tried the ones meant for kitties though, as these seem to work fine.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fisheater

I always hated giving my kitty's nails a trim as she was a feral who never really got over being a feral. After a lot of work and patience I was finally able to get her nails clipped using this method.

I would find her when she was sleeping on our bed. Never approached her when she's awake or else I'd lose some blood, lol. Then I would sort of climb on top of her on the bed, putting my chest over her body, my head above her head. I wouldn't put any weight on her of course, but I used my chest to sort of hold her in place if she wanted to move. If she fought too much I would just find another time to come back. Then I bring my arms around her from either side and hold out her paw, push on the little paw pad gently to get to the digit with the nail to be clipped. I would clip 1 or 2 nails in a single sitting. Never more because by the time I got to the second or third claw she would realize what's happening and start to squirm. Afterwards, I gave Kitty a couple of treats, and gave her lots of praise (both during and after the clipping). I remembered where I left off and picked up again with another 1-2 nails in a couple of days. Eventually you'll get all of them and then its time to repeat.

Kitty did really well using this method. I was never able to clip her claws in any other position without getting scratched pretty bad. She even got to like it when it was time for the clipping, would start her motor cause I would give her a good head scritchie before the clip and while I was clipping she was still happy and content for the first nail. Oh yeah, I have only used human nail clippers. I find they work quite well for this job. Never tried the ones meant for kitties though, as these seem to work fine.
Terrific tips for the incorrigibles!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel so lucky...My cats dont like to scratch the furniture which is AMAZING because the first rule of me having cats (well it was supposed to be one cat and is now three lol) NO FURNITURE SCRATCHING! My BF had just bought a brand spanking new couch right before we moved in together. So far I have one cat who likes to scratch on one doormat we have which is ok because its ugly anyways and only out because I get sick of people tracking mud and dirt into my house. Hercules likes to scratch on wood logs with the really rough bark so I always try and keep atleast one good sized log in the house for him to scratch on. GiGi the baby LOVES her turbo scratch and the sisel rope scratchers from WalMart. Shes the only one who uses them and Ive had all three scratchers for 2 yrs now. I only have to trim Hercules nails though because he isnt a scratcher all the time and has two nails on each paw that will grow into his pads if left unattended. In the 2 yrs Ive had him he has gotten accustomed to me grabbing the clippers once a weeks and trimming those 4 claws. I dont have to do the other two cats. When I trim Hercules nails I try and catch him when he is sleeping and just try and do it as quick as possible. Its hard sometimes because he has long toe tufts so I have to becareful to not grab a hunk of toe fur along with the nail. I dont do them super short just enough that I can get the sharp part off so it doesnt grow too long. It takes time but eventually you will be able to do it yourself. If not Id try your vets office or a groomer.