Cleo is in labor I am a wreck

gailail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i would put lub on my fingers and gentle ease it out VERY GENTLE THO that what i had to do with my dogs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsay_21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
baby is out and she is eating what looks like the umbilical cord. Should she then tear the sack?

gailail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes she should but if not tear sack with your fingers and you might need a towel to rub it cos she might not after you tear sac

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, she should be licking the kitten's face to open the sack.

passiquepersian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
GREAT!
Yes she should be tearing the sack but if not you should help her by gently breaking it open and pulling it past the kittens head so it can breathe. What color is the kitten?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

lindsay_21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THe kitten is not resposive? Anything I can do

gailail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
put it inbetween you hand and lift up thenthrow you hand down with kitten don't let go of kitten that should clear the air way

gailail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
rub it we a towel and if hand moving dosen't work open kitten smouth and try and clear fluid that way

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did mamacat sever the umbellical cord? Have you broken the sack? You can try to get a warm washcloth and clean up the kitten.

passiquepersian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsay_21

THe kitten is not resposive? Anything I can do
Pick the kitten up in a towel and rub her pretty aggressively but not to hard....this will stimulate her to breathe.

If she is still not responding...cup her in your hands (wrapped in a towel) and swing her between your legs once or twice....this will get the flud out of her lungs.

She could also not respond because she was in the birth canal for a long time.

Good Luck!!!

gailail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stimulate by rubbing the body with the towel especially the along the spine vigorously with the towel, if breathing does not begin promptly, aspirate again, pull on the tongue, & stimulate with rubbing again. IF the kitten doesn't start breathing promptly, put one (1) drop of DOPRAM under the kitten's tongue - do NOT repeat. Then begin stimulating by rubbing again. Keep up all stimulation efforts (rubbing, aspirating, pulling tongue) for five minutes or until the kitten is breathing properly.

If there are wet sounds in the throat or chest despite aspiration, hold the kitten in both hands with the head of the kitten pointing toward youor finger tips. Raise the kitten above your head & then swing the kitten down in an arc in front of you explosively (suddenly & rapidly) several times and then aspirate the kitten's throat again. This should cause any fluids in the trachea to move into the throat where you can aspirate them.

Warmth
Once breathing regularly without gurgly sounds, the kitten should be placed on a heating pad. Then clamp the cord slightly closer to the body than the original tear, clip the torn end, apply iodine to the WHOLE cord and around the base, and remove the hemostat, reapplying iodine to the area that had been clamped by the hemostat.

I advise letting the mother sniff & wash the kitten if she is not in the midst of delivering a second kitten, then returning the kitten to the heating pad until all the kittens have been delivered.

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is Cleo doing right now? Can you rub her belly?

lindsay_21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After doing all that the kitten is not breathing and is cold despite warm towels.

gailail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes i breed cats only once a year tho i'm into my bengals i getting a new one soon

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's the kitten doing? Is it breathing? Responsive? Oh, I do hope it's okay, and that momma is too! I'll say a prayer for your little guy/gal! All the advice given above is great advice! That's the best you can do!

gailail

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sorry hun it looks like you losted it
what is the mother doing now

P.s i always leave kitten with her as sometime they will move to get to the kitten