Cleaning cat Urine/Spray.

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My male cats have been urinating or spraying on the furniture. One cat is near impossible to litter train but I have to keep him in due to an eye condition until it is treated and heals. They've urinated and one defecated in the bedroom but not a big deal, only two rooms  are carpeted with short carpeting. Alll I do in that case is spray it down with cleaner or a solution, soak it up with a cloth, carpet deodorizer. I either buy cheap dollar store carper deodorizer or Arm and Hammer carpet deodorizer and litter box deodorizer for the litter box.

The furniture such as couch and chair are near impossible to clean thoroughly and rid of the smell. I've tried and I can slightly reduce the smell but not eliminate it. I had to bag the cushions to try keeping them from soaking the cushions but they've dug holes in the bags or the urine seeps under the cushions. I think I'm faced with no other choice but to chuck the furniture, buy new furniture and buy pet protective plastic covering. Any fabric I have over the covers could be simply removed and tossed in the wash.

I've read online about using a homemade solution of vinegar and water. I'm unsure if normal tap water is fine or something like bottled seltzer is required for this to be effective. I have carpet spray, deoderizor, fabric spray, air fresheners, cleaning/bleach spray for bare floors to reduce the smell.

I'm wondering if I have all I need and am doing all I can or if there's something more effective out there?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
White vinegar and water does eliminate the smell of the cat pee but you are then left with furniture that smells of vinegar. The best thing to do is use an enzyme cleaner that breaks down the urine. It gets rid of the smell so that the cats don't think they are supposed to pee there.

I really like this one. Works great, doesn't leave any stains and smells really nice too.

http://www.fizzionclean.com/Award-Winning-Fizzion-Reusable-Cleaning/dp/B00FJ5S7NS#.VP0GjXysWSo

You just put one tablet in the bottle and fill it up with warm water. You can buy packets of the tablets so it works out cheaper than buying a new bottle every time.

Bleach isn't so good to use because it smells of ammonia, as does urine, and the cats will think it's OK to pee there.

How many litter boxes do you have? Are they using the litter boxes at all or just the floor and the furniture? Have they been neutered? This usually stops them from spraying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I am working on getting them in for neutering and spaying and have already had two males done. These are ferals that I've took in to care for, litter train, socialize and eventually find homes for. I've explained that in other threads so no need to go into detail.

I have one large litter box in the bathroom. I have two others and the only place I have to set those up is the spare bedroom designated as the cat room. I have a problem with keeping the cats from kicking the litter outside the box, tracking litter and feces stuck to their paws around the house so I removed the boxes from the bedroom until I can figure a way to keep litter or anything else from getting on the floor. I used the vinegar solution on the furniture and plastic bag over the cushions, as far as I know they haven't sprayed or urinated on the bare floors  and it's either the rugs or furniture so I use normal cleaner for the bare floors. I had to close off access to my bedroom unless I'm in there on the bed as my cat has urinated on my bed which I had to try spraying, scrubbing and using a towel or cloth to absorb.

Now it's just the carpet in the spare bedroom, couch and chair. Oddly they have not urinated or sprayed on my computer chair. My fear is one of them will get on top of my computer and urinate, my computer has ventilation and a fan at the top. If they did that bye bye computer and expensive hardware I can't replace. I shut off all power to it at night as a precaution and sniff it to make sure they didn't urinate inside it.