CKD kitty/SubQ and other questions

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok. My bottle of Vitamin B -12 is 1000mcg/ml.
My personal cat weighs about 3.6 kgs. I give her 0.5cc SQ in her fluids once a month. When I started giving it, I would give her 0.5cc once a week. I did that for several months. Then I backed down to once a month.

There is another cat I know who is bigger, about 6kg. He gets 0.5cc in the muscle once a month.

I have never seen a cat get more than 0.5cc more frequently than twice a week.

Just make sure you have a small syringe usually a 1cc syringe is easiest, to be sure you accurately dose the half of a ml.

Also to note in medications like this a “cc” and an “ml” are the same.

Hope this helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, that should be every WEEK not day, for six weeks. Cat weighs 4.6 kg. Thank you.

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has 1000 mil bags so would be unable to put the B12 inthe bag, wouldn't know how much. But this is where i obtained the information about giving it subcutaneously, so could give it separately Vitamin B12 for Dogs and Cats

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don’t put it into the bag. It is light sensitive. Just inject it into one of the ports on the line.

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The actual calculation you asked for would be 0.23cc.
Thanks. Sounds obvious doesn't it haha. Dufuss day, cat now has diarrhea from Fancy Feast, same another poster, I bought in desperation and had to rush to clinic for antibiotics. So listen up people :barfgreen:

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t put it into the bag. It is light sensitive. Just inject it into one of the ports on the line.
Yeah but 0.23 cc in a 1000 bag will be like a tub of ice cream in a swimming pool. I give him 100 mil ten times out of that.

Last edited:

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've just found B12 easily available here (wish the vets knew) and very cheap from multiple pharmacies. It's also administered sublingually so easy as I poke him with Ringers every morning. Thanks.

Btw, some asked about his numbers Creatin went from 9.10 to just 8.84 and BUN - 109 to 121.4 due to the high phos diet my vet is now pleased I've jettisoned :/
Sorry, subcutaneously not sublingually.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok, so you give 100 mls at a time so you would give 0.23 mls in one fluid line port while you are giving him the fluids.

If you were to want to dose the entire bag it would be 2.3cc but you shouldn’t do that because the light will inactivate the vitamin.

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Put it in the y port while you are giving the fluids. Set it up first before you start.
Put it in the y port while you are giving the fluids. Set it up first before you start.
That Y port is solid plastic and I can't find where a needle would go into it. I don't even know what it's for (scant information here). Thanks for the diagram but the port can't be taken apart, I've just tried. Could I not just inject the line above or below it? Thanks.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is a small rubber stopper inside the hard round piece that in what you inject into the center of it. You can’t inject into the tubing or it will ruin your line.

Post a picture of your set up.

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a small rubber stopper inside the hard round piece that in what you inject into the center of it. You can’t inject into the tubing or it will ruin your line.

Post a picture of your set up.
It's ok. I've just inserted a needle through it. Thanks for your patience.

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
View attachment 453323

• ChuChu Cat Nourishing Smoothie with egg white formula contains antioxidants as high as 91.28 µmol per 80 g serving.
• It is a soft texture cat food with high protein.

• Egg white extract albumin (Albumin) formula with high protein. help build muscle Repair the wear and tear of the body

• Suitable for cats who need special kidney care.

• Protein is extracted from egg whites, fish, chicken and vitamins in the right amount.

• Complete nutrition, high protein, helps maintain health. when healthy Good immune system, not easily sick, get sick quickly

• No preservatives. least processed

• For cats over 3 months old.

• The can is opened. Store no more than 3 days (in the refrigerator).
Yeah, I have three boxes of it waiting for the antibiotics from the filthy Fancy Feast to kick in and if he refuses the Choo Choo again, I have two new BIG syringes. Btw, they also do a VERY popular soup I've never tried. Right now he's on Perfecta Senior dry whilst recuperating.

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. If he got 200mls IV in a short amount of time it can cause heart failure. Heart failure would cause him not to eat. Stress could cause him not to eat. Progression of his kidney disease can cause him not to eat.
Just to give you an idea on fluids. A ten lb cat in a hospital would get 10 mls an hour. That rate might get bumped up to 20 mls an hour for a short time. So, that would be about 200 mls for the entire 24 hour day. You should never give a cat a bolts of 200 mls which is what that would be given over 2 hours.

There is a difference with IV and SQ. SQ will still hydrate. I wouldn’t give 200 every other day. I would do 100mls every day. Making sure that all previous fluids from the prior time have been absorbed before giving more.

I wouldn’t recommend a transplant. Only a few hospitals do them and they take a kidney from a healthy cat. You have to provide a home for the healthy-cat that donates his kidney. The cats don’t volunteer to do this.
Having seen the first and only time he had been given 200 mil of IV in just an hour, could you please advise how long it should take? I may have to resort to another bout at my local clinic and she'd asked '200 mils in an hour right?, after I'd told her that was the amount and time at a previous vet. You really are on your own here. Obviously not. With everything :/ Thank you.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn’t do more than 20 mls an hour. Even at that rate I would be watching the cat very carefully for signs of respiratory distress.

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn’t do more than 20 mls an hour. Even at that rate I would be watching the cat very carefully for signs of respiratory distress.
I really don't understand why the animal hospital did it anyway. All I said was I was concerned the boss doctor (aged) had recommended tuna for a CKD cat after his numbers showed his creatin had gone down slightly but his BUN very high and another doctor asked me to bring him in for the 1 hour IV which left him wobbly and unable to eat anything for a day and a half. He's on subQ 100 mils a day anyway and doing well. Thought I'd better ask someone with the logic sadly lacking here in case it's needed, what for I don't know, crashing?. Even his long time clinic vet had asked '1 hour on 200 mils IV yes?' Not Why?! Anyway. Thanks again for your help. Keeping him away from vets now. ALL of them, unless meds needed .