Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

do you know when she mated? because then you can count the days to see if she is actually in LABOUR Or not...
By the way ive assisted a birth with my cat and i didnt see and discharge?
I know approximately when she mated. Now is about the right time. Even the vet aggrees.

The discharge is normally licked away before most people see it, but, since I've watched CJ 24-7 for the past week, I noticed it.
The vet said it can be normal for discharge a few days before birth.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cassie, are you saying that when you told the vet that CJ lost her mucous plug now nearly 48 hours ago and had a milky to yellow colored discharge that he said this is normal and did not want to see her? I find that disturbing if it is true and think that maybe it is time to call a different vet.

While yes, some kitties can have a bit of a discharge that is licked away long before humans can detect it, if what you said the other night about her losing the plug is in fact what happened, then those babies are in trouble and you need to intervene now. I know it can be confusing because cats are so individual about these sorts of things, but if you are 100% absolutely certain she lost the plug, then she's in trouble and so are the babies.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with everything Gaye said in her post. I have been breeding cats for 5 years now, so I have probably gone through just about every scenereo possible.
Every kitten delivery is different. The fact that you have seen discharge for 48 hours, and you think it may be yellow raises a flag for me. In general, once you see discharge, they go into labor within 24 hours.
If you are going to wait for her to see the vet....Some of the things you need to watch for- if you do not feel any kittens moving or kicking, she's not showing any signs of contractions, increased discharge, you need to get her in right away.

caterpillar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
CJ may not have lost the mucous plug, if it wasn't a pinkish, red tinged discharge. She could just be having more normal, yellowish discharge than usual and having some contractions. When the contractions become regular, that's when labor begins.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cassie, I have to back Gaye and Sandie up on this hon......if you're certain that the plug was lost, these kits and your baby CJ are in serious trouble, not only can you lose them if you don't intervene, you stand a very real, very large chance of losing your wee sweet girl too hon! Please, please, please take her to the vet ASAP and get her seen, for me, and all of us here? We care very much about you and CJ, and honestly, I'm not ready to light wee little candles in the Rainbow bridge right now, and I don't want you to have to either. That's one of the "joys" of breeding, making sure that all goes well here at the last when you go from pregnacy to birthing....and sometimes we have to intervene to get healthy babies!

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has mucous discharge, is that for certain the mucous plug?
All I know, is she had a little discharge, and that it wasn't constant, and that she was acting funny. I'm not positive... I don't know. I will see how all goes!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cassie,

I bred cats for 13 years, so I had a few litters, and I ran into all kinds of situations. If the discharge was watery, you can bet there is serious trouble, as that would mean one of the kittens has already had their sack ruptured.

If the discharge was a bit pinkish and was mucousy, plus the contractions and bit of straining perhaps (the leg up in the air, the discomfort in her nesting box), then she should have begun having kittens within 36 hours.

The opaque aka milky-yellowish discharge, along with contractions that began and then stopped is worrisome. If that discharge becomes greenish, that is even more worrisome. You need to hear what everyone is saying, this is a serious situation that deserves vet attention, even if the vet over the phone didn't think so.

Is she still eating and drinking? How is her breathing - is it rapid? Is she still contracting, has she started and stopped pushing at any point? My concern is 1)rupture of membranes with no delivery can lead to infection and a kitten blocking the birth canal 2) discharge such as this can simply indicate an infection which can lead to fever, and poor quality contractions which do not accomplish delivery, 3)contractions that start and stop and *if* she's straining at all/pushing at all with no results, may mean an awkward presentation of one kitten, poor quality contractions (a uterine inertia).

All of the above require vet attention and intervention. Please.

I'm sorry if this is blunt, but I think straight facts of what may be happening, is what you need.

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Cassie call the vet. Don't mess around with this. What you are describing points to a troublesome delivery. Please call the vet now and take CJ in to be seen quickly!
I agree! Please!

andeshan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I remembered correctly did you not say earlier in this thread that you had switched CJ over to Kitten chow just recently? That could cuase an upset stomach and Diarrhea. I know when I switched Samona over 2 weeks before she gave birth she has the same discharge and soon discovered it was the switch in food.

She ALSO had contrations twice before giving birth and this was to get the babies in place to be born. It is good to call the Vet and have him on call if anything seems out of place. But, if CJ is acting fairly normal the vet may not be concerned. I know I am not a Vet, but I have worked with them and studied for awhile to be a vet but had to stop due to personal reasons.

You are doing the right thing in keeping an eye on CJ. CJ is in good hands with a loving mother like yourself.

sheva's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new to this site; however I have been watching and waiting with all ofyou on the arrival of these new babies. I am also expecting kittens anyday now, and I to have been through this before and still have many questions because every birth, and every cat is different. I am disturbed that everyone is hounding this poor young girl (15 if I recall) and pushing her to take her cat to the vet. If you read she sounds very confused and she does have a mother there. What if her mother will not take the cat to the vet. Shouldn't we be more supportive. It is obvious that she loves her little girl. I dont believe that her motherwill let the animal die. Sorry if I come across harsh, I don't mean to. But now I am not only worried about CJ and her kittens, Iam worried about her mommy too. Hang in there I believe you will do what is best for your CJ. You are there and can see how she is acting.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sheva's Mom

I am new to this site; however I have been watching and waiting with all ofyou on the arrival of these new babies. I am also expecting kittens anyday now, and I to have been through this before and still have many questions because every birth, and every cat is different. I am disturbed that everyone is hounding this poor young girl (15 if I recall) and pushing her to take her cat to the vet. If you read she sounds very confused and she does have a mother there. What if her mother will not take the cat to the vet. Shouldn't we be more supportive. It is obvious that she loves her little girl. I dont believe that her motherwill let the animal die. Sorry if I come across harsh, I don't mean to. But now I am not only worried about CJ and her kittens, Iam worried about her mommy too. Hang in there I believe you will do what is best for your CJ. You are there and can see how she is acting.
Whoa. It doesn't help this girl who loves this cat if we do not respond honestly to what she asked. She asked what we thought, well several of us, with many years of experience, are very worried about this cat and the litter it is carrying.

I sincerely hope that all will be well, that is my hope and wish for this cat.

sheva's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like I said in my last posting, I didn't mean to sound harsh, nor was my intent to offend anyone. I was just trying to point out that she is young and her resources may not be what yours or mine might be.

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Andeshan

If I remembered correctly did you not say earlier in this thread that you had switched CJ over to Kitten chow just recently? That could cuase an upset stomach and Diarrhea. I know when I switched Samona over 2 weeks before she gave birth she has the same discharge and soon discovered it was the switch in food.

She ALSO had contrations twice before giving birth and this was to get the babies in place to be born. It is good to call the Vet and have him on call if anything seems out of place. But, if CJ is acting fairly normal the vet may not be concerned. I know I am not a Vet, but I have worked with them and studied for awhile to be a vet but had to stop due to personal reasons.

You are doing the right thing in keeping an eye on CJ. CJ is in good hands with a loving mother like yourself.
This sounds like good advice.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sheva's Mom

Can I make one thing clear here? This is a CAT welfare board, not a human welfare board, ok? We humans are able to take care of ourselves, but our kits depend on us to make some decisions for them, and when their lives are in danger, as is possibly the case here, they come first, humans second. I also should point out that all the posters who are "pushing" for her to be vetted have plenty of "birthing" experience....Gayef and Sandie are current breeders, Pat & Alix was a breeder for many years and I personally bred for just over 10 years myself. So, please don't think we're being too harsh on Cassie, we do care about her, but those babies and their momcat are the first priority. Would you rather we be a bit pushy about the vet business, or sit back and potentially lose them all??

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well said, Cindy!

I agree 100%!

The thing is, Cassie is important to us. Her baby could be in danger here. Not only are we trying to help her, but we are striving to help Cassie. How hurt would Cassie be if CJ were to get horribly sick, or even pass away?
By trying to protect CJ from pain, we are also protecting Cassie.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So Cassie? I see you are giving advice in other threads- how is CJ this morning? Did you manage to get her to the vet? Any kittens yet? Please know that many are concerned for you, they have been as of day one. I do hope all is well with your odd-eyed kitty?

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

So Cassie? I see you are giving advice in other threads- how is CJ this morning? Did you manage to get her to the vet? Any kittens yet? Please know that many are concerned for you, they have been as of day one. I do hope all is well with your odd-eyed kitty?
No... there are still no kittys. The vet didn't seem concerned at all. I think that her behavior change was just because she's sick and tired of carrying those kitties around!
As for the discharge, she had a little more, and the vet told me that it is sometimes normal for a cat to have discharge a few days before giving birth. So, I think all will be fine.

Thanks again!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, Cassie, like Hissy, I see that you have been giving advice to others ... which I find a bit odd considering you really haven't taken any of the advice we've offered to you. Hissy is right, there are a lot of people concerned and quite worried for you and more specifically, for CJ. In fact, the very first thing I did this morning when I got up was to check this thread to see if you had taken CJ in to the vet - which I see you have not. How is she this morning?

You might think (as perhaps do others) that we are being hard on you - well, maybe we are. But from the information you have given us, what else did you (or anyone else for that matter) expect? We are concerned about CJ, her babies and of course, about you and your feelings should something bad happen. When people have worries, they react ... sometimes the reaction can seem harsh. It isn't our intention to be hard on you so much as it is our hope that you will learn from the mistakes we see you making - I realize you are only a kid and must go along with what your parents think is best, but YOU are the one posting here asking what we think - YOU are the one that is watching and caring for CJ - what are we supposed to do?

~gf~

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Yes, Cassie, like Hissy, I see that you have been giving advice to others ... which I find a bit odd considering you really haven't taken any of the advice we've offered to you. Hissy is right, there are a lot of people concerned and quite worried for you and more specifically, for CJ. In fact, the very first thing I did this morning when I got up was to check this thread to see if you had taken CJ in to the vet - which I see you have not. How is she this morning?

You might think (as perhaps do others) that we are being hard on you - well, maybe we are. But from the information you have given us, what else did you (or anyone else for that matter) expect? We are concerned about CJ, her babies and of course, about you and your feelings should something bad happen. When people have worries, they react ... sometimes the reaction can seem harsh. It isn't our intention to be hard on you so much as it is our hope that you will learn from the mistakes we see you making - I realize you are only a kid and must go along with what your parents think is best, but YOU are the one posting here asking what we think - YOU are the one that is watching and caring for CJ - what are we supposed to do?

~gf~
Gayef... there's no need to be defensive. I do not consider your advice harsh, just your thoughts and advice.
Furthermore, I DO take in your advice, but, what am I supposed to do if my mother thinks and believes CJ is okay? Also, the vet seems to think she's fine, as well. I would appreciate next time if you would not jump to conclusions, and accuse me of asking for advice, then ignoring it!

Status
Not open for further replies.