Christmas Issues with Mom

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! Like I said about Thanksgiving, holidays are not allowed to be easy

For the last 3 years, we have not exchanged gifts with my parents or brother, per their request. This year, we expected to be no different, and since Christmas is on a Saturday, we would just drive up on Christmas morning and stay until early Sunday afternoon, then come home because we have to work on Monday (because of our cross country trip + out sick/days off already taken this year, I didn't take off excessive days at Xmas this year, plus my analyst will be out, so our back up has to cover for him all week).

My brother messaged me and said "What does Roberto want for Christmas?" I was like what? Wait, are we exchanging with YOU or the whole family? Thinking maybe he wanted to do something himself. He said he ask mom and get back to me. He asked her and she said we'd exchange small gifts, nothing extravagant. I called Rob at work to see what he wanted, and while I was talking to him, my brother sent me another message on my cell saying "Mom says forget the gifts if you're only coming for a day and that's it! She's really really really upset now!" I was like WHAT? where did that come from???

I told my dad two days ago on the phone our plans to come up, because we also have to have Xmas with my in-laws, and planned to do that Sunday evening after we got home. Though since I have Xmas eve off, we may have decided to do it then. I guess my dad never told my mom I said that, and she had a fit because i told him and not her. But she's having a fit like I set it in stone 2 months ago instead of mentioning it 2 days ago!!
She never answers the phone when I call, and if I do she gives it to my dad. She usually avoids answering my emails, stating they get sent to her junk box all the time, or she forgets to reply. She always turns down coming here, and last year for Christmas they spent maybe 6 or 7 hours at my house before going back home. And we are the bad people for coming up for a day and a half?

I called their house and my brother answered, "relaying" back and forth. My mom wouldn't even get on the flippin' phone then either to talk to me! I told him they need to COMMUNICATE with me if they want us to do something specific. Rob had hung up from me and said he really didn't want to go after all if everyone's going to be so cranky when we are there. So then my brother said "Fine! Dont come if you dont want! Or just come for one day but forget the presents!"

Rob asked me if him saying that means we have an out, because he hasn't wanted to go since my parents turned down our Labor Day party invitation and Thanksgiving invitation. I kept asking when my mom expected me to come up there - (she has off Dec 22 or 23 through January 3rd) - because I was unaware I had to stay for multiple days. My mom even used the "you live behind your in-laws and can see them everyday, so it's not really fair or important to see them on sunday." What is her deal!?!?! My dad said she already got me a gift, I said she'll probably set it on fire while stabbing a voodoo doll of me

*Shakes head* Now I'm sick, frustrated, and losing my voice from yelling in the phone so much today on top of potential bronchitis. My dad said he was going to tell my mom to call me and tell me what she wants to do so we can plan accordingly, but either he'll forget or she'll be stubborn and not call. My grandma got mad too and said "I really don't know what her deal is! I would do whatever YOU want to do on Christmas and forget her making you so aggravated!"

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not just make things simple for yourself?

Plan your holiday dinner at your home on Christmas. Then call up the people you want to come and extend an invitation.

Make enough food for everyone, and then if people don't show up, freeze the left overs and have them for future dinners.

Holidays aren't supposed to be about stress and aggravation. Take yourself out of the equation. If people want to be miserable, let them. But they have to do it on their own.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Why not just make things simple for yourself?

Plan your holiday dinner at your home on Christmas. Then call up the people you want to come and extend an invitation.

Make enough food for everyone, and then if people don't show up, freeze the left overs and have them for future dinners.

Holidays aren't supposed to be about stress and aggravation. Take yourself out of the equation. If people want to be miserable, let them. But they have to do it on their own.
that is what I would do, for some reason its the one holiday that turns some people into complete stress heads

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree.

Growing up we spent holidays at home. special meals and MAYBE one aunt and uncle over as they were local and childless and at one point 20 minutes away.

When I moved out from the start I would stay home and relax. Most holiday we drive around as I find it peaceful to be on road when its quiet.

My mom plays those games at times-alot less now as when stuff starts I just stop calling. weeks months...whatever it takes.

Over years the best I learned is positive rewards. Treat me well see me, start crap I go away. Distance makes the heart grow fonder

Hope you can come to some agreeable/streesless(as possible...) idea/plans

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the others. Do whatever is the least stressful for you. You don't have to deal with crap, especially around the holidays.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh hun, you KNOW I understand.
Sometimes I think families are more trouble than anything else. I'm actually looking forward to it just being Dana and I this year, not having anyone else to worry about. You're never going to make everyone happy, so sometimes it's best just to make YOURSELF happy.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

My grandma got mad too and said "I really don't know what her deal is! I would do whatever YOU want to do on Christmas and forget her making you so aggravated!"
I'd say your grandma got it right.
to you and Rob. Have a Merry Christmas!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

...My grandma got mad too and said "I really don't know what her deal is! I would do whatever YOU want to do on Christmas and forget her making you so aggravated!"
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I'd say your grandma got it right.
to you and Rob. Have a Merry Christmas!
Yup, I agree, listen to grandma. If your mom wants to be uncommunicative and mess things up for you, let her stew in the mess by herself on Christmas. Reclaim Christmas for yourself and your SO.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Yup, I agree, listen to grandma. If your mom wants to be uncommunicative and mess things up for you, let her stew in the mess by herself on Christmas. Reclaim Christmas for yourself and your SO.
I agree with all of the above. Christmas is about rejoicing in the birth of Jesus and being with your loved ones and it is not about using a special day to hurt one another.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sent an email to BOTH my parents today, so neither can say they didn't know, and asked them WHAT the plans are, so we can make a schedule. But after this, I'm thinking of just making all holidays at our house. They will in turn say that it's not fair, because my in-laws live 200 ft away, and my parents live 200 miles away. I want to work things out and not have to be stressed! My in-laws already told me to not worry about Christmas since we can do it whenever, even during the week, but I told them it's not the point - it's not fair my mom thinks they don't count or something because they live so close to us.

Next year for Christmas, we are driving to New Jersey to spend it with my grandma, who I haven't gotten to spend Christmas with since 2003. She is probably the closest family member to me these days, and totally awesome. She always tells me I'm the light of her life, and will tell everyone she comes across how much she loves me. I hate that I don't live close to her anymore.

I feel terrible, because my dad has a miserable life living with my mom and brother, who both verbalize they want him to die or leave so he's not around anymore. I was daddy's girl, and I've been gone since 2005. He loves Rob, whereas my mom has always been crabby towards him. I hated telling him we may not come up, because I could hear it upset him. But I don't see a point in a miserable Christmas. If my mother can't see that I'm TRYING to work something out and be accommodating, or just ignores it, then I give up and will do whatever the heck I want from now on. If she wants to communicate with me in the future, she can. But if she's going to continue to be the way she is being, I'm not going to bother trying to fix things all the time.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie, It took me a long time to get, that I can't fix everything and everybody. I was always the peace keeper. The one who accommedated everyone else. I have so much more peace in my life, when I decided to do what makes, my hubby and kids and myself happy. If the rest of the family doesn't like. Oh well.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tara

Im sorry to sound crass saying this but you need to cut your losses. Your mom is doing anything she can to drag you down to whatever black pit she is in and already dragged your brother down to. Your Grandma is right, and so are the other posters!!! You just need to do what is best for you and Rob and if that is cutting the strings to your mom and her toxicity then do it.

I know exactly what you are going thru, Ive had toxic people to deal with in both my family and BFs but when push comes to shove you just have to do whats best for YOU! Being stuck in a loop of nastyness ignorance and plain ole B word ness isnt good for you.