Chickster Growling at butt

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is such a joyous occassion when she goes poop, so just letting you all know SHE WENT POOP this evening! It was still way too firm in my opinion, but at least it's coming out! So more water and more miralax. And she has been acting like a total lover ever since. So this peeing/pooping issue is definitely having something to do with the fits! Sooooo hafta tell the vet tomorrow!

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is strange.

I gave her the meds and miralax this morning, she pitched a fit, then had a fit, then I picked her up immediately and took her to the pan. She peed. a LOT. Then she was fine. She came upstairs while me and Mom were talking and got on Mom's bed and was purry, lovey, everything fine.

This is, second day in the row I've taken her down there, stood over her and she'd peed with no problems. No crying, no trembling, no straining. It's like she wants me there with her.

I've upped the miralax just a tad, since some is seeming to get lost in the mix, so I am giving 1/4 ts and barely 1/8 ts together with nearly a full mL of water. So we'll see. Wondering about the litter pan tho.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Got no idea about the litter box. Why do you have to lift her into it? Does she have free access to one all the time and this is just something you do to get her to "go" on command, so to speak? Cats are strange...maybe she likes the praise she gets when you see her go? If you're like me, you praise her everytime she poops, right? I always make a big deal with Sven, since he's had problems in that department for years! It's like a party
around here every morning when I see his poopy in the litter box

As to the Miralax, if she is easy to dose, I would suggest twice a day, morning and night, with 1/4 teaspoon mixed in at least 1.5 cc's water, or more (water) if she'll take it (just to get more water in her). But, check with the Vet to make sure this is ok, unless she's already said up to 1/2 teaspoon daily, or said it's ok to adjust the dose. I have found that twice a day works best for Sven, but once a day has got to be better than only when she is already backed up!

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll start the twice a day. Also pushing more water via syringe.

After I medicate her, she usually was having a small fit. I was picking her up and taking her to the pan, and putting her in it. She can get in it fine, it's like she doesn't want to go down there or something, we're very unclear on why she's not going.

But then yesterday the strangest thing happens, after I give her her meds, she goes BY HERSELF to the pan to pee. And she pooped later on. Perhaps this is what they meant by "behavior modification plan".

She's retaining so much urine of course it must be uncomfortable, so go pee! Ding! That's smart! I am hoping this continues. Otherwise, she really hasn't had any fits. I've mushed the Prozac chewables and mixed it with a very small amount of water and syringed it into her. It seems to be doing well, she's been very relaxed, not so jumpy... but she has been getting rather aggressive sometimes, and got me on my arm while I was petting her. She'll seem very happy for a second, then rattlesnake bite me. Or the other day, she was chilling, I got in the floor with her and she stuck her paw out and gently touched my finger. Then patted it. I didn't move. She did it AGAIN and then pulled my finger towards her. then BAM!! She bit the fool out of me. So .. we'll have to watch that I suppose... :T I just act very hurt and tell her No firmly, and leave the room.

Just going to ride this and keep an eye on her. Thanks guys

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Overall, I'd have to say - things are improving and she sounds like she's feeling a lot better! You're SUCH a good kitty mommy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Continued !!!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snickerdoodle

I got in the floor with her and she stuck her paw out and gently touched my finger. Then patted it. I didn't move. She did it AGAIN and then pulled my finger towards her. then BAM!! She bit the fool out of me. So .. we'll have to watch that I suppose... :T I just act very hurt and tell her No firmly, and leave the room.
Maybe she got confused and thought your finger was a big bug or something! It kind of sounds like she was stalking it

begemot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I don't mean to eavesdrop, but I have a cat with pooping problems too, so I've been reading your thread.

Originally Posted by Snickerdoodle

Mom saw this episode as we were out in the middle of the dining room floor, and she was laughing (Which, some of you may know, cats do not like)
I didn't know this about cats. Do you know more about it?

I was also wondering whether you've tried adding water to her kibble. You can start out with a small amount and give it a couple minutes to get absorbed into the food before giving it to her. Then, once she's used to it, you can add more. Constipated kitties need a lot of water, especially when they're eating dry, so any extra way that you can sneak more in is a plus. (Apologies if someone else brought this up earlier in the thread and I missed it.)

Good luck with your kitty! I hope you figure out what's going on.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Begemot! You're not eavesdropping

All of my cats never liked to be laughed at when they tripped, fell, did something embarrassing, or otherwise. My Boo (RIP) would sometimes go running as fast as he could up the steps, and trip and fall. He'd recover quickly but it was so funny I laughed. He'd turn around, sort of drop his ears back and get this look on his face, and I promise you it was easy to tell he did not appreciate it.
Chickster rarely trips, but a few times missed her intended target when trying to jump onto furniture, she'd slide down and we'd laugh, and she'd get the same ears back smug look on her face and narrow her eyes. Sometimes she'd even turn her head away from us.

Boca is also very proud and just recently he slipped and fell while trying to turn a corner going 100mph. His rear end fish tailed. It was so funny. But once he heard me laughing, that same strange smug upset look overtook him, and his body language got twitchy and annoyed.

Our outside stray/feral Bobbie-Jo nearly fell off the back porch one day, her balance doesn't appear to be too good (No tail, but I don't know if that makes a difference) I was startled at first then laughed. She looked at me very upset and took off down the steps.

If they're playing, I've never seen them mind. They know when they're doing something cute, I believe. but when they fall or are otherwise having something done to them ... MY cats do not appreciate being laughed at... it embarrasses them ..

I am currently giving extra water to Chickster via syringe and going to be giving a second dose of miralax today. Her stools are still way too firm to my liking and while she doesn't seem dehydrated (no skin tenting) her bowels are just sucking out every last drop. If she'd eat wet we'd be in better shape, and I'm looking into another alternative food that she'll eat while not giving her such constipation. She's always been sort of constipated though, even when she was 4 weeks old I had a heck of a time waiting on her poops.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The 'I meant to do that' look, is what I call it when they fall over or something. They fall and immediately give you this look that says 'I meant to do that, really I did.' They do get highly offended when you laugh at them. Attitude(
) would get so mad, and she was a pro at the look and she'd get MAD when you'd laugh at her. She did a 'Greatest American Hero' flight at the vets and went face first into the exam table(she ran out of leash.) She fell walking between the couch and recliner, she totally missed the TV tray she was trying to jump onto. Running and losing it, stuff like that.

Nuts is OK at it but is no where near Attitude's abilities.

Taryn

begemot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I see what you mean. I know that look very well! It's so expressive. I always think of it as "What're you lookin' at?" Then they get stiff-legged and stalk off, tail twitching, trying to look as dignified as possible.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, exactly. They are very dignified. Boo was so dignified that he couldn't stand getting his feet the slightest bit wet, and he would get irritated with me because I made it rain. :T LOL.

Chickster poo'd again and it was a darker brown color, but most of it was softening up. Either end of it was a little hard, and still nuggets but mostly connected, somewhat. Stinky poo. Not foul, though. But she went all by herself.
Best of all? NO FITS THIS MORNING! Nothing after medicating, nothing at all! I am so happy! Let's hope that lasts ;D

I want to find a pattern between the pooping, peeing, medicating, and fits.. but the longer I thought about it last night, there really isn't a pattern and it's distressing... if I could find a pattern I could figure it out, you know? At least that is what it feels like. But in any case, she is doing really great today. Been a real lover. Already killed 6 more C Batteries in her Pouncing Paws, *sigh* so we'll see which breaks first, the motor or more batteries.

Love ya'll! <3

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bet you'll need more batteries before the motor goes.

on NO FITS! Given that she's pooping more regularly than she was - and it's softer poop - I am REALLY wondering if you were right all along, and the fits had to do with the pain in her gut.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Me, too. She's peeing on her own now and hasn't needed any assistance. No fits this morning either. She's doing well

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just an update... No fits, none at all. Happy, loving kitty Chick here, just chillin'. Smelling of everything for some reason, constantly, pretty much since she's been on the prozac, but things are fine. Still having a pooping issue, so may need to change foods again.. otherwise, she's a happy cat!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY! I'm so glad the prozac is working. Now to get the constipation under control....

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow, great news! Now, are you giving the Miralax twice a day, with extra water?

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes. She is pooping on her own, no stimulation help from me, it is just taking 2 or more days between poops. Still too firm for me, but it's coming out. The nuggets are slowly disappearing it seems tho! I am happy

tina23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - I have a cat with FHS and am considering starting meds but don't know which one. Is Chickster still on prozac? How's he doing?