Chews?

mzalisakay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lucky! I've been trying to find some chewy meats for my cats that they'll actually enjoy. I tried chicken feet but no go. I'm going to try gizzards and hearts next... I WISH my cats would chew on them. They're on commercial raw so they're getting the good stuff, but it's all ground. Nothing for them to chew and clean their teeth with.. yet. I just found out my commercial raw can come in coarse grind so I may try that next. Or possibly rolling the chicken feet in their favorite treats. Or.. I don't know.. find a day old chicken. Don't know where to find those local yet though.

Oh and my cats LOVE those greenies. I read the ingredients list though.. 
 So I'm trying to find an alternative to those.

Cats. So difficult. Lol.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Lucky! I've been trying to find some chewy meats for my cats that they'll actually enjoy. I tried chicken feet but no go. I'm going to try gizzards and hearts next... I WISH my cats would chew on them. They're on commercial raw so they're getting the good stuff, but it's all ground. Nothing for them to chew and clean their teeth with.. yet. I just found out my commercial raw can come in coarse grind so I may try that next. Or possibly rolling the chicken feet in their favorite treats. Or.. I don't know.. find a day old chicken. Don't know where to find those local yet though.

Oh and my cats LOVE those greenies. I read the ingredients list though.. 
 So I'm trying to find an alternative to those.

Cats. So difficult. Lol.
You can start out by cutting up the gizzard and hearts really small and adding them to the raw.  Then eventually make the pieces bigger and bigger until they're eating them whole.  Hopefully it'll work for mine too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's a dental treat called Smart'n'Tasty that you might have a look at. I can't remember the exact ingredients, but I think they're grain-free...? My veterinarian was selling dental chews for cats for a bit, but she said they were really hit and miss. The more feral members of our household love raw chicken hearts, and so do a lot of our foster kittens and cats. The more...domesticated...members of the household don't know what to do with them as chicken has always come to them roasted and shredded...Oh well!

mrskittles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Who makes these Temptation Dental Bites? I am looking for a dental chew. Most of my cats just swallow the Greenies. Monday I might make it over to my vet's office as they have some 'chewy' options. Only one of my cats so far will allow me to brush her teeth. It's still difficult to get the back ones. Sigh

mema62

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i can get Jacks front but vet said just try to get some on the back gums. i did find out it was easier and not so scarey to just a q tip swab on his back ones. my husband holds him. i praise and treat him afterwards. good luck

mrskittles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if just me over here and it is very difficult to take care of any of the cats wounds or teeth with just one person. the good thing about having five cats, is that you can really do studies on different products lol. None of them like the C.E.T.toothpaste. luckily my vet was able to order this brand from Ontario Canada that all of them love. it has more of a aroma to it

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm careful to use products sourced in Canada or the United States. If I know something's from China, than its not going in my cats' mouths.
:yeah:

My Pushy will chew on food (not random objects) and he has bad teeth, so it would be a good idea to give him something to chew on. I haven't been consistent about it though. He did like chewing on a chicken neck, but I found it messy as he dragged it all over the place. Also, I bought a small bag of dried rabbit's ears once. He hesitated at first, but then seemed to enjoy chewing it. Took him quite a while to eat it. I didn't want him to have too many, so I gave most of them to my friend's dog who loved them.

mrskittles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it's just me over here and it is very difficult to take care of any of the cats wounds or dental issues. also, Purina is now in a Class Action Suit for poisoning dogs with their "Beneful" brand. Just another reason to make your own food and treats.

mrskittles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, don't do chicken wings. Every book and vet I've been able to talk to suggests the necks. I have a store in my area that orders chicken necks that have already been cleaned.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I WISH my cat would do this.  Apparently she has bad teeth, so I am going to attempt to ge
snacks  to chew on for tartar, etc, but idk how inclined she will be.  Good for your cat's teeth.  Hahah
[/quote

If her teeth are bad then these chews will probably hurt her poor mouth. She needs
to see the vet and possibly have some of
her teeth out. She won't eat treats/snacks if her teeth hurt.

to b see

mrskittles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I WISH my cat would do this.  Apparently she has bad teeth, so I am going to attempt to get her snacks  to chew on for tartar, etc, but idk how inclined she will be.  Good for your cat's teeth.  Hahah

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I ordered chicken necks from Whole Foods Market. I usually cut across in about 1 inch large chunks. Also, it little raw thigh bone is enjoyed here. Raw meat encourages chewing. The chicken gizzards are not such a hit, but could have been not as fresh as I thought (they just smell different to me)  Darn, I just ordered Greenies with my Chewy's food order.

mrskittles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
not sure if you are responding to my comment about the Greenies, but I do have three cats who will crunch on them.the other two just swallow them. I just got some dental chews from the vet I was hoping I could upload a photo of the product but I will wait until I get on the computer instead of the smartphone. I just made a homemade batch of Dental choose from Dr Pitcairn's book. 3 cats chewed them, 1 wasn't interested, 1 had trouble as she needs dental the most. As far as the store bought ones I got at the vet, all of the cats chewed on them. I am just not crazy of all of the 10,000 ingredients in them lol

mema62

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I WISH my cat would do this.  Apparently she has bad teeth, so I am going to attempt to ge
snacks  to chew on for tartar, etc, but idk how inclined she will be.  Good for your cat's teeth.  Hahah
[/quote

If her teeth are bad then these chews will probably hurt her poor mouth. She needs
to see the vet and possibly have some of
her teeth out. She won't eat treats/snacks if her teeth hurt.

to b see
i have never seen Jack chew one yet he swallows whole. i make him let me brush them

mema62

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ordered chicken necks from Whole Foods Market. I usually cut across in about 1 inch large chunks. Also, it little raw thigh bone is enjoyed here. Raw meat encourages chewing. The chicken gizzards are not such a hit, but could have been not as fresh as I thought (they just smell different to me)  Darn, I just ordered Greenies with my Chewy's food order.
i would love to offer jack a neck. will he get choked on any neck bone. and can i just buy from grocery store. not sure what you mean by already cleaned. do they eat all of it?

mrskittles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will find out exactly what the pet store meant by cleaned. but they didn't strip off all of the meat they just did something to prevent some kind of bacteria. Let me get the correct terminology for you

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have never seen Jack chew one yet he swallows whole. i make him let me brush them
IMHO he really needs to see the vet. Even cleaning his teeth won't help if he's got bad teeth. His health will suffer besides always being in pain.

mema62

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh I meant my cat doesn't chew the dental treats just swallows whole. he has good teeth vet chked recently. i brush them 4 times a week. he had cleaned 2 yrs ago so decided that was hard stressfully on him.

mrskittles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a post called "Dental Chews (not hard treats) looking for... and here is a brand my vet just sold me. They are expensive ($12.99 for one month) if you have 5 cats like I do. But all 5 chewed on them instead of swallowing them whole. They are NOT "VOHC" approved, but then the Greenies are and I don't think they really work either.

These are hard outside and chewy inside. Very interesting. I made some from a recipe in Dr. Pitcairn's book because I can't afford $65/month. All but one like them and the one who needs dental the most, poor thing, tries to eat them. She is first on the list for dental. Ugh ($$$$$$$$)

shawna smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been using Pestages chew mice toys.. for squirt to chew on ( I know these things are freaky and they get lost easily but just loves them.. )  several other catnip toys she doesn't care for though I think she is getting used the Yeeow! catnip candy cane I got for her ( it was on clearance).. but with the mice there's supposed to be this netting that helps "floss" teeth ..I haven't seen really any improvement with the teeth but it keeps her away from chewing on other things at least.. I also try to brush twice  a week with CET Malt toothpaste.. 

Last edited by a moderator: