Chews?

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anyone else have cats who like to chew? Sometimes I'll bring home dog chews like baked beef tendons or pigs' ears, and a few of our cats will just sit and work away gnawing at them. Lately, they have a dehydrated duck foot that they're working away on. Am I the only one who does this?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I've thought about the duck feet. I wish someone would make a grain-free/gluten-free stick chew that didn't have chicken in it! All the "dental" chews seems to have chicken and/or wheat gluten in them. =\

flowerdew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about doing this for my kitten Claude, who chews on things I find distressing, like electrical cords and metal springs. Every time I think I've thoroughly catproofed, she finds something else awful to put in her mouth. Stiff dog chews seem relatively benign in comparison, and I would love to hear about the experiences of others.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I WISH my cat would do this.  Apparently she has bad teeth, so I am going to attempt to get her snacks  to chew on for tartar, etc, but idk how inclined she will be.  Good for your cat's teeth.  Hahah

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I WISH my cat would do this.  Apparently she has bad teeth, so I am going to attempt to get her snacks  to chew on for tartar, etc, but idk how inclined she will be.  Good for your cat's teeth.  Hahah
Have you ever tried dental wipes? I use them on my cat and not on a daily basis either. I also give my cat Temptations dental bites, and last vet visit the vet said his teeth were perfect.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm afraid to try this, after hearing reports of dog chews making dogs ill.
I think that the treats that were the problem were from products sourced in China. I give my dog jerky treats that are made in the US and she's fine. You can also make your own jerky in the oven or in a dehydrator if you have one.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never met a cat who was inclined to chew the way dogs do! If only they didn't spoil, I think raw chicken or duck feet would be a great outlet for chewing and to have that sponginess utilized to clean their teeth to some degree. Since my cats don't chew much, it would be a waste for me to go out and just buy feet.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you ever tried dental wipes? I use them on my cat and not on a daily basis either. I also give my cat Temptations dental bites, and last vet visit the vet said his teeth were perfect.
@misterwhiskers  I never thought much about my cat's dental needs until I went to the vets about 2 weeks ago.  She has some painful resorptive lesions right now so I'm not going to mess with her mouth until she heals from her dental (which is hopefully soon, still waiting on lab work).  Thanks for the advice though.  I just bought some CET stuff on amazon and hoping to switch her to frankenprey someday.   

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the wipes sound like a good idea. I have never tried the Temptations dental bites but I did try the feline Greenies dental treats and they are a joke IMO. The cats do not chew them at all. ideally I'd like to give them raw chicken necks to chew on to keep their teeth clean. I just need to get them on board with the idea. I tried them once before and they were rejected by both cats. The dog ate them. very happily.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Kat0121  Yes, I would love for my cat to take to chicken necks.  Since she's a picky eater, my plan is to slowly switch her to commercial raw, then meat chunks, and then hopefully chicken wings.  I called all around my area and can't find chicken necks!  Don't give up!  It's going to have to be a slow, long process.  But think about the cost of dentals.  It'll be worth it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm careful to use products sourced in Canada or the United States. If I know something's from China, than its not going in my cats' mouths.

Its really funny to watch them play keep-away with the duck foot. Its new to them, so there's a real novelty to it!

I've seen dental wipes, but the ones I've seen were by Cain and Able and you can't use that on cats. Are there others out there?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm careful to use products sourced in Canada or the United States. If I know something's from China, than its not going in my cats' mouths.

Its really funny to watch them play keep-away with the duck foot. Its new to them, so there's a real novelty to it!

I've seen dental wipes, but the ones I've seen were by Cain and Able and you can't use that on cats. Are there others out there?
I found these on Amazon. All the reviewers seem to have used them on dogs but the canister states that they are for dogs and cats. Kinda pricey for 45 wipes. Some reviewers say that the wipes aren't moist enough, some love them.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Kat0121
 Yes, I would love for my cat to take to chicken necks.  Since she's a picky eater, my plan is to slowly switch her to commercial raw, then meat chunks, and then hopefully chicken wings.  I called all around my area and can't find chicken necks!  Don't give up!  It's going to have to be a slow, long process.  But think about the cost of dentals.  It'll be worth it!
maybe you can get turkey.necks. The
butcher will cut off the amount you want as they're ginormous.

Last edited by a moderator:

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found chicken and turkey necks at the grocery store in plastic wrap and styrofoam trays (only one in a package though), but I'm hesitant about feeding this often, as I was under the impression that food we are feeding raw should come from butchers. I already called 2 butchers and no such luck.  I think there's a pet store with Stella and Chewy frozen necks, but I wish I could get it for cheaper.  What do you guys think?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Any such thing as duck necks? They should be similar in size to chicken necks.
Hare Today sells 2 pounds of duck necks for $5.99. their order minimum is 10 pounds I think so you might also try an asian supermarket or butcher if you have one near you unless you buy other stuff from HT also and would have had the 10 pound order anyway.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe the Asian butcher would be the best place to start, as you may just be able to get one or two and see how it goes.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I found chicken and turkey necks at the grocery store in plastic wrap and styrofoam trays (only one in a package though), but I'm hesitant about feeding this often, as I was under the impression that food we are feeding raw should come from butchers. I already called 2 butchers and no such luck.  I think there's a pet store with Stella and Chewy frozen necks, but I wish I could get it for cheaper.  What do you guys think?
I found chicken necks at my local Publix and those are what I tried out on the cats. I think some raw feeders here do use meat from the grocery store. The cats wanted nothing to do with them but the dog ate them up like they were potato chips (which she also loves
). Bless her heart, she'll eat just about anything.

Last edited: