Changes to TCS? Am I the Last to Know?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I must admit, I am like a cat
and don't like change. But I do know it is part of technology, but I don't have to like it
. The thing I want to stress the most IS the siggy's. I am here for the cats, for the feral's and for the strays. But I am also here for the friends I have made, for the joy of giving the gifts, and I have really, really (like a little kid
) enjoyed displaying and seeing my cats faces in every post I make. It makes me feel that THEY ARE a part of TCS along side of me. Now that will be gone
. I think if I could beg for anything to stay the same - that would be it, keeping siggy's alive.
I think I speak for many of us here as well. We are doing this for OUR cat's and it is nice to see our friend's feline furkids faces in each and every one of their posts here on TCS. It makes it feel like home to me
and we bring out cats with us each time we post here. When I joined last December I had NO idea how much this place would mean to me, it just blew me away. I really was not on the computer much before TCS - now Larry complains about ME being on the computer too much
. TCS still will be a special place to me no matter what changes may come, BUT I want my SIGGY to come with me and I want to still see my friend's siggy's too
To me, it will feel less cozy and homey without them, a bit cold
. That is my sentiments, whatever it is worth......

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't say no more siggies anywhere does it? I hope they don't go! A TCS app would be awesome though!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL..... You guys..... Nowhere it says there will be no more signatures

TCS will still be a forum..... This is starting to sound like those Facebook gossips that they will start charging as of "TOMORROW"

I am with Anne - TCS is overdue on changes - has been for a while. There are many things I can do on other forums I can't here.... Embed pictures and videos right on the post is just a couple.
As a platform, TCS lacks on security IMHO - other forums have automatic step-up new user forums, with a certain number of posts you need to make before you are even able to post on Cat's lounge, or send PMs, or even begin a thread anywhere - greatly reducing SPAMs, all done automatically. For a while a new user can only navigate the New User forums - we would have much less problems that way, and the Mods too....
These are only a few things that come to mind, but there are more....
The capability of sending emails right from the forum (if you make emails available, but the address remains private until you send), more rooms for PMs....
There is a myriad of things, really.... But IMHO, if you are used to a forum, you are used to forums - I see the advantages on one or another, but I know how to navigate them all.... They are NOT all that different....
I am really really glad TCS is making changes.... I can't wait to see what is coming!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't view peoples signatures anyhow as my mobile broadband at home isn't that much faster than dial up. I would like a easier way to upload pictures though.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

All I can say, is I agree with Laurie. I love this place, my home away from home
. And the way it is set up for us to personalize our posts with siggy's etc. makes it feel like we are all one big happy family

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I definitely have my head screwed on backwards, Anne.
Of course it's MOSTLY about the cats... but TCS was always more than just the cats, which is what made it so different than other cat or pet-related forums.
Obviously the mods won't change, and policies won't change, so the "feel" of the community won't change in that sense. But IMO it would be sad to see that "personal touch" enabled by the technology not be supported.

So as to the signatures specifically... I finally figured out how to decorate Chumley for the changing holidays!

Personally, I think the signatures are part of that personal touch, and they're such a fun, funny/cute and colorful way to "present" our kitties. I'd really miss them.

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jessy

It doesn't say no more siggies anywhere does it? I hope they don't go! A TCS app would be awesome though!
I agree, I've browsed TCS on my iPhone so many times but get annoyed when I have to zoom all the way in. I know for a fact that the newest vBulletin software has app compatibility but I'm not sure of the amount of money. I can tell you all from previous experience that signatures will not be removed, Anne may just have to change a few settings which I can help her with
As long as the core features of the forum stays, I will stay. I really hope we can get Your Cats for vBulletin 4.0

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems there is a certain group here that knows a lot more about the changes coming than the majority of us (if we knew anything at all). And the information leaking out is not consistent.

I guess we'll all find out for sure eventually, sooner if not later.

Robin

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I know that it is hard with all of the rumors going on. There is a lot of planning to make the changes and Anne would like to have all of the information ready before we announce the changes. There is some testing going on and we ask for patience.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree, I'm not a fan of change either
TCS is the most interestingly (and fun!) set up forum that I'm on. I'll probably miss the things that change.

But we all adapt in the end. Just like those of us who've stuck with Facebook through all the changes

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got to look around at the beta version. All I can say is... there are no more siggies, I couldn't post images in my visitor messages, and the screen is much wider. I think the TCS home page looked MUCH better though, I've been thinking it needed to update. The forum just isn't as nice though.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catbehaviors

I got to look around at the beta version. All I can say is... there are no more siggies
Say it aint soooooo!
I've been wanting to request a nice kitty sig for awhile but feel like its imposing on people's time so I havent yet

And whoops, I actually forgot there was a home page...my browser takes me to the forums every time

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catbehaviors

I got to look around at the beta version. All I can say is... there are no more siggies, I couldn't post images in my visitor messages, and the screen is much wider. I think the TCS home page looked MUCH better though, I've been thinking it needed to update. The forum just isn't as nice though.
How did you get to look at the beta? You actually can enable signatures in the Admin Panel, it's just a little different in the new vBulletin.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it. Siggies are guaranteed by the 28th amendment to the constitution.

"A well made Siggy, being necessary to the sweetness of a free Forum, the right of the people to keep and display Kitties, shall not be infringed."

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

Say it aint soooooo!
I've been wanting to request a nice kitty sig for awhile but feel like its imposing on people's time so I havent yet

And whoops, I actually forgot there was a home page...my browser takes me to the forums every time
You could have asked me! I love doing siggies and it's for sure not imposing. Oh well, too late now.

My browser always takes me here too. But sometimes I do look at the home page. I find it too... skinny. Not wide enough.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Eh, I've been through board changes at other sites and they are always met with resistance and uncertainty but once the new board arrives, everyone discovers new things they didn't know they needed until it came with the new board, most find them easier to navigate, etc.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FleshFlowers

Signatures are my favorite part about this site :/

Almost ALL forums that I know of have signatures!
Well NO forums I frequent have signatures. I never even knew about them until I joined here.

But I must say that your current one, above, is just fabulous!!! One of the best yet!

Robin

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats sad that there wont be signatures, I have been trying to figure out how to make one for myself.