Change in diet, poops

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Have any of you noticed change in poop when switching to more wet food? My cat has fic and I need to get more water into her diet so I have been changing her from mostly dry to mostly wet with some dry overnight. I just recently started her on amytriptylline (2 weeks) as well. Her poop has been formed and soft but at times she has loose poop at the end and it ends up on her fur. She has also been scooting her butt several times a day. I've been trying to catch her when she goes so I can swipe her bottom with a wipe. I'm hoping if it's diet that it will work itself out.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried adding some plain canned pumpkin to her diet? The fiber in pumpkin balances out the water in the stools, similar to how Miralax works.

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dealing with this food change myself! My cat's poops changed from 1x daily to closer to 1x every 2 days when we first made the switch to all-wet diet.

Now we've been noticing poops that change in consistency through one bowel movement, possibly similar to what you're describing? -- I just made a thread about that, and here's a quote from a helpful answer (edited for relevance to what you are asking):
. . . It may be that her system isn't used to all the liquid yet . . . it takes weeks for their systems to get used to a change in diet . . . Pumpkin added once in a while wouldn't hurt, it adds fiber, which is something her body is getting used to being without, dry is a lot of fiber.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dealing with this food change myself! My cat's poops changed from 1x daily to closer to 1x every 2 days when we first made the switch to all-wet diet.

Now we've been noticing poops that change in consistency through one bowel movement, possibly similar to what you're describing? -- I just made a thread about that, and here's a quote from a helpful answer (edited for relevance to what you are asking):
It makes sense. She was on high fiber dry before. I'm still giving her some of that but only at night and not as much. She won't eat plain pumpkin even if it's mixed in something. I tried that before. I did find a tiki cat mousse with chicken and pumpkin flavor which she will eat but I don't know how much pumpkin is in it. I hope her system gets used to this. It could.possibly be the amytriptylline as well but I doubt it as the side effect is consipation.

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea, I looked up the amytriptylline, as I wondered that too for you. Think you're right, but always good to look into those side effects.

Stella and Chewy also makes some wet food with pumpkin!
- there's a minced version of chicken & chicken liver in a can with pumpkin (here)
- and a pouch of tuna & pumpkin (here)
.. and that's just what I've seen at the local pet store - there may be more for all I know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea, I looked up the amytriptylline, as I wondered that too for you. Think you're right, but always good to look into those side effects.

Stella and Chewy also makes some wet food with pumpkin!
- there's a minced version of chicken & chicken liver in a can with pumpkin (here)
- and a pouch of tuna & pumpkin (here)
.. and that's just what I've seen at the local pet store - there may be more for all I know.
Thanks, well I hope you issue resolves with time as well. I looked up your thread. Sounds like the exact same problem minus the amytriptylline!!