Cellphones.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I just discovered that I have a problem with the new cell phone - JC thinks it's a toy, I guess because it's so small. He never touched the old one, but keeps wanting to bat the new one around! I have to put it in a drawer when recharging it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jcat! my dads flatmates dog, picked dads up and took it around the yard,
. We got the cellphone back alright.

woodsygirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Count me in on the freak side... I hardly ever use my home phone, why would I need a cell phone and why would I want to be available all the time? I tend to like my peace and quiet.

It bothers me when I'm in a store and people's phones are going off, or at the movies. I just personally find it disturbing... especially when people are on the phone while they are driving and can't use their blinkers because they only have 1 hand to operate the car

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another freak here- we don't have one, and I have no desire to get one. Hubby gets the corporate cell from work sometimes when hes on call, and its nothing but a pain in the butt.

I figure if I'm out running errands or otherwise away from my home phone, people can wait until I get back to talk to me. I have voicemail and caller ID , so I'll know they called.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave up my home phone about a year ago and only have a cell phone. I love it. No telemarketers, no unwanted calls whatsoever & for me it's cheaper. Plus I can take it with me where ever I go. Or I can leave it at home/turn it off whenever I want.

This works for me because I'm not fond of telephones and don't spend much time on them at all.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to hold my peace about the talking while driving thing, even though I don't agree with it. Until this morning, when I almost got creamed by some jackass who was talking on his cell and not paying attention to the fact that he did NOT have the light yet.

We were opposing traffic, northbound (me) had an advance left turn signal, and this character coming southbound was just coming through, despite the fact that the light was not his yet. He did stop in time, but it was closer than I'd like to repeat.

The point of this description is that his hands had nothing to do with the problem. He had quite enough hands for the driving he was engaged in. It was his brain that was elsewhere, and not paying attention. Hands-free won't fix that.

If they pass hands-free only, they'll have to outlaw smoking while driving, sipping your coffee while driving, munching your donut while driving, etc. Your hands are just as involved in those activities as they are with the phone.

But it won't fix the problem, because the problem is attention.

It's not the same as a conversation with someone in the car. That person can see the same things the driver sees, and instinctively put the conversation on hold if circumstances require fuller concentration from the driver. The person on the other end of the phone can't see that, and can inadvertently demand more of the driver's attention than he can realistically give. Unfortunately, it's all too likely that the conversation will get the attention and the driving won't.

Fortunately, anyone likely to call me knows my views, and is not surprised when my phone rings twice, goes live, and they get a hollered "just a sec!", while I find a place to pull over.

OK. I'll get off my soap box now.

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mobile that I now own is my fourth one. I used to sell them and being in the industry it was important to be seen with a model that was one of the latest ones available. Image was unfortunately everything.

But the one I have now is a Nokia 7250. I love it. It even has a digital camera, though it costs 75c to send a photo or picture message so I don't do it often. I won't be getting another phone for quite a long time.

I also have a work mobile. It stays with me all day so the office can contact me while I'm out driving around on deliveries or on my lunch break. It's not a big deal though I do try my best to get off the road when I answer the darn thing when it rings.

Australia has a hands free only law. It's VERY difficult to police and everyone still uses their phones while driving. There have been many studies shown that driving while talking on your mobile is equivalent to driving while drunk.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really dislike it when people drive and talk on the phone. I have a cell but won't talk while I'm driving. It drives me nuts to be behind someone on the phone. They drive really slow and then speed up, then slow down, then speed up. And they seem to forget about using blinkers. Not to mention they are bad lane changers. I've had many a cell phone talker almost side swipe me on the freeway because they really aren't paying attention.

The laws on this vary by state. But the most recent study shows that it's not necessarily holding the phone that is the problem as much as just the distraction of talking on the phone and not paying as close attention.