Cellphones.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be lost without my cel phone! I have a plan that has free nationwide long distance, and free calls every night after 7 PM. I call all my relatives in NJ and Tybalt calls his mom in CA for free on it!
I frequently call home when I'm on the road headed home, to see if we need anything from a store. It saves me the time and gas of making a second trip.

How pathetic is this: I have Domino's Pizza, Baja Fresh (Mexican take-out), China Garden Inn and Macaroni Grill all programmed into my phone. This way, I can call and order food when I am out running errands, and then stop by to pick it up on the way home.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mobile phone is the only one I ever use.
My roommate is the same way and we had the house phone disconnected this month b/c we never use it!

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I was on my own I had a land line, mostly becasue I wanted internet. So while I had it I used it and used my cell when I was out. Now that I'm back home, I hardly use my parent's phone, except for long distance, and if someone calls me on it intead of my cell. So I upped my plan to include evenings, weekends, and 300 anytime minutes. I had to extend my contract by 10 months to make it a 2 year one again, but I wasn't planning on getting rid of my phone any time soon so I didn't mind signing up for a long contract.

I also use my cell phone as my phone book. I have everyone's number in there including Blockbuster, which came in handy when shopping for my brother Christmas present.

Oh well, what will we have next once cell phones are the "has been"

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I guess I'm a freak.
I don't have one, I don't want one. I had one for a year and literally used it maybe 5 times total in that year. I work all of 2 miles from home so I don't have much car time. I just couldn't see paying $30+ per month for something I never used.

Hubby on the other hand has to have his with him all the time. I think it's more of a status symbol than anything, since he upgrades to the newest, latest, greatest every year or two. He just can't be without the internet even if we are just going grocery shopping! I guess he has a real reason for having it now since he's the Booking Agent for his club and doesn't want to give out our home number.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a cell phone now for about 6 years now...and I have never used another company other than Cingular Wireless (known as it's original name of: Houston Cellular). I mostly used Nokia's, but now I have a Sony Ericcson T226. It is a type of camera phone, but you have to buy the attachment when you get the phone; it doesn't come preinstalled with it. Our (my husband and I) cell phones come in handy a lot, when we are not at work or home...we are always on them (well atleast I am). We don't have a home phone since we would never use it...so my cell is my means of communication other than email

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by valanhb
Well, I guess I'm a freak.
I don't have one, I don't want one. I had one for a year and literally used it maybe 5 times total in that year. I work all of 2 miles from home so I don't have much car time. I just couldn't see paying $30+ per month for something I never used.
Sounds more like a smart woman to me! We just got one in Nov. of last year, the plan we have is $9.95 per month, plus 10 cents per min, for however many min we use ( usually not many at all) and I think its 10 cents per text message, which is what I mainly use mine for, I have a friend who isn't deaf, just hearing impaired, and we find it easier to communicate by texting than calling. Don't think I've used it as a phone more than four times since November !

hockeygrrl75

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am strictly celluar. Meaning that I dont have a land line "regular phone" in my apt. I have been so for over 2 years now and I love it. I used to travel a lot for business so it was super handy to have the phone with me. Now with my new job I dont travel but I still like just having a cell. Best part is no tellemarketers and I can turn it off so no one bothers me

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've had a pre-paid cell phone for about 4 years. I mainly got it because my mother-in-law accidentally let our old cat into the same part of the house as JC, didn't know what to do, couldn't reach my husband or me, and ended up sitting over at our house trying to keep JC from attacking Straycat for several hours. I don't use it much - mainly to call work if my train is late, or to make a quick dental, etc., appointment. I leave it on while teaching, so other teachers can reach me in the event of an emergency (flat tire, "I'm three-quarters of the way to school and have just discovered that my cat is in the car" - actually happened -, etc.), usually via text message because of my hearing. Since a new battery costs almost as much as I originally paid for my phone, I just bought a new one - half the size and weight of the old one, and tri-band. My husband has never even used a cell phone and has no interest in owning one. The time I was really glad I had one was when I was in the hospital here, and my dad died in the U.S.. I couldn't make long-distance calls from the phone in my hospital room, so I took my cell phone outside and could talk to my family. It has also been used a few times to report accidents (not my own, touch wood) or call paramedics. It's against the law to use anything but a hands-free setup here while driving.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by caprice
I have had a cell phone now for about 6 years now...and I have never used another company other than Cingular Wireless (known as it's original name of: Houston Cellular). I mostly used Nokia's, but now I have a Sony Ericcson T226. It is a type of camera phone, but you have to buy the attachment when you get the phone; it doesn't come preinstalled with it. Our (my husband and I) cell phones come in handy a lot, when we are not at work or home...we are always on them (well atleast I am). We don't have a home phone since we would never use it...so my cell is my means of communication other than email
I had a sony erricson t206.. old model but now have a Kyocera Phantom..

kev

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just got a new Nokia last night - have had a phone since I was 21 - when on call - always have one with me in and out of the office and Carol and I text each other in the day to make sure each are okay. Have one in case son is poorly, have a 2nd for my hobby when out on the field and lose an airplane.
Carol has hers - dont know life without.
K

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
A language question here: As an American, I would write "cell phone", but I've noticed that in many British and Commonwealth publications it is written as one word, i.e., "cellphone", though most of the Brits I know say "mobile (phone)". Are you "skeptical" or "sceptical" about the existence of any kind of spelling norms? Just thought I'd "inquire" or "enquire".

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by jcat
A language question here: As an American, I would write "cell phone", but I've noticed that in many British and Commonwealth publications it is written as one word, i.e., "cellphone", though most of the Brits I know say "mobile (phone)". Are you "skeptical" or "sceptical" about the existence of any kind of spelling norms? Just thought I'd "inquire" or "enquire".
I guess it all depends on the "color" (or "colour") of the sky that day

lynx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Momofmany
I use it in weird places, like the time I called my sister in law in North Carolina from the north rim of the Grand Canyon to wish her a happy birthday, or the times we call our friends from concerts and play some of the music to them over the phone.
This is something me and my friends do when we go out drinking. We call it "Drunken-Dial" Usually when a song comes on that reminds you of someone, or... who knows why, it's drunk logic.

When I first got my phone me and my co-workers went crazy text messaging each other. Untill I discovered how much each message was costing me. I use Pay-As-You-Go and my $25 time blocks were being eaten up within a couple of days.

I was pretty anti-cellphone for a long time. I got it as a gift last Christmas. I kinda didn't know what to think when I opened it. But I see it has its uses. Sometimes when I'm out I don't even have it on. But this weekend I had my phone off and my family thought I was dead in a ditch when I didn't come home till late the next evening. So I guess from now on it will be on when I'm out and about. Otherwise I don't even get service in my area as I live in the country.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Joining the Freak Line: Don't have one, never have and never will. I don't believe in them myself. (Told you I was a freak)
I also believe that they are dangerous to your health.

lynx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ya, just wait till someone goes out and BUYS one for you Hissy. That's what happened to me. When I opened the present I had to keep from scrunching up my nose with distaste.

I figure when I'm out I don't really want to talk to you. I've never been a big phone talker. I'm pretty content with a payphone.

Also, I consider myself to be a pretty good driver, but once I have a phone call.... look out - especially because I drive standard. I don't agree with phones while driving at all, I think that only handsfree models should be legal.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They tried passing the law for Hands-Free Phone Only(you can only talk on your phone while driving as long as you had both hands on the wheel) back in November, it didn't pass. As long as you can drive while talking on the phone...it doesn't bother me. I try to limit myself to talk time on the road though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To solve the talking on the cells while driving issue, we have a carphone in our car, now.. after we got it we realised it didn't solve the issue, but at least if you need to grab it in a hurry it's always in the same place, anyone else have a car phone?

As for the spelling, I normally just write cellphone as it's easier and seems to be the norm over here in NZ but when I'm speaking I normally refer to them as Mobiles.. Hmm.. Guess I'm strange.

willowsmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Cellphone is my Home phone. don't have to worry about missing calls cause they find me where ever I go
my fave is you call in sick to work boss calls what she thinks in your home phone and instead of being at home in bed your out shopping at the mall and she will never know it
just kidding!!!! I could never do that. want to but I can't.