Celiac Disease support and info please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I did make some other calls today. Publix (about 1hr away) does have a small selection of gluten free products. For the most part they said it was a few cereals, pastas and quick bread mixes. A friend of mine's FIL told me to talk to his nephew because he is into health food stuff and might know where I can get some of this stuff. My husband said he looked real hard at the flours and said he saw some wheat free (gluten free) ones. So I will check into that and I can at least make that at home well bread that is. Making home made gravy from scratch has been an experience. I looked online for recipes on making gluten free breads some things on the list I don't know where to get this things at. Like these: liquid honey, rice flour, potato flour, buckwheat flour, xanthum gum. Where do you buy these things at.

Also I wrote this list down from the internet. Does this look right for things to avoid and things that are ok.
Avoided:
triticale
bulgar(burghul)
spelt
semolina
wheat
barley
rye (or use with caution)

Okay things:
amaranth
flax seed
wild rice
quinoa
buckwheat (caution)
millet, sorghum
oats (caution)
maltol
caramel
msg
vinegar

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is the very best, hands down, source for breadstuffs---donuts, muffins, cookies, breads, pizza crusts etc: http://www.kinnikinnick.com/

One thing you will need to do is purchase a small chest type freezer (they run arround $100.) That way you can order big and store the products in the freezer. One thing you must realize (and will quickly learn) is that gluten free products do not have the "open shelf life" of regular gluten products. They get dry and crumbly and just YUCK very fast. I would just take the amount of product needed for ONE day out of the freezer at a time and allow it to thaw in a ziploc bag. For sandwiches, however, remember that your son will need his own condiments as the knife that dips into the family's mustard will contaminate it with gluten. LOTS to think about.

As for making homemade breads---well, I've done it. Can't really say it was good, altho with enough practice, I suppose it would become better (and I'm a good cook and baker.) Kinnikinick has some good mixes, which I found easier.

Cally