Celebrating the Seasons

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pit bulls get a bad rap.  People get them for fighting and train them to be mean and they use fear tactics and abuse to get the dogs to be obedient.  A pit bull raised with love and trained properly is one of the best dogs you can get.  When I was a kid, we had 2.  Well, they were half pit and half German shepherd.  They were great dogs and they were never aggressive.  Tiny did growl at some kids once but they were throwing rocks at me and my sister.  So he stepped in front of us and growled and the kids took off.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So this is totally off of the initial topic of this thread. But one great way to help dogs known as pit bulls is to call them by their real breed name. American staffordshire bull terriers. This is the AKC recognized breed name. Without the stigma that comes with the improper term "pit bull". 

Here's a halloween picture of Angua.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Animal Freak it's like I met my past self, it's crazy. Then I'm thinking, did someone put you up to this? I was going to move to Montana when I was 26 I think, I went around to a couple different cities & decided since there's like no one up there, it would probably be super hard to get a job so I opted for it's next door neighbor, Idaho. I hated the ice & cold so I moved back to CA. Yeah it's not so bad when you don't have to drive in it every day. Your average ordinary person doesn't have plans to move to Montana so if I hear people saying they want to move there, I take notice. I've always thought I'd go there when I'm older & I don't have to get out everyday, but their winters are crazy, if I lived in the country, I wouldn't be able to get around unless I got a snowmobile & driving around outside in freezing temperatures doesn't interest me much. I'll take being warm & seeing the sun everyday along with all the people & expensive everything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pit bulls were actually bred as family dogs first. My aunt has one and he's the sweetest dog I've ever met. My little Chihuahua Pomeranian mix tried to attack him though. Poor guy acted as if he had a pesky fly trying to bite him.

@NewYork1303: I would call them that, but I'm afraid my poor memory wouldn't like it very much. We need a different name for them that isn't because of their reputation and isn't that long! Pretty cat though. I love gold eyes.

@msserena: Nope! It's just me and my crazy plans. I don't really care for people or cities so I don't mind living where there's fewer people. I don't like heat either. If I could find somewhere that was in the sixties all the time, that would be the best. I can do high sixties and low seventies. My biggest concern is taking care of animals where it's cold, but if I'm not willing to do it then who is? I also want to live towards the southern edge of Montana. It would be cool if I could just go across the border and get into Yellowstone's National Park. I really want to go up there sometime.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like a smaller town, less people but also know when you live in a small town, people know more of what's going on with everyone! When you live in a big city, you can blend in, be invisible I guess. No one notices me, my appearance doesn't make me stand out in a crowd anymore, which is exactly what I like now a days. If I could afford to live out in the country & have a farm or something, that would be an ideal life for me. The less you have to deal with the people, the better. I watch a couple of Alaska shows & think, I could do that, but I hate the cold. When I could tolerate the cold that's when I decided to move up to MT. It's so gorgeous up there, I would love to live there but probably won't. I have allergies & I guess CA is good because of the way the wind blows. Also, the cold seems to clench up my bronchial area now when it didn't before.

You should definitely check out Yellowstone, it's awe inspiring.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CA is the best as far as compassionate and kind people go, as well as better laws and lawmakers, not 100%, but then no place has that.  MT is a low-population state with a lot of natural beauty and yes, animals -- and a lot of hunting and fishing, along with people of very narrow mind.  I could never live there.  I've known several who do, and don't see eye to eye with them on much of anything.  UT is also a low-population state with a lot of natural beauty and animals -- and a lot of Mormons.  Best Friends' land is sort of a community in and of itself; I've heard some of the UT people don't like them, but they don't have cause to mix much, except to go into town to do things they need to do.  Anywhere you go, you'll find good and bad, it's true.  I lived in the Mojave for 3 years, on 2 1/2 acres of the most beautiful desert land there is.  I minded my own business, loved and cared for my cats, enjoyed the wild creatures whose land I was sharing, and pretty much avoided the people, who tended to be narrow-minded and very, very different from me.  But I'm a minority and anywhere I live, I'm going to be a minority.  CA is good for me from that standpoint.  

As for the dog thing, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wow we definitely have a different view of the people in CA! I don't know what or how to describe the people I've had experience with. Me me me, how do I look, I need a fancier car, I need a giant house, more more more, money money money. That's the way it is here. I wouldn't call people here kind by any means, of course there are exceptions to the rule, I'm talking in generalities. Most girls want to go to the beach to get all tan, they've got to bleach their hair & then they get boob jobs. totally typical. There are a million barbies here. Most people won't give you a 2nd glance if you aren't totally rich or attractive to their standards.

When I was in Boise, I had no idea it is was mormon central. A guy let me borrow his book & I read it, whew. I also met Jehovah's Witnesses there too, borrowed their book & read it. I couldn't believe how many religious people there were. I never even encountered people like that in CA or CO. It doesn't take away of course from living there, the people I met were great, I just really really hate the cold. I thought about UT, but was afraid everyone would shun me because I'm not mormon. I looked up where Best Friends is & it's not that far from Colorado City, AZ, that's where all the polygamists live, I don't want to be anywhere near that place, it's really creepy.

I've tried the small town thing & do much better in a larger town, I need to be able to buy certain kinds of food & most regular grocery stores don't carry stuff that I buy & I have to live somewhere where I can get a job. Even in SD it's hard, I've been applying for places pretty regularly since Feb, have only had a handful of interviews. I'm thinking of moving closer up to Irvine, there are way more jobs up there. If I lived in Glendale, I'd totally apply at studios in Burbank, there are SO many that have jobs. I've always thought it would be fun to work in that field but really don't want to move anywhere near LA.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree 100%; it's comparative in terms of the state's progressive positions on so many things that are important to me.  It's not perfect by any means, and I'd be somewhere else if I could (the Mojave) but I can't.  I wouldn't be able to handle being in a right-wing state full of hunters and pro-lifers, for instance; and there are those here, too, but nowhere near as many as in some of the other states I could mention.  Best Friends is pretty much a community unto itself, and I don't think they encounter much in the way of problems from other groups, because they have so much land.  

It was interesting when we moved up to the Mojave from east L.A. area -- I didn't think I would be able to eat well, either, but I found of different!  The store up there is a Stater's and they have a lot of junk food for the local population, who seem by the way they look to consume a LOT of it -- but they also have a nice service deli and a lot of vegetarian/vegan items, plus decent produce.  They're serving a captive audience -- there aren't any other grocery stores for a long way -- so I guess they try to cover all the bases, and since the area has gotten more diverse, that includes more kinds of people with more kinds of requirements than it used to, I guess.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't wait until tomorrow.  I'm going to Wal*Mart and taking advantage of all the post-Halloween candy clearance sales.