Celebrating the Seasons

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How I know THAT feeling (but I'm wary of it, because we never know what "worst" is at any given time.  I just try to remain focused on being grateful for the good that I have had in life, and praying for the strength to get through whatever I must endure in this life).

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything you are saying is so familiar to me.  When it's at the worst, I try to look back on what "worst" has been in my past, and know that I have come through it.  That gives me some confidence, because if I got through that, I am likely to get through whatever it is I have to face now/in the future, too. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't had a harsh life or anything. My anxiety doesn't make sense. It's pointless and has no basis. Other than the fact that my dad is strict and my mom is slightly short tempered, I haven't really had problems. I had one bad event that fortunately ended before getting too far that happened not that long ago, but other than that my life is boring. So I don't know why I have anxiety. But I have it. It's there. And it can be a struggle.

I'm finally getting to volunteer and just did training for the dogs last night. My "path in life" is to help animals. That is what I dedicated myself to. That is my life. I worry and stress myself out, but I don't give up either. I know what I want to do. And I plan to do it. Even if I do run into the worst. Some things are not worth the fight, but this is. That's what a person with anxiety needs. Any person, really. Something to fight for. A goal in life. It helps.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my therapist said anxiety comes when depression goes away, typically you either have one or the other. I was depressed practically my whole life, I didn't know, other people were always telling me though. I was happy for the most part, had a great childhood, had fun in high school & early adult life. From what I understand, I guess when something traumatic happens, your mind holds onto that & then doubts & worries come into focus & then after years of being a worry wort, poof, anxiety takes up residence.

It's interesting though because just this week I've learned that drinking or doing drugs will change your brain forever. So if your brain is lacking some kind of chemical that makes anxiety happen, it will never go away unless you take medication. That's a total bummer to me cause I refuse to take meds. I'm actively trying to think of sad things all the time so I can go back to being depressed. It hasn't worked yet, but I really hope it does cause anxiety will cause all sorts of health issues (more to worry about). it sucks!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no professional in those subjects, so I won't comment except to say that you seem to have very clear focus and a very good heart, and combining the two is a winning combination IMHO.  No person is perfect or perfectly balanced, but I've always thought that the healthiest people emotionally are those who have compassion and a strong sense of personal responsibility, and who make those things live in their daily lives.  it's always worked for me and through the darkest times in my life -- and there have been many -- I credit those for enabling me to survive.  As long as you do what you love and are able to survive doing it, you're more fortunate than probably 99.9% of the people on this earth.  And you're SO right -- it is worth it.  Some people might not think so, but we know so, and it's proven so.  Keep your eyes on the prize, so to speak. and you cannot go wrong!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to point out the anxiety is actually often the cause of depression. I've done a lot of research into disorders in general due to my creating characters and even more into anxiety after realizing I more than likely had it. Anxiety is the cause of a lot of issues which is what makes it so dangerous. It's possible to have both at the same time and it's been proven that people can get passed it without medication. I have yet to manage that, but I can't say I've put a lot of effort into it. And nothing traumatic happened to me to cause my anxiety. It can be passed down just as any disorder. My mother had it and now I do too. Going back to depression isn't going to get rid of anxiety. If anything, it'll make it worse.

If I didn't have this one thing to fight for, my life would have no meaning. I don't care about much and there are few things that make me truly happy. Helping animals is perhaps the biggest one. I believe that this is a fight worth fighting even if it's not one that will ever end. And it's probably not, as tragic as it may be. As long as someone continues disrespecting animals -- life it's really -- then this battle will go on. But it's the one thing I care about.

I thank you for your support. It means a lot. It's not often I get to actually talk to someone. Especially not someone who agrees!

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you'll find that there are a lot of agreeable people here on this website. I really like talking & giving my opinion about this or that & it's not all about cat stuff as you can see.

I would like to point out the anxiety is actually often the cause of depression. I've done a lot of research into disorders in general due to my creating characters and even more into anxiety after realizing I more than likely had it. Anxiety is the cause of a lot of issues which is what makes it so dangerous. It's possible to have both at the same time and it's been proven that people can get passed it without medication. I have yet to manage that, but I can't say I've put a lot of effort into it. And nothing traumatic happened to me to cause my anxiety. It can be passed down just as any disorder. My mother had it and now I do too. Going back to depression isn't going to get rid of anxiety. If anything, it'll make it worse.

If I didn't have this one thing to fight for, my life would have no meaning. I don't care about much and there are few things that make me truly happy. Helping animals is perhaps the biggest one. I believe that this is a fight worth fighting even if it's not one that will ever end. And it's probably not, as tragic as it may be. As long as someone continues disrespecting animals -- life it's really -- then this battle will go on. But it's the one thing I care about.

I thank you for your support. It means a lot. It's not often I get to actually talk to someone. Especially not someone who agrees!
My therapist wanted me to join anxiety groups & do like group sessions. He said that healing comes from talking & having support & I really don't have much. There are TONS of people with anxiety, it's nice to know you aren't alone.

Wow it's like I'm listening to my own head when I read what you write, that's a good chunk of how I feel too, but have never told anyone or expressed it into words. My family gets all on me because I talk about this kind of stuff all the time, my fb page is littered with making life for farm animals better & for people to pay attention to what you buy at the store, animal rescue videos, etc. They don't have a voice, people need to step up for them because as you know, so many crappy people feel the need to walk all over them.

I don't know how I would have had anxiety when I was a kid but I was worried about everything, I remember it. I never felt like I do now until a few years ago, now it's like an echo on my heart, I always try to describe it as a light bulb that's flickering but it's a feeling & it's inside, not on your skin or anything, but in like your core. I think I hold my stomach muscles in & that's where I feel it the most. I have to be conscious about relaxing out my stomach more often then not.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely likewise! 

My mom had this little clipping pinned to the side of the refrigerator.  It says: The surest cure for loneliness, The quickest way to happiness, Is found in this, a simple creed: Go serve someone in greater need.

There's no credit, so I have no idea who said it.  But I often look at it, and it is one of many guides in my life.  For me, cats have always been part of my life, and always will be if I have anything to say/do about it.  And yes, there will always be the need for us to defend, advocate for, protect, respect, and love cats and other living beings.  That's good enough for me.  For those whose priority is people, great.  For those who prefer another species, wonderful.  For me, it's cats.  I think it's great whenever anyone spends time doing good, and I give props to everyone who does.  It's always been the reason why I am not depressed, though I have certainly been anxious.  The many incredibly sad and upsetting things that happen in this world could make me drown in a sea of sadness, but then I'd be no good to anyone.  So each day, I start new, working on behalf of those I love.  

IDK if you've ever looked at this site, but if you haven't, you owe it to yourself.  I found out about them years ago after my aunt passed one of their magazines to me after she found it somewhere.  These people have made the dream that you and I and most everyone else on this site shares, a reality.  http://www.BestFriends.org Enjoy!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely prefer other species. I can't say I have a specific one though. My mom tells me that I need to choose, that I can't save them all. I say I might not be able to save them all, but what's stopping me from trying? I can't say one is more important that the other or one should live while the other does not. I couldn't turn any animal down. I've gone back and forth a lot of what I want to do. I'd love to have a reserve for wildlife though I'd like to be somewhere with plenty of it. Not just birds and squirrels, but wolves and bears and other creatures as well. But I also want a shelter to help dogs and cats and domesticated animals. I figure, whatever money I make is mostly going to go towards helping the animals. I'm better at taking care of them than taking of myself anyway!

The only time I've really let anything get me down was when my mom, for some reason, was looking at for shows about pit bull rescues and whatnot. She found one called "Death Row Dogs" I think. It was a horrible show about some place where pit bulls were feared and hated and thought to be a danger. It was mostly cops finding dog fights or people who had a dog they weren't supposed to have. It wouldn't have been so bad except that if they found out a dog was in fact a pit bull, they killed the dog. I don't care how people want to phrase it or what they want to call it, but it's murder. I went through a very brief time of feeling nothing but a sort of heaviness. My mom caught on and asked me about it. I actually felt better after talking about it. I don't talk often and never like I've been able to on here. Facebook tries it's hardest to bring me down. My page is either covered in cute animals and happy rescue stories or dark and depressing things like fur farms and abandoned dogs.

@Johann: Beautiful cat! Glad to see someone else posting pictures as I think this topic has gotten... a bit off topic. Can't say any of my cats are so relaxed in a shirt. I'm impressed.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Tarasgirl06: I have not been to that site, but I had actually watched a documentary about the dogs recued from the Micheal Vick case. I think it might be the same thing.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I too checked out the website, it sounds like a pretty cool organization. They have lots of jobs posted, I would consider moving, but not sure about the altitude, it's a bit high. I get kinda dizzy around 4000ft I've noticed. Who knows if I'd get used to it or not.

I have a lot of animal related things on my FB page as well. I've considered removing the negative ones, I know bad things happen every day but do I really have to see it all the time? It's totally depressing. The latest was about factory farms & I guess Tyson chicken had someone from Mercy For Animals video some abuse that goes on. It's beyond me why people are doing a job if they hate it and/or the animals they have to deal with.

When I was younger I wanted my own wildlife refuge or animal shelter. I looked into it & if you're non-profit, basically you have to beg for money all the time just to pay the bills. Stuff like that scares me, I'd rather have more security. I've always envisioned having a house one day with lots of cats like the lady who has the Cat House on the Kings. That's more likely then an animal shelter.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything has risk. Nothing is completely safe. And if you aren't going to take the risks, then you'll never get to where you want to be. I'm full of worries, but I know I can never accomplish anything if I live in fear. I plan on becoming an author and also have dreams of being a photographer. As of right now, I have no other plans as of right now and am simply hoping I'm successful enough to support myself and my shelter. I know I have to do something and I have to do something big, because I would like to change the way people see animals. I can't do it alone, obviously, but if I can just change a few... There could be a world of difference.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A person after my own heart 
  Yes, Lynette Latanzio is amazing!!! A lot of shelters, sanctuaries and rescues have gone down since the recession, and more continue to all the time, so I think it's important for those who are so fortunate as to have any "discretionary income" to support the good ones that are still up and running.  Best Friends is one of the absolute best.  A good thing to do if you're ever interested is to visit.  You can even arrange to volunteer anywhere you want (i.e., cats).  I visited.  It is absolutely bona fide and it is located in one of the most beautiful, spiritually strong places there is, very near several national parks and also near the Grand Canyon.  It is a magical place unlike any other.  I would be there now if I could! 

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The same sanctuary.  I'm afraid I do not agree with you on the pitbull issue but let's not let that hang us up.  Best Friends is home to many members of many species, large and small, wild and domestic.  It's located in the redrock country of SW Utah, near several famous national parks and near the Grand Canyon as well.  It is one of the most beautiful places on earth.  I visited.  I would be there now if I could, working with cats.  It is just an amazing place and the people, at least those I met, were very special, kind and intelligent and hard-working and "my kind of folks".  I think it's the kind of place you'd be proud to be associated with, or to model your own place after.  They have lots of seminars and webinars, too, because people from all over the world see it as their flagship for the kind of sanctuary they'd want: positive, successful, and a TRUE sanctuary.  

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe pit bulls are dogs and, like any dog, are valuable living beings. And that's all there is to it.

Best Friends definitely sounds like a place I'd be interested in. I wouldn't mind volunteering there, but that would be a long drive. Maybe I'll look into moving there as I don't plan on staying where I am. I was planning on moving to Montana since I prefer the colder weather and that seems to be the place that I always relate with nature and mountains and the like. I've done some looking into it and so far Montana seems like the best. California seems to have the most animal rights laws, but that's definitely not the place for me. I'm not sure that I've done a whole lot of looking into Utah... I'll have to put it on my ever-growing list of things to do.

@msserena: Sounds good to me! I'll probably need all the help I can get.