Cats That Go Over the Rainbow Bridge

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you're not a nut. It does help to have plans--that way it's easier when the time comes. Even if, as in my case, they're not elaborate plans.

Tiger and Daffy, my two RB kitties, are both buried several states away... but I'll always have memories; and because I wrote stories and took pictures, they'll probably never fade.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're not a nut, I was just thinking about this the other day.

I don't like the idea of burying them in a backyard. Partly because my SO used to do a lot of landscaping work and has of course run into beloved pets buried in the yard he was landscaping.

When I was younger my mom had placed a cremated dog's ashes in an urn in her den next to his collar and a few other things and it just creeped me out as a kid. Now, I can understand wanting to do something like this but I still don't think it's something I would do.

I think that I will have them cremated and then will spread their ashes somewhere. My fear is that when that time comes (and hopefully it doesn't come for another 20 years), that I will be able to have the vet put them to sleep instead of finding them in the house. I just don't think I could handle seeing them dead.

I like the idea of pet cemeteries but I almost don't trust them. Haven't they received some negative press lately for being a scam? I don't know, maybe I'm paranoid.

I have tons of pics of my babies and I've only had them for a few months. I wish I had pictures (even one!) of some of the pets we had when I was a kid.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my Smokey cremated (my vets office does it themselves), and put her in a beautiful urn that I had specially made for her. Urn's for pets are easy to find. If you go on-line and look it up on Google there are a ton of companies. I actually did a project for a class on pet-loss. I have the names of some places that had a large selection. Unfortunately since it's been 4 years I have forgotten the name of the place that made Smokey's and I can't find them anywhere. If anyone wants some names, Just PM me and I can supply some.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Sakura... it's difficult finding a pet dead; but it isn't horrible. It fades after a while, just like any sort of grief.