Cats of Colonia de las Rosas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Mamie is a feisty kitten. A few nights ago Louie decided to challenge Red; they were both standing about a foot apart and glaring at each other. Mamie comes up all kitten unaware with tail straight up and touches noses with Red, then with Louie, tension melted and the challenge was gone.

She does have her enemies though. Both Lady Day and Sneakers chase her and intimidate her. Tonight Lady Day just took off after her and she ran away toward Johnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s garden. Blackie went to save her and in a moment Lady Day came back. In the meantime, Jose went to make sure Mamie was ok and a second later they were playing together.
(Mamie is about 7 months old.)

Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s still cold, but no rain tonight. The cats were all nervous though, because Louie was challenging the males, again. He had Tiger cornered under the bench, but when I got there he ran. The cat family that started this colony is very laid back. They never fight, even when challenged, they back out. Tiger is three times as big as Louie, but he was glad to have me break it up. Since they are mostly long-haired, too, I wonder if they are part Persian. Not that it matters, I just get curious.

Thursday night, I trap for Friday surgery.

Roll Call: Blackie, Bonita, Eleanor, Growltiger, Jose, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Red, Sneakers, Tiger, Zachary. Twelve total.

Bobbie -- thank you for your words of encouragement. They are appreciated.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck trapping Mamie! Lots of trapping vibes coming your way!

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wednesday, March 23, 2006

Busy evening. I went back to the Central Library and printed out the plans for building a cat shelter from Alley Cat Allies for the woodworking teacher. I hope he’s willing to do it.

By the time I got back it was 7 p.m. The cats were lined up staring at the front door waiting for me. Blackie was the first to see me coming from the other direction and immediately began telling me off.

Joyce was due at 7 p.m. too, so I ran upstairs and had to call back my daughter, since I heard her on the phone as I came in. Then called Joyce who was on her way with the two traps. Fed my own two cats, and got the outside cats’ food all set up and went down and delivered it to very happy kitties. I hate to cause them anxiety about their food. I saw Joyce pull into the driveway just as I started for the gate.

She introduced her new dog, Spirit, and her old dog, Dodger. We talked about the traps, how long I could keep them, my signature, and etc. She gave me two beautiful posters of a painting by her husband. Then she left. Mamie, Growltiger, Louie, Red and Zachary need to be fixed. As my daughter says -- the boys have to get their balls cut off.

Another water dish was thrown away, but I got it out of the garbage pail and put it further back out of sight, I hope. As I said before, how can people be so petty and mean?

Roll Call: Blackie, Bonita, Eleanor, Growltiger, Jose, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Red, Sneakers, Tiger, Zachary. Twelve total.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, I didn't know you had that many to get done! That's a big job. Good luck with the trapping! Are you going to start soon?

Keep us updated!

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Clixpix. Yeah, they built up while Jose was caring for them. His illness affected his attitudes and made it impossible to work with him, so they were not trapped. (He didn't like trapping.)

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katie=^..^=

Thank you Clixpix. Yeah, they built up while Jose was caring for them. His illness affected his attitudes and made it impossible to work with him, so they were not trapped. (He didn't like trapping.)
So were you able to catch any last week??

Katie

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saturday, March 25, 2006

Sorry I have not written. The kitties were fed everyday, though.

It was very strange when I went out tonight. There was not a cat in sight!
Confused, I started calling, “Kitty cats, kitty cats,†to no response. I resorted to names, “Bonita, Mamie, Tiger, Josecito,†and then finally I saw Louie, Bonita and Tiger come running. After I got the food all set up, I looked around and realized what was happening – two little girls were playing in the garden. The smallest one had a little ball which I had left for the cats and was probably trying to play with our cats. Instead all those cute little cats ran away! She brought the ball to me, very sweetly, but all of the cats didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t come out until they were inside.

My sweet cats were hiding from the little girl who seemed so threatening to them. There are mean anti-cat people here, and it is better that they maintain a certain distrust. It is safer for them. The tragedy of that is disquieting and makes me want to pray for a better world.

Tomorrow I start to trap.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Guys --

No I have not begun to trap yet. A lot of complications these last few days. Also it seems difficult, I'm not sure I can succeed.

My little cats were bribed into accepting the situation by giving them some of the gravy from the cans I open for the outside cats. Graycie, especially, acts like its nectar from the gods and gobbles it right up, then sits and cleans her paws while I leave. She's also developed the habit of running out the apt. front door when I come back. Then she has the pleasure of me chasing her down and carrying her back murmuring words of love all along the way.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi Guys --

No I have not begun to trap yet. A lot of complications these last few days. Also it seems difficult, I'm not sure I can succeed.

My little cats were bribed into accepting the situation by giving them some of the gravy from the cans I open for the outside cats. Graycie, especially, acts like its nectar from the gods and gobbles it right up, then sits and cleans her paws while I leave. She's also developed the habit of running out the apt. front door when I come back. Then she has the pleasure of me chasing her down and carrying her back murmuring words of love all along the way.
Katie....it is critical that if you are feeding these cats...that you also trap them and get them vetted. Feeding alone will create more cats to be fed. I know there are several TNR groups in California, have you contacted any of them?

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html#ca

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
((katie))
good luck with the trapping! Let us know what happens!

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Sorry I have not written. The kitties were fed everyday, though.

It was very strange when I went out tonight. There was not a cat in sight!
Confused, I started calling, “Kitty cats, kitty cats,†to no response. I resorted to names, “Bonita, Mamie, Tiger, Josecito,†and then finally I saw Louie, Bonita and Tiger come running. After I got the food all set up, I looked around and realized what was happening – two little girls were playing in the garden. The smallest one had a little ball which I had left for the cats and was probably trying to play with our cats. Instead all those cute little cats ran away! She brought the ball to me, very sweetly, but all of the cats didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t come out until they were inside.

My sweet cats were hiding from the little girl who seemed so threatening to them. There are mean anti-cat people here, and it is better that they maintain a certain distrust. It is safer for them. The tragedy of that is disquieting and makes me want to pray for a better world.

Tomorrow I start to trap.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sunday, March 26, 2006

Growltiger and Louie are very quietly contained in my bathroom.
I put out the traps, one near John’s garden trying to catch Mamie, but Louie found it first. I watched him and Blackie playing together making a big circle around the garden ending up right at the trap. He went right in and SNAP! Poor baby, he was very frightened, probably still is. Growltiger was caught first. That was the trap I hoped to get Louie or Red in. He saw it and got curious, and went right in.

Poor little Lady Day went in the big boy’s trap while I was upstairs getting the small one. She was crying and indignant when I got back down. She’s already forgiven me, though, bless her heart.

The grey tuxedo cat is still hanging around our little Mamie.
I called and called to get her to come to dinner and then I saw him. I hope I catch her very soon. If this goes well and these boys go tomorrow – that is if Vickie, my ride, can take them in the morning, I can trap again Tuesday.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi TNR1 -- don't worry I know the importance of spaying/neutering the cats. When I first came here, there were five cats and I tried to get management to help me trap them. No. They said they would only trap if I took them to animal control (to be killed). I thought they were very short-sighted then, and I didn't know anything about TNR. In the meantime I worked very hard to trap the cats and get them spayed or neutered and to find non-kill shelters and homes for the kittens that were born. Most of the help I've gotten has come from the internet. The Cat Site has helped tremendously helpful to soften attitudes here but there's still a long way to go.

I have not been taking care of the cats lately and the man who was had a lot of health problems that affected his thinking and made him impossible to work with. Now these 5 individual cats have joined the group, which was all family.

Thank you, Bobbie for your encouragement. I think two boys is good for the first outing, but Mamie is the most important one because she will continue to attract suitors.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great trapping Katie!
The boys will recover quickly, so you'll soon be able to get little Mamie. You're right, she's the most important one, but "a bird in the hand is worth two in a bush" as they say. Or in this case, "a cat in a trap..."

Excellent work!

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, Katie. Kiss them all for me (if they will let you.)

Hi TNR1 -- don't worry I know the importance of spaying/neutering the cats. When I first came here, there were five cats and I tried to get management to help me trap them. No. They said they would only trap if I took them to animal control (to be killed). I thought they were very short-sided then, and I didn't know anything about TNR. In the meantime I worked very hard to trap the cats and get them spayed or neutered and to find non-kill shelters and homes for the kittens that were born. Most of the help I've gotten has come from the internet. The Cat Site has helped tremendously helping to soften attitudes herebut there's still a long way to go. I have not been taking care of the cats lately and the man who was had a lot of health problems that affected his thinking and made him impossible to work with. Now these 5 individual cats have joined the group, which was all family.

Thank you, Bobbie for your encouragement. I think two boys is good for the first outing, but Mamie is the most important one because she will continue to attract suitors.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Bobbie and Clixpix. Vickie just told me she can give me a ride this morning, so its all go go go. Poor little Growltiger definitely has trust in people, whenever he sees me he meows pitieously just about breaking my heart. That shows he has trust in people to help him, though, and means he has been taken care of. Little Louie, on the other hand is very frightened. He actually lunged at me through the trap. He has no trust at all. I'll have to throw Louie's kiss to him, but I'll make sure Growltiger gets his direct.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The boys are home and ok. They are resting in the traps in my bathroom. They can be released in the morning. More later.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The boys are home and ok. They are resting in the traps in my bathroom. They can be released in the morning. More later.
That's great.....good job Katie!! I do hope you can catch the Mamie soon.

Katie

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Monday, March 27, 2006

Having two less cats made it seem very quiet and almost serene feeding the cats tonight.
Growltiger and Louie are resting in their traps in the bathroom. The boys also had the basic vaccinations. The vet said they could go out in the morning, but it’s going to rain tomorrow, so I’m not so sure. For the same reason, I may not be able to trap tomorrow, which means no more trapping until Sunday.

It started raining before they had finished, so again, the food went next to the Recreation Building and I came inside.

Mamie’s suitor the grey tuxedo cat, who seems completely uninterested in eating, was visiting..

Roll Call: Blackie, Bonita, Eleanor, Jose, Lady Day, Mamie, Sneakers, Tiger, Zachary. Nine total.