Cats of Colonia de las Rosas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a doctor's appointment today and afterward I spent some time with my daughter. I didn't get home until around 8:30. My outdoor kitties were all waiting at the feeding bench and were very happy to see me. They followed me to the front door and waited for me there.

I thought they were all there except Red. I thought Mamie was sitting on the rec bldg roof. Then as I was calling for Red, I turned around and saw little Mamie coming to the feeding bench! So who was that on the roof? I thought it was Red, but I couldn't see his tipped ear. So who was it?

Sneakers was there, and Mamie and everyone else. Who was it on the rec bldg?

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Sneakers. 10 Total plus one mystery cat.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little cats were waiting on the feeding bench tonight -- but only 7 of them. I called for the others "Sneeeeeekeeeeers! Maaaaaaamieeeeee! Reeeeeeed! Blaaaaaaackieeeeeee! By the time I was through the second round, there was little Blackie looking sleepy. Then after a quick trip across the street, and while I was having a sandwich and soda, Sneakers showed up and slid off the rec bldg roof to the ground.

On my way back to the bench, Lady Day met me on the sidewalk outside the garden. I was walking along and heard her soft meow. Blackie showed up too.

Whenwas time to come inside, there was Red. Haven't seen Mamie.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 10 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties are growing more and more fond of me. Even the shyest ones, like Sneakers and Louie, are letting me get very close to them when I put down the food. Only Red and Mamie keep their distance and even they obviously trust me so much more than when I first started feeding them. After all it's been 2 and a half years!

Lady Day has developed a disturbing habit of following me when I go the the stores across the street. I worry about her not being careful enough of traffic. When I cross the street now I hear her greeting me and she runs out from wherever she's gone and accompanies me back to the garden. Blackie sometimes waits for me, too, but he doesn't come all the way to the intersection. It's so touchingly sweet, but I don't want her to get hurt.

Tonight was a good night. Mamie was sitting on the rec bldg when I came out with their food. She stayed there, though, refusing to come down and eat with the group. I put some food under the bench for her, but she didn't see me and was still on the building when I came in. She's such an attraction little tabby. I always wish I could find a way to make her feel (and be) safer.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday when I went out to feed the cats, they were all scattered and when little Blackie saw me he came running to me meowing. It was because of some rowdy children playing in the garden. Their mother was there, but they were chasing the poor cats around for entertainment. I told the them to stop and the boy -- about 8 years old -- told me "I hate cats!" I said something lame about there being no reason to hate cats.

His mother came strolling up then, and he started to leave with her, but first he asked me, "What are those white things?" He was pointed to some very large mushrooms that have been growing in big circles in the garden this summer. I told him mushrooms and he said "I hate mushrooms!" I said something outright stupid in response, "You're a hateful little boy aren't you?" I don't think he really heard, his mother was talking to him, too. Anyway, as ashamed as I am of such a stupid thing to say to a little kid, I really doubt that his spirit would be crushed by it. He was way too unruly.

My kitties were a little unsure of themselves, but they, too, are not easily crushed and seemed okay with just a little bit of soft talk and some head scratches.

Today, I took their food out early -- around 3:30 in the afternoon, and as I was walking to the feeding bench there was MAMIE! I was so glad to see her. She was clearly surprised to see me. She stopped to look at me and then saw I was setting down the bowl of food for her. I also put some under the feeding bench. She went under the bench. Oscar was there, already eating the food, but she joined him. They were both crunching away when I left.

When I got back, I called all the cats. Red was already there lounging in the grass. Half of the food was eaten. Everyone but Sneakers and Mamie showed up to say hi to me, even if they had eaten. I petted Dude for awhile, then came in.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red. 10 Total.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katie=^..^=

His mother came strolling up then, and he started to leave with her, but first he asked me, "What are those white things?" He was pointed to some very large mushrooms that have been growing in big circles in the garden this summer. I told him mushrooms and he said "I hate mushrooms!" I said something outright stupid in response, "You're a hateful little boy aren't you?" I don't think he really heard, his mother was talking to him, too. Anyway, as ashamed as I am of such a stupid thing to say to a little kid, I really doubt that his spirit would be crushed by it. He was way too unruly.

A comedian did a funny skit about mean kids. He said they should be on the frontlines during any combat because these kids are more vicious and resilient than any special forces or Navy Seals he had ever known.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MY little kitties have gotten so sweet. I've been feeding them for 2 and a half years now and they are starting to love me as much as my inside cats.

Today, as has become common, I left their food by the feeding bench in the big dog bowl when I left to go shopping with my daughter. It was late enough (6:45pm) that I saw Oscar, then Alfie and Henry, and then Louie and Blackie come running to eat. When I got back though at nearly 11pm, they were still sitting on and near the feeding bench waiting for me. Most of the food was eaten, but the same cats, plus Josesito and Lady Day were there.

They followed me to the front door (I went inside to get my shopping cart to help get my groceries inside) and waited for me. Then they followed me to the car and waited there. I poured out their food before I came inside and changed the water in their bowls. Then I talked to them for a few minutes. I wonder if they followed me back to the front door?!

It gives me such a charge to know they really care for me.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar. 7 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More rowdy kids today! My cats were hiding nearby, but wanted to keep a distance from the kids.

But today was special because one of neighbors gave me three cans of Friskies for the cats!

So I called "kitty cats, kitty cats" and some came running. I put out the kibble and then three plates of Friskies! They were so happy with their little treat.

Later Sneakers and Mamie came down from the rec bldg roof. Dude was mean to Mamie, though, and chased her off. The girls didn't get any Friskies.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Sneakers. 10 Total.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Summer has been hard for my kitties too. They stay away more because of the noise. I put food out and sometimes it is eaten and sometimes not. I hope in the fall to see more of them.

I am always relieved when you say Mamie has come to eat. I have a soft spot for her.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you like Mamie. So do I. She came here as a little kitten, not more than 2 months old. She was about 5-7 months old when I started taking care of the cats. I have no idea how she got here. She was very quick and very shy right from the beginning. She is still afraid -- both of other cats and humans. I wish so much I could make her feel safer.

I know my cats always eat. They just hate it when there are kids playing in the garden. The kids here seem very rowdy. The parents never explain to them that they shouldn't chase or yell at the cats so they think it is fine sport. Even Oscar goes up on the roof of the rec bldg to get away from them.

I went out today. I had a doctor's appointment then I went to the Dodger game. (We won! Yaaaaaay!) I got home just before 11p.m. These are the cats I saw when I got home.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red. 7 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I need a new cat name. The third little orange and white boy. At least I think he's a boy. I'm keeping that assumption until proven otherwise!

I mentioned before that I had seen him eating twice. Now he has come for the last few days, and he's definitely hungry when he comes. I gave him a little handful today -- way down the sidewalk from the group -- and he was crunching away when I sat down and looked back. What should I call him? Any suggestions? I don't have any ideas. I'm just named out after taking care of so many cats -- rescued or not -- for over five years.

No one else has called about Zazie. I worry that I will have her until she's older like Little Guy. I've just about given up on anyone adopting him.

Another neighbor gave me three cans of 9-Lives today. The cats like these little treats. They are so easy to please!

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. Plus the new guy. 11 Total Missing Mamie.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you a fan of the Kennedys? Those are all Kennedy family names.

I have decided to name him Mitchell, after the astronaut Edgar Mitchell. That's by association with the round moonlike white mark around his nose.

Zazie is laying right where my keyboard should be so typing this is hard.

Mamie made me laugh out loud today when I went out to feed the cats. She was on top of the rec bldg with her paws in front of her in a very langourous position as though she was saying "Madame awaits her dinner." She refused to come down and eat with the commonplace folks though.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar. 9 Total

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oscar is a wonderful cat. He showed up about three years ago, malnourished and dehydrated. The caretaker then was Jose. He called Oscar El Feo -- the ugly one -- because he was so horribly skinny and his black coat had rusty brown patches. Jose fed him carefully with canned food. He watched Oscar when he fed the cats and gave him more and more tasty and cheap canned food until Oscar said "enough." He gained weight and turned black. His coat is not shiny, though, and is still very rough.

I know Oscar is not real healthy. I took him to the vet, but he couldn't discover why he was peeing blood. The vet did cure his scratched eye and told me he was about seven-years-old. By the time I put him back outside he had quit peeing blood, but I still see him squatting a lot more often than any of the other cats. Also he gained weight, but he is still painfully skinny.

The people here think he looks like a panther. They often remark on him. He stands out from all the other cats, because he is lanky and long. He has a long body and very long legs with a long tail to top it all off. He's beautiful and graceful when he jumps from the rec bldg to the tree and when he runs across the yard. Lately I've noticed one white whisker -- my boy's starting to show his age!

The other black cats adore him. Blackie and Sneakers run to him and rub their bodies against his. He just seems to tolerate all the affection. They like to sit or lay next to him. They seem to feel they are part of a special Black Cats Club.

The rest of the cats seem to regard him as their wise old man. He gets a lot of respect. He's not feral. He was already neutered when he showed up in the yard. The other cats seem to think he has a lot to offer the group even if it's not feral cat survival skills. He's very tame and lets me pick him up. He used to purr when I picked him up, but he's quit. I wish I knew why.

I love Oscar. He's just so cool.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 10 Total

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zazie had another interview today. I wonder how she did. A nice couple, very young, students at Cal State Chico. We'll see if they call.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar. 7 total.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like reading about the Kennedy family. Their story is like an opera. So much tragedy for one family. My grandmother was Irish so the Kennedys were like royalty to her.
I like the story about Mamie Queen of the Universe.

Hopefully you get Zazie adopted.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fascinated by the Kennedy's too. The men have done some awful things -- all that womanizing -- but they have worked hard, too, at many social causes. I admire them.

I saw Mamie yesterday. Hanging under the feeding bench when I went out late.

You won't believe the last person who called for Zazie. It was the husband in a family with three children, ages infant, 3 and 4 years old. They had adopted a kitten they found in the neighborhood and somehow he had gotten out (someone left the back door open) and was killed by a car. He couldn't understand why the woman at Petco was upset by that and wouldn't let him adopt one of her cats.

I had put Zazie in the bathroom, with them. Their 3 year old boy (they left the baby at home) was whiney and restless, so I said, "I'll leave you with Zazie and go downstairs with Enzo." All the little boy talked about was that his kitten was dead and that meant he wouldn't see him anymore. The poor little tyke didn't really understand what death meant and was heartbroken that his kitten was gone.

Pretty soon, Mom showed up and asked me to come upstairs to talk about Zazie. The dad had opened the bathroom door and Zazie had darted under the trundle bed, under my daybed. There was no getting her out from there. Dad wanted to take Zazie home with him. I had said I would deliver Zazie, although I wasn't too sure about the safety of the house. After he let Zazie out of the bathroom, I had even bigger red flags going up. He couldn't understand why he couldn't just pick up Zazie and take her home like people used to do. He talked about people who used to stand in front of grocery stores and give away kittens.

I explained that no one is that trusting anymore. Then I pointed out that once Zazie went under the bed, I couldn't get her out anyway.

He said if he couldn't take her home right then and there it was a deal breaker. I said okay. Zazie is still homeless.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 10 Total.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a nut. First they don't secure their home and then he wants a cat right now! He obviously does not see cats as a part of the family. He sounds like he sees them as possessions that get broken sometimes.
Better for Zazie to hold out for something better.

Yes, the Kennedys have that dichotomy of having done some really good things and some really awful things too. The best and the worst of mankind.
Thank Goodness my Grandmother was not alive when JFK Jr died. She would have worn black for the rest of her life!

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was a very good day with the colony. Eight were already there when I came out, and Sneakers and Mamie both showed up when I called them.

I feel so happy with my friendships with the cats. I have not been as consistent with feeding times as I have been in the past, but whenever I come home at night, they always come to greet me. That's when they hang out in the garden because they feel safe then. They make me feel so welcome and so at home with their sweet friendly ways.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Sneakers. 10 Total