Cats of Colonia de las Rosas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your good wishes worked because my little Blackie showed up feeling better tonight. His breath is okay and he was eating some. I'm very relieved, I guess he just ate something that was already spoiled.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie Dude. Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers 10 Total

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blackie seems almost back to himself now. I picked him up again today and he smells okay and he seems a little heavier. I didn't even realize how much weight he had lost. He's such a small cat.

I went out the back door tonight, with my neighbor who was visiting at feeding time. She enjoys feeding time, too! They were waiting for me around the feeding bench. Well, actually I had to call 5 of them because we were a little early. I called Alfie, Josesito, Red, Sneakers and Mamie. Everyone showed up except Sneakers.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red. 10 Total

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went out a little early and had to call for some of the cats. Eventually everyone showed up.

When I got home I saw some white paws start running to the garden. It was Mamie! She was sitting on the sidewalk and looking very cute. She seems much happier lately. I hope she has a good summer. Last year was so hard for us.

I'm just stunned at the difference in Red. He is brave now and often waits for me with the other cats. He comes in daylight and shares one of the piles of food with them. He even came when my friend was talking to me yesterday. I'm very happy to see him looking so good and being so brave. I saw him sleeping next to one of the shelters the other day. I think he sleeps in it, too. He's got his own little place!

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I've been unable to post because I had a crisis with my diabetes. As I get older it gets harder and harder to control and it stayed high for several days and I got quite sick.

I'm starting to feel a lot better, and so will begin posting more now.

The correct trap has come, so as soon as I'm a little better, I'll start calling for financial assistance. I am going to have transportation problems because my daughter hurt her foot and is unable to drive. I'll know more about that Friday or next week. As soon as the MRI's are done.

I'll write more tonight.

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are feeling better now.

I hope nothing major is wrong with your daughter's foot.

My husband just had shoulder surgery for repairing torn tendons. He has have physical therapy 2 times a week.
It's no fun to have that kind of injury when weather is getting nicer everyday.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
opilot, I completely missed your last post until just now. I'm so glad Blackie is better. You added to the mystery of what might have been wrong with him.

He is acting just like his old self now. He's not an older cat. He's only about six-years-old and I've known him since he was a tiny kitten. His mother was a feral girl and she had him somewhere out of the garden. Then when he was about three months old, she brought him home.

They stayed very close. Even though Blackie was adopted as an in-and-out cat, everynight after they were fed, Blackie would go up on the balcony and meow for his mom. She would come running to him and they spent a lot of time together. I often saw them curled up next to each other.

It was very sad when she died.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally cooled off today. Back to normal and my cats were happy. They were all waiting for me at the feeding bench.

Henry is such a dirty little cat. All my cats are looking very scuzzy and unkempt lately, but Henry is the worst. Even Louie, who is not well-groomed, looks good next to Henry. I thought once he got accepted into the group and got used to being an outdoor cat, he would start taking care of himself. Instead, he still looks like an abandoned cat that doesn't have a clue.

Other of the cats that have white paws, like Sneakers and Mamie, even little Alfie, keep themselves very clean and neat looking. Lady Day always looks like the princess she is. Of course, the black guys always look spiffy!

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katie=^..^=

Finally cooled off today. Back to normal and my cats were happy. They were all waiting for me at the feeding bench.

Henry is such a dirty little cat. All my cats are looking very scuzzy and unkempt lately, but Henry is the worst. Even Louie, who is not well-groomed, looks good next to Henry. I thought once he got accepted into the group and got used to being an outdoor cat, he would start taking care of himself. Instead, he still looks like an abandoned cat that doesn't have a clue.

Other of the cats that have white paws, like Sneakers and Mamie, even little Alfie, keep themselves very clean and neat looking. Lady Day always looks like the princess she is. Of course, the black guys always look spiffy!

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total.
I think that dirtiness thing is some sort of personal preference, or maybe camoflage. When Clyde gets to go out (supervised) the first thing he does is head to a dirt pile and roll around and get unspeakably dirty! His former owner said he's always done that.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi kluchetta. I'll bet Clyde is really funny rolling in the dirt! Maybe you're right about Henry. He certainly is a dirty little guy.

I got a letter from my favorite correspondent, Daisy, my former foster kitten. She writes:

Dear First Meomy,

I have some GREAT NEWS!! Second Meowmy is retiring in June. That means more body massages for me. Did you know that I like body massages? I get very grumpy when I don't get them.

Second Meowmy will be with ME a lot!! Papa will retire next year, and THAT will be a major celebration because 2 will be doting on me!

I might have told you that Second Meowmy is going to volunteer at the animal shelter near here. She always says I'm so-o-o lucky because I'm so-o-o loved. I approve about her helping those homeless dogs and cats. Did I tell you that scientists think I'm as smart as a toddler. Since Second Meowmy found that out, she talks to me a lot. She is always telling me how smart I am.

We think about you a lot and second meowmy is very happy that you were my first meowmy.

Love, Daisy

I always feel so great great when Daisy writes me. I'm glad I was able to find her such a good home.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Katie you rock. How lucky Daisy is! My Frogita is like Daisy -
very very lucky!! Ditto all the cats that have crossed my path...

So far my 12 ferals at the colony are doing well. I saw 2 guys I had not seen in a while - the bobtail (his tail got cut off somehow??!!) and a grey and white battered looking boy. Neither one neutered. Sigh. Catching trapping time comes again. Fortunately MOST to ALL females have been caught and done.. so the kitten population should be miniscule to none...

My 3 foster guys are okay. Baby has become much more loving, the key to her was being at my house, not being caged, having a laser toy play session daily AND getting babyfood and roasted chikie. she's such a little plump tummy girl now!!
I do not think she's lap quality cat, but she IS affectionate in her way...

Frodo poor guy wants OUT. He is semi feral now, but no touching allowed. He will sit close, play close and eat close, just no touching please! He wanders the house when the others are out. He is an alpah wanna be, and has tried to bother old Diablo, and young Goose. Both of whom take him as an irritant. Hence my reluctance to allow to roam outside freely - he could
attack my Goose and/or Diablo and/or get in fights with local cats...

Cody was sick for a long time. When I first got him, he had upper sniffles and tooth problems. Then he got really sick URI, drippy nose etc. He was on Clindamycine but would not take it (Antirobe). Now he has Clavamox in his food daily 2x and is MUCH better! He aslo has daily ear drops (hates) but his ears are clean again. He had blockage and was miserable.

Last night he played for the first time and came for love on my lap. and purred. It was so touching. He has simply felt miserable. It was I who found out about his issues - and fixed him up, and/or am fixing. He will probably need his teeth out (Stomatitis/Gingivitis really bad) eventually, but
for now, he needs to get healthy. Hopefully his rescue group will help with costs....

My Diablo is doing well despite his failing kidneys. Every day he lives is another day to enjoy his company. He gets spoilt ... I will be crushed when his time comes to go...

Okay, off I go now. Keep us posted Katie. I so love hearing about the adventures of your brood!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny how clean some cats are and others aren't.

Your ferals are so loyal and very sweet it seems. I wonder if they have ever studied how much better strays and ferals do with some regular feeding. I bet it cuts down on fighting and roaming.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your posts. I love hearing how you are doing with your cats. Cody sounds like a challenge, but he seems to be coming through. You have been very patient with him.

I posted Daisy's note because it is so great to feel I did a good job with her. I know the other cats I placed are also having good lives, but she is the only one that keeps in touch regularly.

Sunday, I had a friend visit and when it came time to feed the cats, we went out together. I completely forgot about going out the back door and went out the front. My cats were there! My friend got a real kick out of how cute they are when they see me and start running to the feeding bench with their happy tails up and waving.

When I pour out the food they are meowing and swirling around. Then they settle down to crunching. This week I splurged and bought some healthful food for them at the pet store. I also poured out some of their usual food. They much prefer the cheap stuff! Just like us, I guess, the junk food is tastier!

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Red, Sneakers. 10 Total

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

They much prefer the cheap stuff! Just like us, I guess, the junk food is tastier!
Torako does the same thing!.

I sometimes put fresh cooked salmon (left over, though), or chicken without seasoning and she wants Fancy Feast instead!!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeding them something in your budget is the important thing. These are a lot of kitties.
Try getting some samples from pet stores and online. I got a bagful of samples and they love it. Especially when you tell people what you are doing they tend to be generous.
Maybe you can mix the healthful with the 'junk food'.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning about 6am I went out to see how much food my kitties were eating. A lot of them were up and still nibbling at the food. It was nearly all gone, though, so I think I'll put out a little more. Not only do they eat more at times (like winter), but the different kinds of food recommend varying amounts. I'm not satisfied with the food I have for them right now. It's too much of a bargain. I'm going back to Friskies kibble. They seemed to look healthier to me when they were eating that.

I was wrong about how dirty Henry is. He was feeling more affectionate than ever before this morning. He was making those heart-melting trilling meows, and he laid down on the bench so I could pet him! I got a good look at his paws and they aren't white, they're actually a light stippled grey color. Could that mean he's actually a dilute calico? And does that mean he might not be a he? Either that or he's one of those unusual male cats with an extra y chromosome. He wouldn't roll over so that I could make sure he's a he. He's bitten me before and I got infected and ended up in the emergency room, so I wasn't going to push it.

I saw everyone but Oscar this morning. I wonder where he was?

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Red, Sneakers. 10 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter had an interesting take on Henry's grey paws. It is so unusual for a cat with as much white as Henry to have colored paws. She suggested that maybe he has a touch of Siamese in him. Maybe.

Today I got a note from the woman that adopted Sun. Sun was part of a 4-kitten litter that was abandoned in the garden nearly two years ago. This woman adopted two of the litter when they were 3 months old. Then a third one, Lulu, was adopted last fall. Then this same woman bought a house and had room for more cats, so she adopted Sun. BTW Sun is named from my daughter's Korean dance teacher at UCLA, not the big star in the sky, but it seems she still got nicknamed for the big star.

She writes:
Dear Katie,

Somewhere in Week 5, Sun (aka Sunshine, Sunnybear, or Supermodel) found her appetite and never looked back! He coat is soft like a bunny and glistens. Sun is a very lovely cat, she really is. I can't say her siblings have enbraced her with open arms, but since all 3 are easygoing, there are no problems. In March I adopted a dog from the shelter, and suprisingly, everybody gets along. Sun in particular gets along with Ruby, maybe because they're the last ones in and feel a sense of camaraderie. On nights I fall asleep on the couch, I can always count on having Ruby shoved up against me, and Sun asleep on my chest. We are one big family now!! Have a great mother's day.
It's wonderful to know my fosters are so happy. Maybe I'll get a report on Lulu soon. I placed three kittens last summer (every year kittens are abandoned in the garden.), but I haven't heard anything about them.

The roll call is small tonight because I did one of those out early, in late things and didn't see them all.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red. 8 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope everyone had a good Mother's Day. Our Mother's Day coincided with Mexican Mother's Day (which is always May 11) this year, so everyone in East L.A. was celebrating together. Usually it's a little raggedy with some people celebrating one and some the other, and some both.

I went to my daughter's apartment since she can't drive. It turns out she has tendinitis in her foot because of the back injuries she suffered in the car accident last fall. Now the doctor treating the tendinitis wants her to put her foot in a cast, but the physical therapist treating the back pain says that will delay the treatment of her back injury. The back injury has to be healed because it caused the foot problems. What kind of situation is that?

Anyway I left early and got home late. The cats were so adorable when I got home. When I came in the gate (propped open with a brick, so much for security) I saw them all sitting on and around the feeding bench. I called "kitty cats, kitty cats" and they came running with Henry and Alfie in the lead. Then I saw Blackie racing across the lawn. Louie was doing his adorable duck and roll. It was so cute I laughed and cried at once. Occasionally our little cats forget their dignity and show their unabashed enthusiasm for us.

They had finished most of the food I left in the big bowl. I poured out the rest of it on the sidewalk and they ran over like they usually do when I first come out! Pretty soon, it was crunch, crunch, crunch. I called for Mamie and Sneakers, petted Dude and talked to the rest, then I came upstairs. I was exhausted from a long day.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red. 9 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It fascinates and confuses me that my little cats seem to know when I am going to use the front door. Once, again, I went out by the front door and there they were -- nearly the whole group! I've tried to figure out how they pull that little trick, but I can't figure it out. Do they hear the elevator? No, not from the bench.

It was chilly, overcast and windy when I went out. The weather casters were calling it May Gray because we usually have June Gloom like that. I hope my little ones that need to are using their shelters.

The gardener that let me use her garden to hide my shelters is moving. She has already cleaned off her front door and thrown out her magazines, etc. I'm not sure how to handle it.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It fascinates and confuses me that my little cats seem to know when I am going to use the front door. Once, again, I went out by the front door and there they were -- nearly the whole group! I've tried to figure out how they pull that little trick, but I can't figure it out. Do they hear the elevator? No, not from the bench.

It was chilly, overcast and windy when I went out. The weather casters were calling it May Gray because we usually have June Gloom like that. I hope my little ones that need to are using their shelters.

The gardener that let me use her garden to hide my shelters is moving. She has already cleaned off her front door and thrown out her magazines, etc. I'm not sure how to handle it.

How does the garden thing work? Do people get their little plot to garden, or is there a hired gardener? If there is going to be a new gardener, I would bake cookies or something extra friendly to pave the way...