Cats of Colonia de las Rosas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you kluchetta! I love your encouraging posts!

Today was a good day. Everyone showed up. Unfortunately Mamie was still up on the rec bldg. I wish I would see her down just once very soon. It bothers me that she stays up there so much.

I talked to one of the gardners whose space I was going to use, but he said no. He's Vietnamese and he told me "too much poo-poo, I step in it." Understandable.

The plastic bag I put over the newspaper I used to insulate the top of the shelters, blew off on one. I was able to tuck it into the top and put the top back on.

I still need to move one of the shelters to the place where the first gardner said OK. I was going to do that tonight, but when I went out it was soooooo cold! I just fed them, changed the water and hurried back in.

Little Guy is missing my last foster so much. He stands by the front door and cries and cries. Tomorrow will be a week and he is still upset.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fooled my little ones tonight. I went through the back door instead of the front.

I've been concerned that someone might be annoyed by the cats waiting at the front door every night, so I confused them and went out the back door instead. Not as many people use the back door, so it seems a little "safer."

When I got to the feeding bench I called "kitty-cats, kitty-cats" and they all came running from the front door, very confused.

Everyone except Mamie showed up. I don't which is worse -- when she only sits on the rec bldg, or when she doesn't show up at all.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 10 Total

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today, around 5:30pm, I came home from an errand and was met by pretty Lady Day. She followed me to the building and the door was propped open so she came in. I got on the elevator and it made me sad to hear her meowing mournfully in the lobby.

Lady Day used to have an owner who lived in this building. When he got sick, his family took him to live with them, but they left Lady Day and his other cat, Blackie, behind. She clearly found herself in the building and wanted to go home. I would bring them in, but my cat, Graycie, just won't allow it. It was sad to hear her.

Tonight when I came back in from feeding the cats, one of my neighbors asked me about it. I had to explain the whole sad story to her.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, (maybe) Mamie*, Oscar, Red, Sneakers.

*I saw two cats on top of the rec bldg silhouetted against the sky, but I couldn't tell if one of them was Mamie or Sneakers. Sneakers came down to eat so I know she was there. One was Red.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
katie, your devotion to these kitties is so admirable. You are their blessing. At the same time you are educating the others in the building.

I love to read your updates. Tonight I am teary eyed for Lady Day.

I am sending lots of come down off the roof vibes for Mamie.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much kittymonster. The cats and I both appreciate your good vibes. Thank you.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SUPER TUESDAY

I'm in my 60s and I think this is the most exciting election of my life. As a lifelong Democrat I never thought I'd be in a position to choose between a woman and an African-American man at the polls.
It's such a long way from my segregated childhood in pre-Castro Miami.

Well, this thread isn't really about politics so I'll get back to the real subject -- my adorable kitty-cats.

They might be catching on to the back-door policy. They weren't waiting at the front door when I came out, but were all at the feeding bench instead. We don't get our joyous walk together, but as I explained, I think it's safer.

Sneakers didn't come tonight. Last night she didn't show up until I called and called for her, but tonight she didn't come even after I called. Mamie's still hanging out on the roof of the building. What is it with that?

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red.
10 Total

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My darlings are starting to catch on to the door switch. Slowly. Tonight Lady Day was at the back door. It makes sense that she would figure it out first because she makes her home under the stairs and generator that are next to the back door.

The other cats were at the bench, except Louie and Alfie, who came running from the front door. Sneakers, Red and Henry also came for different directions.

Mamie sighting on the ground

I walked all around the rec bldg, looking at the roof, and yelling down the storm drains. On my way back, there she was -- looking at me like, "I was right here, fool!" Then she did that little trick I always find so charming, the little duck and roll. She has a pretty white stripe down her tummy. I never knew that.

So I had a full house tonight.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamie on the ground and a duck and roll!!

Sounds like tonight was a very good night all the way around

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was! Thank you kittymonster!

They still haven't caught on that I'm not coming out the front door anymore. Tonight when I came out ALL of them were waiting at the front door. When I got to the feeding bench I called out, "kitty-cats, kitty-cats," and everyone came running.

Except Oscar, that is. After I poured out the food, I started taking roll and he wasn't there. Oscar never misses so I started calling him and then I saw he was still sitting in front of the front door! He finally heard me and came running on his long long legs

They're not the brightest cats, I guess. Good thing they're so cute!

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers 10 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties are creatures of habit! They were waiting by the front door again tonight, when I came out the back and approached the feeding bench. I called, "kitty-cats, kitty-cats," and they came running, Lady Day leading the pack. They have their heads bent down to the sidewalk before I even begin pouring. I usually end up pouring on Dude's head.

Tonight I went again to call for Sneakers, Red and Mamie. I saw Sneakers come, acting very sleepy, from the far side of the parking lot. She didn't seem to come from the storm drain. Maybe she sleeps under the stairs of Bldg. 3.

Red was there when I got back.

Then I took off for dinner out. When I got back, there was little Alfie on the sidewalk. While I was talking to him, I saw Josesito come jumping out of a tree. When I looked up, I saw a dark lump -- was that Mamie? Yep, I got closer to see and she turned her face to me and I could see the white marks on her delicate little face.

Everybody accounted for. Always a good feeling.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight they were all gathered at the feeding bench, but were looking toward the front door when I came out. Are they learning or did something just chase them from the front door?

Once again I had to call for Sneakers. When she didn't come, I decided to get a soda and some chips from across the street and hang out at the feeding bench for awhile. It worked, I saw her come around the rec bldg, although she must have nibbled at the kibble before I came back because she didn't come to eat. They are always so mysterious, these cats.

Mamie was on top of the rec bldg when I left, but when I got back she was on the sidewalk near the garden she likes -- the Vietnamese War Memorial -- as the gardener calls it. (He has a sign up: War Memorial). It was her love of that garden that made me want to put a shelter there. I wonder if she's the one that leaves the poo-poo?

As I sat waiting for Sneakers to show up, I had a nice conversation with Alfie. We shared chips -- and he came within two inches of my hand. I so wish I could bring him inside, but it is just impossible.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. Tonight isn't going to be that great. I just found out a few hours ago that a friend died last night. She had been sick (stomach cancer) for awhile but it is still such a loss. That's the worst part of getting older....all your friends are getting older, too.

I fed my little ones a bit early because I had errands to run. I only saw a few of them and by the time I got back they had scattered again.

I saw little Alfie in the daylight again, he has beautiful light green eyes. He is so pretty with his long shimmery coat.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Oscar, Red 7 Total.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight my little ones were waiting by the front door again. I wonder how long it's going to take for them to figure it out?

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I went out the back door tonight, I could see the silhouette of one cat sitting on the grass next to the sidewalk facing the front door. When I called "kitty-cats, kitty-cats" it turned out to be Sneakers. Then Dude was right there.

Finally the group in front of the front door came running. Louie-Louie was running so fast right to the feeding bench that he almost crashed into it! Little Alfie brought up the rear tonight.

My purpose in coming from the back door is to get them to quit crowding the front door every night. I'm worried someone might complain. They haven't caught on yet, though.

Everyone was there except Red and Mamie. I called for them, and sure enough Red came running from the parking lot. He's changed so much. He's not as afraid of the other cats even though he's still shares the bottom of the pecking order with Henry. Maybe having a partner has emboldened him. He is so adorable -- he even does the duck and roll I love so much.

I pour Henry's foot right at his feet and Red comes over to share it.

I looked for Mamie and there she was by the WAR MEMORIAL park that she loves so much. She let me talk to her for awhile. She's got the dignity of a wild animal.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers. 11 Total

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little progress at last. When I came out the back door tonight, I saw Dude on the feeding bench and Henry and Red stretched out very companionably on the sidewalk. Mamie was on top of the rec bldg looking down on us.

As soon as I greeted Dude, all the cats waiting at the front door came running. They look so cute racing for the bench, Louie swerving just before he crashes into it. Sneakers came dashing from the other direction -- where was she?

I got a Valentine's card from an former foster's owner today. She reports that Daisy is an angel, and loves watching the worker's painting the building. (From the window, of course!) Daisy was born in the garden, to Bonita. Josesito is her litter brother; Dude and Sneakers her brother and sister by another litter.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, kluchetta. I hope you and all your kitties had a good Valentine's Day, too.

Last night when I came out, my kitties were all hanging around the feeding bench, with Mamie and Sneakers on the roof of the rec bldg.

At first I thought they were waiting for me, but when I got close Henry let out a blood-curdling yowl. He was looking intently in one direction, so I looked too. There was a little black cat that I thought was Blackie. But....I was sure I'd seen him, I glanced toward the feeding bench and there were both my black cats Blackie and Oscar.

It was an intruder cat challenging my only intact male, Henry. All the other cats were probably watching the drama. My approach ended it. The intruder -- making a show of being very casual -- saundered out of the yard. It took Henry awhile to calm down.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Henry, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar, Red, Sneakers.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a doctor's appointment today. Then I had errands to run. I left the dog sized bowl full of food for my kitties before I left. As I was fumbling for my gate key, I was talking to a man who was waiting to get in and my kitties must have heard me. As soon as I walked in Blackie, Dude and Lady Day came running from nearby in the garden. The rest were by the feeding bench.

At least they weren't all parked at the front door being conspicuous.

I poured the food from the bowl to the usual places by the bench and then stood back to take roll. Only Henry, Sneakers, Mamie and Red were missing -- whoops! When I went to pick up the water bowl from under the bench out popped Mamie! Okay only three were missing.

Roll Call: Alfie, Blackie, Dude, Josesito, Lady Day, Louie, Mamie, Oscar. 8 Total.