Cats not getting on

tiamaria2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to the site, having looked around this forum is great for advice/support and sharing tips about our beloved Kitty's...

I am hoping I could get a little advice on a dilemma I have

I have a domestic mix spayed female cat who is 11 yrs old and is an outdoor cat, she's a notorious mouser and bird catcher so loves being out during summer months. She's not a confrontational cat, never one to pick a fight, she isn't a pushover but she likes an easy life.

I have recently brought into my home an Indoor  gorgeous,sweet 6 mnth old Ragdoll girly who is not spayed. I have had her for a couple of months now, she is like my shadow, always a real sticky beak, has to be involved in everything and is very confident in herself. She is adorable.

My problem is when my older cat comes into the house my ragdoll is obsessed with her, she runs after her round the house, tries to leap on her and generally wants to get close to her. My older cat is very aloof and hisses, swipes at her but my Raggy does not give up. I really don't think there is any aggression meant from my Raggy, I think she just wants to be 'friends' (for want of a better word to describe) As my Raggy seems to have to know the ins and outs of everything that's going on, she watches how things work and learns so quickly, (in fact I clicker train her because she is so intelligent).

If she would quit running after my older cat and quit leaping on her then the two cats would be fine...

I have two medium sized dogs and my Raggy has no fear, they all play together like she is a puppy and she regularly leaps at the dogs in play during her 'mad 5 mins'

I can only think to maybe use a dog crate to try to get them to adjust but my Raggy just meows loudly to get out so not much is achieved. 

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello @Tiamaria2015 and welcome to TCS. 

I think you're going to have to make sure that both your cats have 'safe places' to escape to, and especially the 11 year old.  Perhaps having 'high places' or separate areas where the older cat can relax in,and get away from the 6 month old kitten, when she wants to rest and sleep.

(My older cat needed to be away from the young ones, until the young ones learned to respect and leave him alone. However, he did have to hiss and swat at them a few times, and we had to separate the young ones if they were too persistent in pursuing him.)

If separate rooms do not work, for short periods of time-outs, then perhaps "harness training your cat" might help.  If your young cat is on harness, then you'd have more control as to when she tries to jump on top of your older cat.

I think in time, and when your Raggy gets spayed, that she will mellow out, and perhaps not be too rambunctious...but this may take a very, very long time. Kittens have loads of energy, in very short spurts of time, and may get too annoying for your older cat.

The third thing I would suggest is getting a second kitten, to take the attention away from your 11 year old, but that may, or may not be a good option, considering space, finances, time, etc.

It's so amazing that you are 'clicker training' your little one.  I would love to read a thread about how you manage to do that, and how the process is going.

If you do have the time, we'd love to see photos and names of your fur crew.  You can post  photos here, or in "New Cats on

the Block".

Here's some more cat pages that may be useful. The Articles section may have some info about how to best tire out a young kitten in play.

http://www.thecatsite.com/atype/45/Cat_Care

And this thread has a really great set-up for vertical spaces for cats.

I find the first photos give visual ideas of how to create separate cat space, plus a really neat play area, too.
[thread="297074"]Snick And Jaspers New Cat Wall Furniture  [/thread]
Good Luck.  And post as often as you like, ...because you are right....this site is great for getting more tips/advice/support for when our feline friends don't always co-operate. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
cat nap cat nap has given you some great advice already. The only thing I'd add is make sure you're giving Raggy plenty of interactive playtime every day. If you can drain her energy she'll be less likely to go after your 11 year old. I'm sure that it is only play, but your older girl clearly doesn't want to join in.[article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article]