cat's actively having kittens. help

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The doctor will likely charge you one office visit for the whole gang, if that helps any. You can call and check before you bring them in.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, diarrhea is a concern. I do suggest a vet visit for worming and possible antibiotics. Most vets will charge just one time for all. Please inquire. Has mom's diet changed at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom's diet has not changed at all. She eats and drinks like she normally does. She's still had some issues in the past month.

If everyone would just stay healthy for once month (my husband's blood pressure maybe causing kidney issues) that'd be fantastic.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get her to a vet? She needs meds and it should clear up.

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's my issue, I can't get her to the vet. We don't have the finances

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried feeding Mom pumpkin (plain - no spices added)?  It is a probiotic and will help with both diarrhea and constipation.

Here is a list of sources in case you need it.  There is a list of agencies at the bottom.   Not sure how long the process takes, probably varies depending on the agency.
[article="32915"]No Money For Vet Care How To Find Help And Save Your Cats Life  [/article]

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have tried the pumpkin thing. Overall, I thought it worked but then her bowels became loose again.

Thank you for that article.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you stop using the pumpkin once she cleared up?  Some people give to their cats every day.

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat/kitten update:

Lacey (mama) is much better now. She's on a gluten free/grain free food now. We have to avoid chicken too. Who knew.

The kittens are getting huge but for the love of all, they aren't litter box trained. We don't know what to do. We're going to try a new method this week. We have yet to try the crate method, but that's not too far away.

When we do re-home them, if they go to a family with no other animals, we want them to go in pairs so they aren't lonely/more destructive. We plan on keeping a kitten so mama isn't lonely.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
aylaw aylaw

Glad you got mom's diet sorted out!

Keeping a kitten for mom is wonderful. Is there one she favors?

And re-homing in pairs is always best, even if there are other pets.

Try closing the kittens in a bathroom for a day or two with just their food, water, and litter pan. Also, do you put them in the pan before and after meals, and at other times through the day? They need to be close to the box at this age too.

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They mess all around the box in the bathroom. We place them in there and let them to teach them it's not a punishment but they won't have it.

I'm going to go to Dollar Tree and get a disposable cookie sheet and put litter in it to see if that helps.

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What's the best way of homing these kittens? I plan on being super cautious about this process.

Of course, I'm asking trusted friends first.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Read this article for ideas:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/kittens-to-good-homes

And as you said, be very cautious. The best way to ensure the kittens get fixed is to spay & neuter before re-homing. Re-homing in pairs is always good too.

And they really need to stay with mom for 10-12 weeks. Longer is better! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They were ten weeks yesterday and going craaaazy. Our house is very exciting.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they all go to good homes? Which kitten did you keep for momma? How are they doing?