cat's actively having kittens. help

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do I do. Cat isn't in pain, at least not vocally. One is out but what the blerp do I do?! Please help. My husband is being her coach and soothing her, but... HELP

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Make sure you break the sac if she hasn't. The kitten needs to breathe. She should cut the cited, but if she won't you can...leave an inch between the kitten and where you break it. Take a warm towel and gently rub the kitten, this dries it and stimulates it. If mom will allow, try to let baby nurse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First kitten is out and in an inconvenient spot. It's crying for mama and mama is drinking water and wandering around the house. Cord has been detached

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pick kitten up. It's very important to get it warmed up if mom won't attend to it. Some mom's won't settle with the babies until they're finished delivering.

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Three beautiful kittens. Will post photo in the morning. Mom and babies are well. Kittens are noisy little things.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have mom in a secluded area with the babies? Can you keep her inside and away from intact makes until she can be spayed? She can get pregnant again within a week of delivery. And what are you feeding mom?

Would love to see photos!

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Sorry for delayed response. 

Kittens seem to be doing well today. I switched their bedding to something warmer and now mama is acting somewhat confused about them. They were getting so cold though. They're eating well, but I've not got a scale yet to weigh them (I know... I'm horrible at this).

Mama is eating a 9 Lives food that she seems to enjoy. Drinking lots of water as well.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can and should add a heating source if they are cold. An electric blanket under half the nest would work. So would a sock, filled with raw rice, and microwaved for five minutes. They do not regulate their own temperatures, regardless of blankets, for three weeks.

I am concerned that they are not getting enough time with mom if they are chilled. Highly, highly recommend you start weighing them today. If they do not get enough food, they will not survive.

How much and how often is mom eating? Kitten food would be best for the nutrients?

Do they have privacy from other animals?

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cold isn't a good thing at all, they should be warm to the touch. Also, crying isn't a good thing, as another user already said. How often is Mum with the babies? She should be with them for most of the time. Weigh them ASAP and start supplementing with KMR (Royal Canin) or goats milk. I agree that a rice-sock can be used, this provides heat for about 3-4 hours. Also you may want to keep Mum in a room until the kittens are weaned.

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom is eating and drinking when she isn't with them. She spends time with them for feeding and general care and then leaves the nest while the babies sleep. (she's currently perched near me)

There are no other animals in the home.

I will find my heating pad now.

Also, I realize I didn't update kittens. There's 5. She had number four shortly before 2 AM EST on 5/1, and number five came sometime after that.

This was the old bed.

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are warm to the touch; I was afraid the air conditioning from the two vents would cause them to get chilled - so kind of heading off the problem?

This is my first time with kittens. I thought she'd go in a closet or something. Not the living room. 

She initially had her first one in the hall in front of the bathroom.

We don't have a room for her to go in to keep her with them.

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She hasn't fed her babies in several hour :/

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Moved them to original box; she's going to them now. 

Weird females.

I'll just watch their temps from now on.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Add the heating source and definitely weigh them. They may need supplementing.

aylaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

They're a happy family now. (number five blends in with her front leg)

Thank you all for helping.