Cat With Missing/injured Eye. Need Vet Fort Worth, Tx Area

ladykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HELLP... a cat showed up on my doorstep that has either a completely missing eye or injured eye... it's hard to tell but I am pretty sure there is not much left there. It doesn't appear swollen and he lets me pet his face/head area and doesnt flinch away so I am assuming its mostly healed over maybe or he could have been born this way... I really dunno. I am not sure where to take him... i need a vet who won't cost a ton or may even be willing to give discounted services for him. His eye may need to be removed ... (but as I am no vet i have no idea for sure). Right now I have him separated from my cats off in a bathroom ... he is super friendly and we've already decided we're keeping him (we're calling him Oni :) )... but I hope i can get him help soon so he wont have to be all cooped up for too long. I can't afford much right now... about all i could afford for him is the office visit and neutering/shots ... beyond that i plan to start a crowdfund because several friends are willing to help out with him, but I will have to get an estimate from a vet to know how much to make the goal. I'm including some photos so you can see what i mean (hopefully ... its real hard to get pics as he is such a squirmy little busybody and when i try and hold his head still for pics he closes his eyelids lmao). Any suggestions for vets around Fort Worth/West of Fort Worth area in Texas??

View media item 421138View media item 421139View media item 421144View media item 421141View media item 421136View media item 421147View media item 421143View media item 421148View media item 421146View media item 421145View media item 421142View media item 421140

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please call around to vets in your area and see if they can help out. There are often low cost vets around as well.

Thank you for wanting to help him.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats who are each missing an eye, and, yep, that's what it looks like (my vet doesn't like to stitch the eyes shut; he says the drainage backs up). His socket doesn't look inflamed or infected, I don't think anything needs to be done with it. Your vet may recommend stitching it shut. . .but do know that it's not necessary, just cosmetic. So take him in for shots and neutering, the vet can give their opinion about his eye at that time, but tbh I think it looks fine and doesn't need any special care.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd just go for a general vet health check and see what they say. It doesn't look like it is weepy or infected from the photos. It likely is old and has healed on its own or, given how friendly he sounds, he is lost/abandoned and it was properly treated at the time of injury. Infections are fairly common in kittens and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he had it treated as a kitten so it is well healed.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can go on Facebook and search for cat rescue groups and ask them. Rescue people often know who the cheapest vets are. I'm glad you are going to keep him. He's lucky he found you.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a handsome looking kitty! I don't have any good advice, but I loved his photos. He looks like he has a big personality. I know that he's missing an eye and that you are looking for help, but I love the hilarious photo efforts of trying to take a clinical picture of a rambunctious pus. Sounds like he will be a great addition to your family!