Cat with hairballs, possible allergies, and possible IBD - but most certainly hairballs.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally would try the SEB by itself and see how it goes.  The amount of fiber is a trial and error thing and there are issues with too much fiber as well.  Give the SEB by itself a few days and see how it goes.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with @Denice.

Besides the risk of too much fiber between the psyllium and SEB, when you are administering two different things that potentially address the same issue, it can be hard to know which one is doing the job. This is why it is important to try things one at a time, and give each supplement a good amount of time to work. You should see within 24-48 hours whether the SEB is having an impact. Yes, it can work this fast

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do have a concern that the SEB may not be enough bulk - Obi's stools were much improved with the metameucil...any thoughts?
I'm not sure what you mean by "improved" in terms of bulk. Cats naturally have stools that are not bulky at all. This is why when treating megacolon, a low fiber, low residue diet is most effective. Cats naturally have almost no fiber at all in their diet. They should have to "push" a little bit to pass stool, and this, with stools that give but are quite firm, keeps their anal glands healthy.

I suggest you open this link, and forget reading stuff - just quickly scroll through it to find the 2 pictures of cat stool. The first one indicates just how dry and crumbly it *should* be, and the 2nd has one scoop that shows normal stool (homemade food) on one side, and the volume of commercial diet stool on the other side. I realize you're feeding commercial - but if you believe it should be even bulkier, I'm concerned. http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LDG, thank you so much for this informative link!  Mittens' stools look like that; and, dont smell much as a general rule.  Obi's- well, that is another story.  So I have learned several things here today.   My goals should really not  concern the size of the stool - small stools are better, as are dry stools.  I never knew this.

I am interested in the toothbrush in the article - anyone know what this is called?  Ill want one of those.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, it's safer to "brush" their teeth with gauze! If they DO have gingivitis, their gums can be very sensitive, and even a baby brush can be too rough. Gauze is much safer and gentler. There are also "finger ends" with very soft little "prickles" on them - just slip it over your index finger to brush. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OH, great idea.  You guys are a wealth of knowledge.  Why should that surprise me?? you all love CATS!!