Cat with hairballs, possible allergies, and possible IBD - but most certainly hairballs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You have all been so helpful.  This morning I fed Obi a smaller breakfast just to be sure he keeps it down, the rabbit formula.  Both my cats LOVE this.  I did give some metameucil, and I mixed it with water as Abby suggested, thank, you, Abby, but I had not read these other replies yet.  The Vet's Best formula says to break it in  pieces and that the cats will love it; but, if I am using that remedy, wouldnt it be better to make it into a fine powder and sprinkle it on the food?  The only reason I did not try the vets formula this morning was that I was not sure it was a factor in the vomiting, and I am hoping to get my consult with Cornell move to today...instead of Friday.  It is very frustrating that veterinarians seem to know so little about nutrition and digestive issues.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many vets are at a loss when it comes to treating chronic digestive issues in kitties.  I did the vet hopping thing looking for help with my kitty.  I think there is a tendency to think in stereotypes, kitties are sometimes 'sensitive' and they just have digestive issues, kitties get hairballs nothing can be done about it, and kitties have nine lives they will be okay.  For a long time there was very little vet care for kitties past neutering and shots.  That's beginning to change but it is daunting trying to find good vet care for these issues.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is indeed.  Even the food companies dont seem to really know what to do, or feel comfortable advising.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww, thank you!

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
for those who use EYL:  did you see immediate improvement, or did it take a while?  I started both my cats at 1/2 capsule of the Swansons about a week ago, and am thinking of doubling that amount.    I just cannot get this hairball problem under control!  

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did this a year ago; for the first time in her life, Ritz had a hairball problem, not huge, but new for her (and me). I discontinued EYL after about two or three months because the she ceased having an issue. If I remember accurately, I think it took a little while (a week or two) before I noticed an improvement.
Fast forward to right now, and Ritz seems to be shedding a lot. I've been giving her quail eggs about three times a week for about two weeks, mainly for the vitamins and minerals not easily consumed in a prey model raw diet. Be interesting to see if she had a hairball problem again this year.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Egg yolk lecithin only helps emulsify fat in the diet, so it doesn't work right away. It is the yolks themselves that help with motility. If Obi has a chicken allergy, see if you can source duck eggs or quail eggs. I don't have access to quail eggs, but duck eggs are available at farmer's markets and the health food store here.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
HOw long does it take?? Obi is throwing up MORE hairballs since the EYL.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@myrnafaye: Have you tried Slippery Elm Bark syrup? Slippery Elm is a natural herb that is typically used for diarrhea and constipation and in some cases IBD, and so indirectly may help with hairballs due to the coating action of the Slippery Elm on the intestinal tract.

Slippery Elm Bark is a source of fiber that works by lubricating the lining of the intestinal tract and may help with a smoother transition of hair, rather than it getting stuck causing Obi to vomit the hairballs back up. If the hairballs are due to gastritis, colitis, or other inflammatory bowel problems, the SEB can be helpful to soothe and relieve these inflammatory conditions as well as help to prevent nausea. You can purchase Slippery Elm from a health or whole foods store, preferably in bulk form and with this you would make a syrup which you add a small amount to wet food each day. When you prepare the syrup it should have the consistency of jelly. Just be sure to look for SEB that doesn't contain magnesium stearate, as this prevents the SEB from jelling when making the syrup.

Slippery Elm Syrup recipe

1 tsp Slippery Elm powder

1/2 cup cold water

Place water in pot and stir powder with a whisk to combine before cooking. Cook on medium heat until liquid begins to thicken. About 5-10 minutes. Let liquid cool and place in glass jar. Liquid will last up to 7 days in the fridge. Give 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of SEB mixed into morning wet meal. If your cat is receiving medications, give these at a separate time from the SEB. About two hours should do it.

Last edited:

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, what is?  the eyl or slippery elm??

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The slippery elm, sorry! I know many, many, many people using it for IBD kitties instead of pepcid and other medications. If you keep Obi on any meds, the slippery elm needs to be given 2 hours before or after any of them. Most people I know either give it twice a day, or about 45 minutes before a meal. Some cats will just eat it, others have to syringe it. When we used it for Chumley, I mixed it into two meals a day. When any of my cats are nauseous or off their food, I use it in a syringe.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, that should not be a problem.  I can give pepcid two hours after.  My vet and I decided to up Obi's pred to 5 mg at night for a bit also, so I can give the SLB in the AM.  the rest are supplements; EYL, and a probiotic...if I dont have an improvement, I guess the next step would be ultrasound.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, that should not be a problem.  I can give pepcid two hours after.  My vet and I decided to up Obi's pred to 5 mg at night for a bit also, so I can give the SLB in the AM.  the rest are supplements; EYL, and a probiotic...if I dont have an improvement, I guess the next step would be ultrasound.
Slippery Elm has many benefits including alleviating nausea and controlling acid reflux due to the coating action of SEB. As you are now administering SEB, you shouldn't really need to administer the Pepcid as well. 

Dr. Jean Hovfre, DVM, authors a site called Little BIg Cat. She has a page dedicated to Slippery Elm. Here is an excerpt on the effectiveness of SEB for gastric issues and inflammation of the intestinal tract :

In the gastro-intestinal tract, Slippery Elm acts directly. It can be thought of as a sort of natural  “Pepto-Bismol.” (Pepto-Bismol itself should not be used because it contains salicylate, a.k.a. aspirin). Its mucilage content coats, soothes, and lubricates the mucus membranes lining the digestive tract. Slippery Elm is an excellent treatment for ulcers, gastritis, colitis, and other inflammatory bowel problems. It is high in fiber, and so helps normalize intestinal action; it can be used to relieve both diarrhea and constipation. It may also help alleviate nausea and vomiting in pets suffering from non-GI illnesses, such as kidney disease. A syrup made from Slippery Elm Bark can be used to help heal mouth ulcers from all causes.

Slippery Elm is said to relieve inflammation of virtually any mucus membrane, and has been used in the treatment of inflammatory conditions of the lungs (bronchitis, asthma), kidneys, bladder (cystitis, FLUTD symptoms), throat (tonsillitis), and joints (arthritis).

Full article here : http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/slippery-elm/

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow.  I have known about sllippery elm forever, esp. as a treatment for sore throats in humans.  I have personally never used it, but next time I indeed will.  I  never realized it had so many uses; wish I had know this when I had my baby Kiku, who had chronic, severe asthma.   Poor baby, I lost him in the late 90's, way before there was this kind of information on the internet, the internet was just starting, and was cumbersome.

This morning, Obi did really well.  He was haranging me for breakfast at 6:00, ate well and did not throw up anything
But, my vet wants me to increase  his pred to 5 mg. I guess it will not hurt to do this for a week or 2.  I would like him OFF that stuff, or just a small amount every other day...

Is there a reason the SLB syrup cannot be made in larger quantities and kept in the fridge?  does it lose its potency, so has to be made weekly?

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow.  I have known about sllippery elm forever, esp. as a treatment for sore throats in humans.  I have personally never used it, but next time I indeed will.  I  never realized it had so many uses; wish I had know this when I had my baby Kiku, who had chronic, severe asthma.   Poor baby, I lost him in the late 90's, way before there was this kind of information on the internet, the internet was just starting, and was cumbersome.

This morning, Obi did really well.  He was haranging me for breakfast at 6:00, ate well and did not throw up anything
But, my vet wants me to increase  his pred to 5 mg. I guess it will not hurt to do this for a week or 2.  I would like him OFF that stuff, or just a small amount every other day...

Is there a reason the SLB syrup cannot be made in larger quantities and kept in the fridge?  does it lose its potency, so has to be made weekly?
Yes, SEB is quite a wonder herb that has helped so many kitties and is also good for us humans

Great to hear that Obi is having a good day so far. Fingers crossed that this continues.

Yeah, it would be nice not to have to do the Pred. As the information suggests, SEB can be effective in alleviating inflammation but in doing the Pred you may never know if SEB is helping in this way. Unless Obi continues to vomit which we are hoping he won't with the introduction of the SEB, I would negotiate with your vet and keep the period of Pred to one week at the increased dosage and then start thinking about a weaning process if he is doing well.

Re. larger batches of SEB .. If you have made the 1/2 cup of syrup from the recipe, this is plenty as you will likely not use it all in a week. Like anything else that is natural, SEB will have a best by date and the suggestion is 7 days in the fridge.

Last edited:

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would like to negotiate that with my vet, b ut I am going away for a few days the weekend after next, leaving my husband in charge, and as we are relative newlyweds, I am concerned that he wont pay enough attention as a 40 year cat veteran like myself.  What I can do is see how he does at t he higher dose for a few days, and re-evaluate mid week.  Or, I can email him and see if he thinks we can see how Obi does at the current dose, adding in the slippery elm.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I would like to negotiate that with my vet, b ut I am going away for a few days the weekend after next, leaving my husband in charge, and as we are relative newlyweds, I am concerned that he wont pay enough attention as a 40 year cat veteran like myself.  What I can do is see how he does at t he higher dose for a few days, and re-evaluate mid week.  Or, I can email him and see if he thinks we can see how Obi does at the current dose, adding in the slippery elm.
Yes. Staying at the current dose would be a good plan as well, to give the SEB a chance. Congrats on the recent nuptials

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do have a concern that the SEB may not be enough bulk - Obi's stools were much improved with the metameucil...any thoughts?