Cat Tree For Fat Cats

Rachael3807

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't really know what section to post this, but does anyone know where you can get cat trees for fat cats, I can only seem to find kitten ones or ones for skinny adults at best. My cats are both ragdolls, one is skinny, but the other one is a big boy.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! I’m glad to hear that you’re looking into getting a cat tree! Those are so much fun for cats to climb and hide in. The most important thing, with large cats especially, is that the tree has a big, solid base, to prevent the tree from tipping over.

Here’s an older thread that gives some advice about specific models: Recommendations for cat trees for LARGE cats?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We recently purchased a cat tree for our big guy, he's not fat but definitely good sized. We weren't sure if he would like the tree or not but he's absolutely in love with it. :redheartpump: I would highly recommend one for your boy. Here's an Article to help give you some ideas: Cat Trees: 12 Designs That Will Make You Go "wow!"

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat isn't fat, but she is 12+ pounds and NOT graceful. The only tree that works for her is floor to ceiling, with a portion on the top that adjusts so you can have it tight against the ceiling, keeping it stable. I wish I could give you a link but the tree was a gift from a relative who bought it for her own cats and didn't end up using it. She got an awesome wood one from a cat show instead, which I also highly recommend if you can find one.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
My cat isn't fat, but she is 12+ pounds and NOT graceful. The only tree that works for her is floor to ceiling, with a portion on the top that adjusts so you can have it tight against the ceiling, keeping it stable. I wish I could give you a link but the tree was a gift from a relative who bought it for her own cats and didn't end up using it. She got an awesome wood one from a cat show instead, which I also highly recommend if you can find one.
Good thinking about the cat show trees. I’ve found that the furniture sold at cat shows is higher quality, more durable, and the same price as, or even less expensive, than what is sold at pet supply stores. My Charlie uses a scratching post heavily (but doesn’t scratch anywhere else, fortunately). The scratchers I bought from the store lasted him about 6 months before the rope started coming off. The scratcher I bought him from a cat show has lasted a year, even though he’s using it just as frequently, and doesn’t show signs of wearing out soon. I’d assume the cat trees are of the same quality. They seem to be very sturdily built, with a wide base.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She got an awesome wood one from a cat show instead, which I also highly recommend if you can find one.
Funny you should mention that, we saw our recent cat tree purchase at a CFA cat show less than two weeks ago. I will send you a message with the info. if you like since the cat furniture maker ships anywhere in the U.S. Do you live in the country?

ETA: he will custom make any cat tree especially for people with special needs cats.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Funny you should mention that, we saw our recent cat tree purchase at a CFA cat show less than two weeks ago. I will send you a message with the info. if you like since the cat furniture maker ships anywhere in the U.S. Do you live in the country?

ETA: he will custom make any cat tree especially for people with special needs cats.
I could never afford the trees at cat shows (broke college student) but someday I hope to! If my kitty lives until the time I have a decent income maybe I can get one made with lots of levels and small jumps that will be good for her achy hips.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I could never afford the trees at cat shows (broke college student) but someday I hope to! If my kitty lives until the time I have a decent income maybe I can get one made with lots of levels and small jumps that will be good for her achy hips.
I'm not a broke college student but rather a broke mother of a college/grad school student. :wink: I completely understand your situation. We have wanted to purchase a cat tree for so long and, as you said, the ones at the cat shows have excellent workmanship. The furniture maker we went with uses wood, good quality carpet, no glue or toxins, even the carpet is not glued down. I'm sure once you graduate, pay off your school loans and have a regular income you can look into a well constructed cat tree for your kitty. Until then, best of luck with your kitty's achy hips. :hugs:

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not a broke college student but rather a broke mother of a college/grad school student. :wink: I completely understand your situation. We have wanted to purchase a cat tree for so long and, as you said, the ones at the cat shows have excellent workmanship. The furniture maker we went with uses wood, good quality carpet, no glue or toxins, even the carpet is not glued down. I'm sure once you graduate, pay off your school loans and have a regular income you can look into a well constructed cat tree for your kitty. Until then, best of luck with your kitty's achy hips. :hugs:
The ones at the cat show I went to were made of solid branches (the manzanita were the coolest) so they all had such an interesting shape. The platforms and huts were all pine and cedar, which made them smell amazing! They didn't have any carpet on them but my aunt's lucky kitties don't seem to mind.
Thus far I've managed to avoid loans by taking everything possible at community college before transferring and choosing my second choice (significantly cheaper) university. My rule is if I can't afford it, I can't have it. My family can't help pay for school so I have to be careful with money. Grad school might force me to take out loans at some point though, which I'm not thrilled about:(