the cat collar doesn't affect her becuase she been itching her
neck a lot lately not that much though but im scared it might
have spread towards her

Thank you

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Positive. The problem with the collars is that they hold poison constantly next to the skin. Did you notice that the instructions said to wash your hands after handling? That's a clue to the danger.

The collar would probably not irritate the cat's skin (except for the minor irritation that any other collar would cause). What it would have done is poison her. It didn't do that because you got it off of her almost immediately. The irritation she has now is almost certainly caused by fleas.

Has she been more irritated since the collar incident? Try to think back. Isn't this exactly the kind of thing that made you check her for fleas in the first place?

If you're still worried, go back to your original plan of getting the drops and applying them between her shoulder blades the way the instructions tell you. Then wash your hands, because these, also, are poison. The difference is that they aren't being held against her skin the way the flea collar would do, so they're safer for the cat. Once you've gotten the flea infestation taken care of she should be much more comfortable, and the continual scratching should stop.

The reason she's primarily scratching where the flea collar was is that that's the easiest spot for her to reach in order to scratch, not because that's where she's most irritated. (This is another reason that the collar is more dangerous than drops -- if she scratches at the collar she'll get poison, or poisonous bits of collar, in her claws and on her hind paws, where she'll swallow it when she bathes herself. Remember that the reason the drops go between her shoulder blades is that she can't bathe there? That helps to keep the poison from getting into her instead of into the fleas where it belongs.)

Margret

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catgirl28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Margaret
yes it did say wash your hands after handeling the collar
and the cat started to itchy herself more after I took off
the collar, I didnt know if she had fleas or not I just put it on
her becuase I thought ig will protect her and for any other bugs on her
because she is a outdoor

Thank you

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, if she was scratching more after the flea collar, it was because she doesn't like a collar. Cats don't. I wouldn't either. So now, when she itches because of the fleas, she associates irritation with the collar. Even so, the thing that's making her feel itchy is fleas, not a short exposure to the flea collar.

YOU DID NOTHING WRONG, AND YOU HAVE NOT ENDANGERED THIS CAT IN ANY WAY. You made one mistake (which, if I understood your original post, was really your sister's mistake), then you looked it up online, caught the mistake immediately, and corrected it. You've been taking much better care of this cat than her owners; of course you're worried about her. In all but name, she's your cat.

It's time for a life lesson. I visited my mother late last year (she lives half a continent away from me), and we did a lot of talking. My mother was an incredibly good mother. One of the things we talked about was something bad that a teacher did to me when I was in eighth grade, um, 14 years old. Not rape or anything like that; he made fun of me in front of the whole school. It was uncalled for and hurtful, and I was an incredibly shy adolescent. It was totally unacceptable behavior from a teacher. And my 96 year old mother still remembers me coming home from school in tears because of it, and still blames, not the teacher, but herself, because she didn't go to the school and tell the teacher what she thought of him.

So:
1) My mother was a very good mother.
2) She's right. She should have confronted the teacher.
3) She's wrong to blame herself for it.
4) Even the best of us make mistakes. That's what it means to be human.

You made one mistake, which you corrected immediately, and now you're intent on blaming yourself for it. Part of this is because you're worried about this cat, and you want to care for her, but you're aware that there's only so much you can do because you don't own her. Feeling guilty about this one very tiny mistake may be a way to make you feel that you're more in control of the situation than you really are. I understand this perfectly well. It's one of the major reasons rape victims frequently blame themselves for the attack. But it's still the responsibility of the rest of us to challenge this kind of undeserved guilt.

Margret

catgirl28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Margret you made me realise that It is my mistake but its
a tiny one and its been weeks since I took it of of her
thank you soooooooooooooo much you have helped me way better
than anyone else ever could I really appreciate all your help
thank you sooooo much again and all your information about cats
was really use fully

Btw I really want to be vet or vet nurse and you have encouraged
me somehow even more

Thank you margret soooo much

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any time. I'm good at telling other people where they've gone wrong, much less good at figuring out where I've gone wrong, unfortunately. Although it does seem to get a bit better after 60. Problem is, it would be most useful in your teens and twenties. One of the vicissitudes of life -- the main reason you need experience is to avoid the experiences that provide you with the experience you need.

I'm glad this encourages you to become a vet or a vet nurse; we need all the good vets we can get, and I think you'll make a good one.

Suggestion: Get all the math and science courses you can, not just biology -- chemistry and physics, too. And be prepared to discover that it's actually harder to become a vet than a doctor -- vets have to be prepared to treat numerous species, not just one, and their patients can't talk. I once read a book about what to do if you encounter an alien space ship that has crashed. If there are any alien injuries, you should call a vet, not an M.D., because the vet is used to treating other species and therefore has a better chance of figuring out correctly how to treat the alien. So far, the book has proven to be pretty useless.

Margret

catgirl28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you margret yeah I know its a hard thing
to acheive GCSE of science especially maths becuase
im extremely bad at it

btw if the cat goes on beds like germs
is it dangerous thank you

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of people are "bad" at mathematics because they got stuck on the multiplication tables. They get the idea that mathematics is all memorization, when it's really about understanding how it works. You can get by without knowing the multiplication tables (I did for years), but you can't get by without understanding how it works.

Let me guess -- you hate word problems, right? I know because virtually everyone does. There's a whole branch of mathematics that was invented just to make word problems easy. It's called "Algebra." If you go at it just looking for tricks to make word problems easy, you'll start understanding it in no time. Forget about memorizing in math courses. The only things you need to memorize for math is the terminology, so that you know what's being talked about; words are important. Try that approach for a bit. If that doesn't fix it, send me a private message and I'll give you my personal email address and see what I can do to help.

If a cat has fleas and is lounging and sleeping in your home, yes. They can spread fleas to you and your house. And fleas can be more dangerous than simple germs. There is good evidence that children are more likely to develop allergies, even asthma, if their environment is too clean. But the kind of germs that fleas can carry -- well, I'm sure you've heard of the black death? There was a plausible belief at the time that it would wipe out all human life.

Now, it's extremely unlikely that the fleas your cat is infested with carry bubonic plague, but you still don't want them in your house. Luckily, there's an easy answer. Fleas hate lavender. Get some lavender scented candles (with your parents' permission) and burn them for a bit before letting the cat in. Wear lavender perfume, or use lavender scented soap. See if you can plant some lavender in your yard. But before you do any of this make sure that your parents don't object to their home smelling all flowery.

Margret

catgirl28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi margret
thank you I dont like maths and maths dont like me
its no biggy , I work it out in school and will do lots of revision
okay I was just asking becuase she does jump us on the beds and
I quickly get her down becuase I think like she an outdoor
cat so it might be a bit germs

Thank you

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seriously, she doesn't have germs that you need to worry about.

She does, apparently, have fleas, and you do need to worry about those. You were planning to treat her for those anyway, for her own comfort; do so, but until that has a chance to work do what you have to to protect yourself and your home.

You've seen how the fleas make her itch? They'll do the same to you, and your family, if you don't guard against them. How do you think your parents would react to that? If it were me, I'd ban the cat from the house for good. It's much easier to prevent fleas than to get rid of them. So prevent them.

Trust me on this, also. You may not like maths, but maths don't dislike you. Maths don't have any feelings at all. A lot of teachers of young children, however, dislike maths themselves, and pass that dislike on to their students. This does a great disservice to their students, and the teachers probably never even realize it.

If you're going to go into any kind of medical field, you're going to need maths, and it will be much easier for you if you learn to see the beauty of them. Or even just to enjoy them as fun puzzles, which they are, or can be. Have you ever been to the British Museum? I was there in, um, 1996 or 1997. They had a gorgeous display of polyhedra (look it up, or look up "polyhedron," which is the singular). Solid geometry. Have you seen any of Escher's pictures? Most of them involve tessellations, yet another branch of geometry. Have you ever played with a Tangram? Look up "Cundy and Rollett's egg" online. It's also geometry, and a good toy, and better, prettier, than Tangrams, though similar in concept. Look up the golden ratio online. Then look up Fibonacci numbers, which are related to the golden ratio in surprising ways, and which keep showing up in nature. And, if you ever have the chance, watch "Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land." (By now, it may be available on YouTube, for all I know.) Mathematics is all around you. It is the language of science, and is at the basis of life. You don't like it? No. If you don't like it, it's because you don't know it. It would be like me saying that I don't like John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt, when I've never even met the poor man.

Margret

P.S. i just checked. It is, in fact, on YouTube:

Last edited:

catgirl28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But how can I keep her away from my house
she comes even in the night standing on the
ledge of the side of the brick and I cant do thag now
And I guess I should really look at maths

Thanks margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't keep her away from your house. You can keep her out of your house, and if I were your mother I would insist that you do so, until such time as her fleas are gone.

What have your parents said about all this? Obviously they must know how much you care about this cat, unless you've been petting her and playing with her in secret. You haven't been doing that, have you? Keeping secrets from your parents is a bad habit for a girl your age to get into. Your parents can't help you if they don't know what's important in your life. I'm not accusing you, just asking.

Yes, if you want to go into any medical field you will need mathematics. All I'm doing is giving you hints about ways to make it easier for yourself. Really and truly I think you should start with "Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land." It has quite a lot about both the beauty of maths and the way it's involved in everyday life.

Margret

catgirl28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi margret no its nothing like that I do pet
her but is that a problem I dont keep secret from my
parents but I didnt tell them about fleas becuase they
wont let me see her anymore and I dont want her starving
also you know the cat she not eating all her foood
what could be the reason

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, if she isn't eating everything you give her it's because she's not that hungry. I'm sure there's plenty of small game in your area; she's been feeding herself for a long time. I don't recall you saying that she was so skinny you could see her ribs, was she? If not, she wasn't starving before you met her. The food you give her is more a way to tell her you love her, not a necessary part of her diet.

I've never encountered a starving cat, thank goodness, but I don't recall that a lot of itching is a sign of starvation.

Have you been getting little red dots on your skin that you want to scratch? If so, you're being bitten by fleas. If they're all on your arms and hands you're just being bitten when you pet her. If they're all over your body, you're infested, and most likely your home is, too.

I really think you need to talk to your mother about this. Tell her how much you love the cat, and tell her about the flea collar incident, and what you did, and what you found out. Ask her to get you some of the flea and tick drops for the cat (offer to pay for them yourself), and ask her to help you apply them. This may result in her telling you that you have to stay away from the cat for a few days, but I seriously doubt that she'll bar you from ever petting the cat again. (Of course, I don't know your mother, and you do. Do you think I'm wrong about this?) The four major things this will do are to tell your mother that you know how to behave responsibly, to tell her that you trust her to help you, it will make your cat more comfortable, and it's a way to let your folks know that you want to be a vet someday, because they need to start saving up for college for you if they haven't begun to already.

Choose the right time for this conversation. When your mother comes home from work feeling all frazzled because her boss has been on her back about something, for instance, would be a bad time. A weekend might be good, preferably after your mother has had a good week at work. Also, make sure you pick a time when she has plenty of time available for you, because this may lead to a very long conversation.

Margret

Last edited:

catgirl28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you margret no I dont think she was strarving
I cant see her ribs and you know the cat if the fleas went on
my hand can I see it like is it visable every time
I pet the cat I look at my hand for a black insect and theirs
non even though she itching a bit also she has a part of her ear
where its like off the fur is a little off not the skin what can
that be no I dont have any ichyness so far no red dots thank god you know the
cat flea drops how many days do you put it on wasn't it a few weeks
u said days and and in england you dknt need to pay for college
you neecdto pay for university my mum wont mind about the drops
and I will pay so its fine but I dont know?????

Thanxs

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fleas are very tiny, black, hopping insects. Yes, you should be able to see them, but don't expect them to sit still while you look for them.

If you don't have little itchy red dots, you haven't been bitten and don't have fleas yourself, and if your house were infested you would have been bitten. That's the good news.

The bad news (for you, not me) is that I've never had to use the drops, so I don't know how long they need to take effect. I believe that you apply them once every three months, but I'm not even certain about that. You should be able to find more information elsewhere on this site.

The bald spot on the cat's ear could be just about anything. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that she's rubbed the fur off in an attempt to scratch the itch.

The other bad news is that becoming a vet does require a post-graduate degree, in fact, i'm pretty sure it requires a doctorate. So, yes, your parents do need to start saving for it. And you need to be working very hard on your grades. It will take good grades to get into a good school, and if they're good enough you may qualify for a scholarship.

Margret

catgirl28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you margret I got a tick and flea drops
but I dont wanna put it on her becuase its the same company as
the collar and I dont want to take any risk

I even look at the cats blanket and theirs nothing
on their no black tiny insectsthe drops k got say she be protected for
4 weeks .yes I will try very hard on my grades

Thnxz margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) It isn't the company that makes it that determines whether it's dangerous. Flea and tick collars are dangerous to a cat, the drops are not. They're all poison; that's why they work.

2) If she doesn't have fleas then there's no point using something that kills fleas on her, and we have no idea why she's scratching so much. I'm sorry, but she needs to see a vet.

I'm glad to hear that you're planning to work on your grades. If you have too much trouble, or if you just can't get along with some of your teachers, ask your folks about getting a bit of private tutoring. A good tutor can make a world of difference, and it doesn't have to be expensive.

Margret

catgirl28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thankyou margret I also wish to see a
vet but I feel like they will point
lots of negatives out and I dont think my
parents will let me the cat was with me
she was sitting on her owners window ledge
it was 10clock at night outside in the rain My mum