Cat that doesn't like EVO!!! Help!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misskiwi67

No, when I switch foods I measure it out and switch 1:3, 1:1, 3:1 for about a week at a time. The kitties didn't have a problem with the EVO until they were a month into the switch and had been eating 100% EVO for a week. Both of them had explosive diarrhea within that week. Angel has done a little bit better with some of the foods, but Satin gets diarrhea on every food except the prescription Hills. Both cats look incredible, and I really don't see any advantage to the "better" foods when they don't give good results.

I also find it interesting that Iams and Meow mix are acceptable but Purina is not?
It's an ingredients thing. The only reason I feed Meow Mix pouches is to add something a little less expensive to the food rotation and for the price, the ingredients are decent. It has no by-products (or some have named-byproducts, which are ok), I buy the wheat-gluten free flavors, and the first couple of ingredients are meat/fish. Meow Mix isn't something I would feed regularly because it is so high in fish.

I haven't looked at an Iams ingredient list lately, so I can't comment on Iams. I just know that Iams does animal testing.

If you want to feed Purina, that's fine, but don't be surprised when people don't have high opinions of it.

The original poster in this thread was just asking for alternatives to EVO for a picky eater. Purina is not in the same category as EVO, no matter how much you love it. Many people DO see results from "better" foods and have fewer health problems and nicer coats with their cats because of them.

This is pretty much off topic also, but have you tried feeding canned pumpkin for the diarreah?

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

I haven't looked at an Iams ingredient list lately, so I can't comment on Iams. I just know that Iams does animal testing.
No they don't. Check the label, they don't even do AAFCO feeding trials anymore.

If you want to feed Purina, that's fine, but don't be surprised when people don't have high opinions of it.
I think purina DOG food is excellent, and the company as a whole is impressive when it comes to many types of feed products. I just found it funny that a food I would cringe at (meow mix DRY) is recommended over what I consider a better company. Meow mix is considered kitty mcdonalds at every clinic I've ever worked for. I did not realize the poster was speaking of canned foods, which are obviously an entirely different category.

I have a very high opinion of the canned cat foods, but alas the dry was one of many failures for my own kitties.

This is pretty much off topic also, but have you tried feeding canned pumpkin for the diarreah?
Canned pumpkin would only turn the "better" food into a food high in fiber... which is what their prescription diet does, AND I'd have to convince them to eat it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No they don't. Check the label, they don't even do AAFCO feeding trials anymore.

I think purina DOG food is excellent, and the company as a whole is impressive when it comes to many types of feed products. I just found it funny that a food I would cringe at (meow mix DRY) is recommended over what I consider a better company. Meow mix is considered kitty mcdonalds at every clinic I've ever worked for. I did not realize the poster was speaking of canned foods, which are obviously an entirely different category.

I have a very high opinion of the canned cat foods, but alas the dry was one of many failures for my own kitties.

Canned pumpkin would only turn the "better" food into a food high in fiber... which is what their prescription diet does, AND I'd have to convince them to eat it.
YOU really need to check FACTS.... lol

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(for drys) My two are eating EVO and California Natural right now. CN is about half the price of EVO. Seb ate, but didn't care for, Chicken Soup. The both liked the taste of the regular Natural Balance but turns out Daphne has an allergy to some type of grain in it.

For wet - Daphne won't touch anything that isn't kitty kibble food, no wet at all

Seb likes Fancy Feast and several pouches. Since Meow Mix pouches are so heavy in fish, I don't feed those any longer. I really wish he would learn to like something a bit healthier but as long as his dry is decent I can live with the FF.

I do notice that they both eat a lot less of the EVO than they did of the others. It seems to fill them up better.

Good luck!

just1cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't find a cat food to save my A$$ that our new cat likes. Just one food so far and thats Iams, wet...chicken flavor. I want to give her dry in her diet but she won't eat anything I have tried. I've spent 45 dollars in less than 2 weeks on dry food.

I buy dry food that lists a true meat as the first ingridient, not some wheat or by product, but its not working. I think she has an allergy so I'm being picky with foods.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by just1cat

I can't find a cat food to save my A$$ that our new cat likes. Just one food so far and thats Iams, wet...chicken flavor. I want to give her dry in her diet but she won't eat anything I have tried. I've spent 45 dollars in less than 2 weeks on dry food.

I buy dry food that lists a true meat as the first ingridient, not some wheat or by product, but its not working. I think she has an allergy so I'm being picky with foods.
Have you tried Orijen? I know they have sample sized packs in my local pet store and wondered if you could get a sample at your pet store.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did EVO for a while when it was just Ping here and while he loved it I had to switch. Not for money reasons but because my 4 year old son kept eating it no matter where I put the food (this was the dry). So since June I have been feeding him (and now Pong) Timber Wolf organics. Its a grain free dry and they love it. I buy it online through the company. Shipping is free but you have spend at least 20.00. I bought a 16lb bag for 30 something and it lasted a long long time.

For wet Ihave to switch that around because the cats get bored. My rotating food or meow mix, fancy feast and eagle pack. Eagle pack does have some grain free but mostly a lower in grain food. And they use grains like oatmeal and barley.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

YOU really need to check FACTS.... lol
Then what are the facts oh great one?? You keep telling me I'm wrong, but won't educate me...

PM me if necessary, but this is getting seriously old.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Then what are the facts oh great one?? You keep telling me I'm wrong, but won't educate me...

PM me if necessary, but this is getting seriously old.
I can tell you are not ready to look past what a teacher states
... I will happily PM you when I can write a book

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I can tell you are not ready to look past what a teacher states
... I will happily PM you when I can write a book
I've been looking past what a teacher states (in nutrition) for 2 years, because nutritional education is hard to come by in school. There are many resources available besides the opinions of the internet-educated, and I like to explore all the options. I doubt there is anything in feline nutrition that I haven't heard through the world of canine nutrition... but I'm new to this, so try me.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I've been looking past what a teacher states (in nutrition) for 2 years, because nutritional education is hard to come by in school. There are many resources available besides the opinions of the internet-educated, and I like to explore all the options. I doubt there is anything in feline nutrition that I haven't heard through the world of canine nutrition... but I'm new to this, so try me.
how about this .... feeding your dog like a cat is a very good thing...

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

how about this .... feeding your dog like a cat is a very good thing...
No argument there... moderate protein levels are acceptable to me. Its hard to find protein in the upper 20's/mid 30's range though. The spectrum of foods is just whacked... Also, fat percentages are a little high for dogs so far removed from nature (canines are more removed from nature than our feline companions). I'd hate to see what happened to the pancreatitis and obesity ocurrence if the average pet owner increased the daily fat content to 20% or higher. Some dogs are garbage guts, but many pampered pooches are not!

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
just1cat: I'd suggust emailing the companies you're interested in and asking for samples... I did this and recieved about 20lbs of free samples...Which was beneficial, because they ended up not liking most of them AND where I live, I'd have had to order any food online, so I'd loose money on the food and the shipping if they didn't eat them.

In particular, you might want to email nutro (if you haven't tried their foods already), chicken soup (all 3 of my cats INHALED it AND it's very reasonably priced), and wellness (again, INHALED the dry, but it is very $$$, otherwise that's what I'd be feeding). the Evolve cans were a big hit (yes, the company sent me cans as samples) BUT ingredients aren't very much above-average and can be $$ for what they are.

If you haven't already (and you have a petsmart in your area) check out the authority (petsmart brand) canned food... Their dry is comparable to nutro, as are the cans, but my cats all much preferred the texture of the authority cans to that of nutro...they are "pate" style and come in MANY flavors...Also, they're very reasonably priced (about $0.65 each per 6oz can in my area) so are a good choice price-wise. My cats likeed the beef/liver, chicken/liver, beef/chicken, lamb/rice flavors, as well as the fish ones, but I try to avoid too much fish.

HTH,
Art