Cat still in labour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryana1223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Trix started having her kittens at 440am this morning. The 1st 2 kittens did not survive [emoji]128543[/emoji] She then had the 3rd at 525am; an orange male born with only 1 ear. It is now 11am and she has yet to have another kitten but there is at least 1 more in there.
She is acting fine for the most part; eating drinking and using the litter box. But she continues to wander the house meowing.
Should I be concerned?

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you should be concerned. They kitten could be stuck or dead and unable to pass. Only a vet could tell you if theirs a problem but the fact that the first two were dead does raise some concerns.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat Trix started having her kittens at 440am this morning. The 1st 2 kittens did not survive [emoji]128543[/emoji] She then had the 3rd at 525am; an orange male born with only 1 ear. It is now 11am and she has yet to have another kitten but there is at least 1 more in there.
She is acting fine for the most part; eating drinking and using the litter box. But she continues to wander the house meowing.
Should I be concerned?
Were the stillborne fully developed? hairry and decently round?  Or were they visibly premature?  Does she attend the orange one ear?

Because if visibly premature, its only good the rest can cook a couple of days longer...   So, to answer your question.  As a rule of thumb, as long as momma is in no apparent distress, and taking nicely care of the already delivered - you do observe, but can wait and see.

Here its something going on. if the delivered were fully developed, etc - and she unease, and not having patience to care about the living kitten. this is alarming.  I recommend strongly you do contact your vet, prepare even for cesarean...   Also prepare for taking care of premature delivered - if they are alive and survive the birth...  Goats milk / kmr, a small needleless syringe, warming pad, a scale,  - if they are premature it is wise the air in the room is more damp moist than the usual.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bryana1223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The first 2 died after they were delivered. They were small but fully developed.
She is attending to the orange kitten just fine. Being very lovey and cuddley and nursing a lot.

I contacted our vet and she said to wait until around 530pm, 12 hours after the first birth, and contact her again if she turns for the worse or hasn't delivered anymore kittens.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Then you won't have to schedule an emergency after hours appointment, so that's good. Keep an eye on her in the kitten in the meantime.

bryana1223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is it going?  Please report now and then, even if nothing especial happens...
She has not had anymore kittens.
I took her in at 6pm and the vet did an ultrasound. He said he didn't see anymore kittens but that she had a cyst in her uterus? He didn't say much other than that.
He seemed a little... useless?
She will be getting spayed in 6 weeks tho. Phew.
And here is the one surviving kitty

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg! So sweet! I wonder what caused him to be born with only one ear!

bryana1223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg! So sweet! I wonder what caused him to be born with only one ear!
We really have no idea! The vet said it's not as uncommon as I thought. Although it is more common for them to be born with extra ears rather then too few. Lol
He is a very needy little guy tho but I'm hoping he thrives[emoji]128522[/emoji]

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He seems to be a classic tabby (marbled, blotched, bullseye)

Cysts in uterus arent that uncommon, women do have them sometimes too.

As she will be spayed, the problem will dissolve automaticly.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That little tabby is sooo cute, do keep updated on how he is doing.  Is he nursing well?

bryana1223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That little tabby is sooo cute, do keep updated on how he is doing.  Is he nursing well?
I took him to the vet today. He isn't doing well.
His pallet did not develop properly if at all and his tongue is partially attached to his cheek.
Unfortunately he won't make it.
Trix has just been laying with him all day.
[emoji]128546[/emoji]

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His pallet did not develop properly if at all and his tongue is partially attached to his cheek.
[emoji]128546[/emoji]
Aw, poor thing. Did the vet recommend putting him to sleep?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
[emoji]128546[/emoji]
He has a hole in the roof of the mouth?   A cleft palate?  Such kittens can sometimes by salved by hand feeding.  They are bad suckles, as this hole makes they dont get vacuum in the mouth, or at best, very weak.

Bit if they can swallow, they can often be saved.  This invalidity isnt serious when adult.

So you must use a needleless syringe ( a small one to begin with) and goat milk (raw is best, but most will do)  OR some good kmr.

The problem NOW is he hasnt eaten properly, so he is weak.  Smear glucose sugar on his mouth - it may be a thick honey water, it contains lots of glucose sugar, smear it on lips and gums.

The vet can also inject something containing salts and glucose sugar, subcutane injections...

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
But if the deformities are big, it may be too difficult anways, and pts may be best... [or rather, the least bad]

Talk it through with your vet.  

Just you know if the damage isnt too severe, they can often be  salved if you handraise them...  Momma will help with much of the daily care, so its acutally easier than handraising an orphan.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
[emoji]128546[/emoji]
She is apparently a good caretaker and momma.   IF he doesnt makes it, consider to taking in some orphans.  So the deaths wont be in wain.  And she wont sorrow so much. Because she will.   Just be sure the momma of the orphans didnt died by some contagious disease...

Vets do often know whom need help with a foster momma...

This advice can be good also with just one kitten - but not here, where she is needed to take care of this weak and sickly kitten.   And she does - if not else, its her only remaining kitten.

But if she gets more kittens, there is some danger the biological survival instincts kick in - and she abandons the weak and sick one, to be sure the others will make it, not to draw hunters to the nest...

bryana1223

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aw, poor thing. Did the vet recommend putting him to sleep?
He said it's up to us. I couldn't make a decision then so we just brought him home and are letting him and mama do their thing

Status
Not open for further replies.