Cat sick after eating tuna

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
a couple of yrs ago one of my friends cats got really really sick and she spent *a lot* of money running tests and the vets never could figure out what was wrong. shes an eco feminist so there wasnt chemicals around or anything for him to get into.

one day one of the roomies caught him licking a bar of soap. it didnt have anything toxic to cats in it but it had something in it he liked and he was licking so much it was making him ill

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by courtney_ou

a couple of yrs ago one of my friends cats got really really sick and she spent *a lot* of money running tests and the vets never could figure out what was wrong. shes an eco feminist so there wasnt chemicals around or anything for him to get into.

one day one of the roomies caught him licking a bar of soap. it didnt have anything toxic to cats in it but it had something in it he liked and he was licking so much it was making him ill
My cat loves to lick the soap after she finishes her meal. She only licks it once or twice and then she's done. I think it's her way of freshening her breath after a meal.
So far she's not had any problems, but she can't be getting too much in her system with only a lick or two. I'll keep an eye on her though in case she ever gets too crazy with it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rivi

We found him hiding in some rocks behind our home 8 years ago,he was only about a month old.His mother was a black stray and had hid him there.I took the mother to get fixed at a shelter and she got a home.

We had a heck of a time convincing Schnuffy to come out of the rocks.He is an extremely shy cat,he would only come out at night to eat food we put out.After three months of trying to make friends with him everyday he still would only come to eat.So we got our nephew to trick him and pick him up before he knew what was going on.After that he was fine.

He is extremely smart and a great friend,he loves to help me work and loves to play anytime.Hes not a lap cat and hes not a lazy cat.Hes always on a mission and up to something.Unfortuneatly he has a very bad habit of tasting everything he finds.I've never seen him in a bad mood or nasty,he is very loving and always seems in a good mood.

He looks better today and is gaining some weight back.We mixed the Fromm food in with some Fancy Feast and it looks like he ate most of it.In a few weeks we will know if its the tuna caused this.We no longer give him tuna,if all his troubles go away its a good bet it was the tuna.
Just saw your post and it sounds promising. He is a very loved and lucky kitty. More get well vibes coming your way for your kitty and hugs to you for being there for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rivi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank You
all for the replies and good info.Schnuffy says TY and a big lick for everyone

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

...I just think if it was something he ate he would be sick to his stomach or diarrhea or something...But nothing...
But, Rivi, am I mistaken or, didn't the blood tests suggest liver damage/reduced function?

While vomiting and diarrhea are shown as "signs" (symptoms) of onion/garlic ingestion, not every "sign" on that list will necessarily be present. You did see some of the others, though.

...Unfortuneatly he has a very bad habit of tasting everything he finds...
My own "gut feeling" is that it points to onion/garlic "sampling".

rivi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The onion and garlic was very little,i only made dip once and put all i chopped into the dip.He hates the smell of both so i kinda doubt he would taste it.I read he would need to eat quite a bit to make him ill.I chopped one small red onion and two cloves of garlic.

Schnuffy tastes things he finds BUT if it smells he won't touch it.I think the reason he tastes things is because THEY DON"T HAVE A SMELL and it puzzles his smart little brain into tasting it next.

This is the same cat that learned how to turn the bath tube faucet on by watching us use it!I saw him watch my wife turn the knobs on the faucet,he watched intensely.Two seperate knobs one hot one cold.I told her look he is really studying what you are doing,we though nothing of it.

Two days later we wake up to the sound of rushing water!Yep he learned how to bite the plastic knob and turn the water on!! I was dumbfounded!He turned the cold water on full.At 1st we didn't know he had done this and were both puzzled how the water got on.A few days later he did it again!Now we tighten the faucet up hard so he can't budge it.He loves to play in the tub and loves water.

Vet says liver tests indicate a toxic exposure of some type,could be anything.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

My cat loves to lick the soap after she finishes her meal. She only licks it once or twice and then she's done. I think it's her way of freshening her breath after a meal.
So far she's not had any problems, but she can't be getting too much in her system with only a lick or two. I'll keep an eye on her though in case she ever gets too crazy with it.
thats funny!
maybe she wanted to burp bubbles like on willie wonka?

my friends soap was the hippie handmade kind so im sure it smelled really yummy. i know i have some that is cinnamin oatmeal that i wouldnt mind taking a bite out of LOL

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mary got very very ill one year and I thought we would lose her. They thought she was exposed to something too but it turned out that she had been exposed to distemper. She survived but the not knowing was too much. She spent 2 weeks in the hospital and at the Vet's overnight.

I wanted to throw this theory out there. Sometimes humans suddenly become allergic to things that they were used to eating. It could be the same with your cutie. He is so cute. My Seldon loves water too.

Possibly he just found something like a piece or stray garlic or onion or something from your shoes when you came in. Most likely you will never have a definitive answer but it is good to try to figure out possibilities.

kitten_smitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now here is the kicker......the exact same thing happened to me 10 years ago.It left me with extreme chemical sensitivities.That means i'm alergic to everything.Detergents,dyes,soaps,car exhaust,perfumes all types of chlorinated products.SO the ONLY products i have in the house are ivory bar soap,orange oil extract dish soap,vinegar,baking soda and Aloe Vera styling hair spray from the health food store.THATS IT nothing ELSE.I'm completely lost on what he got into,the place is super clean.
The vet doesn't beileve it was the tuna or his food.
~underlining mine~

Did you happen to live in the same house ten years ago?

I am reading autoimmune response, that is what allergies or "sensitivities" are is an extreme immune response to some thing - allergies are normally caused when one body responds to begin as if it were toxic . No one is really sure what triggers autoimmune responses although there are a number of theories out there. . .some say virus while other blame things such as mold and genetics. I once had a dog that was allergic to the same things I was. . . . I didn't know what an allergy was until I was in my mid-thirties, So maybe some allergies are age related???? {shrug don't really know}

I am asking about the house because we can sterilize our home but soo many things can still exist under our homes between the walls or even within the walls themselves. I have friend who became allergic to all sorts of things all of a sudden - years later she was having her roof re-done and they found a mold growing in her decking - apparently just a little moisture under the singles - {shrug} May never know . . . I am just glad to hear your kitty is going to be fine and I am glad to hear your feral is still doing well.

When I switch cat foods I do what you just did - I mix the new with the old food then gradually put less and less old food in and more and more new food in there. I recently switch from Meow Mix to a dry food where meat was the first on the list - I mixed as described and my Fussy-Butt Kitty went in and picked all the new dry food out and ate it. . . . I never know what these guys are going to do. . some times I think my cats read things like this and do just the opposite of what they are supposed to just for grins and giggles.

Thanks for coming back and updating us on your kitty's condition. . .

ognstub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello,
i also became sensitive to the point where it seemed i am allergic to everything! inside and outside. this came after we lived in a mouldy apartment for 7 months. it was awful in there...couldnt find another place for 7 months.
one cat and i suffered the most and we still do...runny eyes and nose all the time. we were both checked out and doctors and vets say we're fine....except for the symptoms duh.
any chance of mould spots in/around the house?

marg
og stubby & lola

rivi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New Problem.......

Schuffy suddenly started sniffing in the air and acting crazy,then he started jumping up on the sink and licking around the edge of it.Then he started acted like he ate catnip,rolling around and acting drunk.We finally figured out what he was REALLY doing was eating tiny little ants.The ant give off some kind of smell when ever they appear and he nuts over eating them.Then acts drunk.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Thank You

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How strange. Zek will show me the ants, but he refuses to eat them (even when I beg!). They do smell rather bad, so I'm not surprised that Zek won't eat them. Perhaps Schuffy thinks the smell is good? My boyfriend has a couple of cats who like the way my shoes, socks and pants smell and treat them like catnip.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

New Problem.......

Schuffy suddenly started sniffing in the air and acting crazy,then he started jumping up on the sink and licking around the edge of it.Then he started acted like he ate catnip,rolling around and acting drunk.We finally figured out what he was REALLY doing was eating tiny little ants.The ant give off some kind of smell when ever they appear and he nuts over eating them.Then acts drunk.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Thank You
Wow, sounds like you've had a lot to handle recently! I don't really have any advice on the eating ants and acting drunk thing unfortunately. Shermie eats bugs sometimes, but they are like spiders and those pincher bugs. I try not to let him do it b/c I dunno if they're bad for him but sometimes you can't stop it....Good luck with the ant thing and the other things. Your boy is very pretty!
It's good to know too that he's well-cared for =)

rivi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the compilment.
These are super tiny little ants,you can barely see them.He can smell them for sure cause thats what he does 1st is sniff the air.Hes doing it again and acting crazy...this is the weirdest thing i ever seen.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen cats do anything remotely close to anting. But maybe the formic acid has a weird effect on cats too? It can make some birds act very strange/drunk like.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you for the compilment.
These are super tiny little ants,you can barely see them.He can smell them for sure cause thats what he does 1st is sniff the air.Hes doing it again and acting crazy...this is the weirdest thing i ever seen.
I'd get some diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it around where the ants are to get rid of them and the DE won't hurt your cat.

rivi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found the answer...some ants give off a sour smell some cats like.Funny my feral cat momma can't smell um and walks through the kitchen without a clue.Schuffy on the other hand is a ant alarm because everytime the tiny ants are there he is sniffing the air and wants to eat them.Regular size ants don't have this effect on him,its only these teeny tiny ants he goes crazy over.

Whats is diatomaceous earth and thanks for the suggestion.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I found the answer...some ants give off a sour smell some cats like.
That's what I said, formic acid. Birds ant their feathers and primates are known to roll in ants.

rivi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's what I said, formic acid. Birds ant their feathers and primates are known to roll in ants.
TY So the formic acid is the sour smell,interesting its only the tiny ants he can smell.The larger ants don't have any effect on him.Honestly its the craziest thing i've ever seen,if the tiny ants appear he is completely distracted by their smell until they leave again or he eats them all.