Cat Seems Pregnant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sultown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are some pictures! She ended up having a fourth! They are all feeding, momma is dozing off but looks comfortable and aware, and they are all moving. We bought these extra large adult diapers to make sure there is no mess, and you can see they did a good job. Topherius meantioned to not move them, so I'll wait to clean their "bed". Thank you everyone for being there for me and the cats through this awesome event. Also, its pretty cool they were born on th day of the total solar eclipse! I suppose we chose the right name for the mom, Luna.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can clean up the nest after they've nursed for awhile. They are better off on dry bedding. :)

Topherius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah once mama has cleaned up and had some rest and fed the little ones get her area comfortable dry and warm. She looks very content! Thanks for the pictures!

Sultown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had 5 kittens! Wow, it must have blended in with the color of the mama, so we didn't see it. There are 2 grays, 1 pure black, and 2 "tuxedo" kittens (the white paws and a white tuff that looks like a tie).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Health is determined by weight gain.

Weigh each kitten daily. Kittens need to gain 6-10 geams daily apiece.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is post-partum discharge from her uterus. It's normal, and usually lasts 7-10 days.

It should become less, turn darker, and dry up over that time.

Sultown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, Sarthur! Also, is it okay for the mom to frequently take a break? All of the kittens are sleeping right now so the mom is sitting next to me and sleeping too. When they start meowing, she goes right to them which is good. One problem is that she will lie down ON a kitten without knowing it. She might accidentally lay on one when we're away and I wouldn't know at all. Can they be layed on? Will she move? I've seen the kittens be in some weird positions while drinking but they weren't fully under (just the head, upside down. I moved them out of that position).

Also, heres a photo from last night

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, moms need breaks. It's fine as long as she goes back to feed her kittens when they cry.

Is the nest big enough for mom to lie down without sitting on the babies?

Some moms will "adjust" after lying down. Some babies learn to crawl out once they are bigger.

It's a common problem. Keep your eye out to help for now. :)