Cat Seems Pregnant.

Sultown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! In the past few days we've acquired a new cat (won't specify much else as it is really confusing) but we think it is pregnant! We will be happy to help it through its pregnancy, feed it, care for it and its kittens (if shes pregnant) and hopefully adopt out to loving homes. I am not willing to abort or abandon these cats so we will do what we can to give them all they need.

We think she is pregnant based on these reasons:
-Her belly is very large compared to her small frame
-Her nipples are dark, almost black (some pink) and hard
-She meows more than she used to, especially in the early morning
-Very affectionate, turning he belly up for us to pet (though I've heard this is to reduce pressure on the womb).
-Her appetite has gone up. She will always take food we put in front of her and eat it.

The first and second reasons are what really stand out to me. When she is standing and I look directly above her, her belly is twice as wide as the shoulder width! Her belly also hangs low. This is definitely not overfeeding as we haven't been feeding her THAT much and she has been pooping a lot. Let me know if you want me to post pictures.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That looks like a pregnant belly to me!

An x-ray at the vet would reveal how many kittens and how far along they are if you are interested.

Kitten movement is usually seen and or felt the final 2-3 weeks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally speaking. . .if she's unspayed and has been outdoors (or otherwise exposed to an intact tom), she's pregnant! Cats are very fertile.

She does look like she's pretty far along. Might be seeing some babies very soon. Post pics!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sultown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an update. We were feeling her belly last night and we felt some kicks! Today she is meowing a lot and wanting constant attention. Sarthur said we will see/feel movement in the last 2-3 weeks, so I think she's really close! I'll post an update tonight.

Sultown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is is safe to give her a flee bath and dewormer? She seems to have both and want to get her cleaned up.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Worm meds are safe. I would skip the flea bath and instead put a tube of Advantage II on the back of her neck.

Sultown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright. Also, when she delivers the kittens, how soon can we bathe them?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens should not be bathed. They cannot control their own internal body temperature the first 3 weeks of life. Mom cleans them. They should not need baths at any point.

Sultown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Still no Kittens yet but I know shes getting close. She's gotten bigger and she's been licking her legs and back quite a bit. She also meows until I go over to her sometimes.

Sultown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She keeps licking around her stomach, back legs, and nipple area. Is this normal or is she close?

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Still no Kittens yet but I know shes getting close. She's gotten bigger and she's been licking her legs and back quite a bit. She also meows until I go over to her sometimes.
Sometimes your cat will act a little more clingy/needy in the last few weeks of pregnancy. My cat went through the same stage. Just keep an eye on her and give her a quiet comfy place to lay so she may become used to it and see it as a secure place to deliver kittens. Good luck to you and your kitty! :)

Sultown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great news! She's having her babies right now. If only she didn't choose the laundry room. So far there are 3, but that could be it. Can we move her to a better spot?

Sultown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We relocated her to a clean and comfortable spot. The 3 kittens are feeding right now. I'm calling this a success! I'll post photos when they are dry.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! Sounds like all is well.

Do weigh the babies when you have a moment.

Topherius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ohh awesome! Try not to move them anymore and let mama do her work. Mama will move em if she feels she needs to but if she doesn't that is a safe spot to her. Eeek can't wait for pics!