Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

Everytime I think it's the end, he sits up and moves. I know its not better and that it'll go back down again soon, but its so much harder to think this way when he's sitting up and looking around. When I first spoke up this morning, he had peed on the carpet and was laying on his side and not moving. Since then he's gone from under the bed to look out the window and hasn't laid down like that again. I feel like I'm just looking for glimmer of hope and prolonging this, but like I said I just doubt myself so much. I can't make this decision when he doesn't look like he's going to die at any given moment.

My mom called her friend who's had cats who have died before says we should do it sooner rather than later with how he is, because waiting too long will just make it worse for him, even if he looks somewhat "better" right now.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "looking better for right now" is only temporary, you know. Sometimes the more loving thing to do is the most difficult, letting go, for his sake.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how devastating this is for you. I had to have my sweet Missy put to sleep for health reasons a couple of years ago. I did not have the support system you have, dear. Please know that all of us out here are sharing your pain too. At this time, there happens to be 2 sweet cats who are nearing "the end" and speaking for myself, I cannot read either of your threads without tears swelling inside of me. You and your sweet boy are in all of our hearts, dear. Please rest assured. I hope this helps a bit.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know.

I called around to see how much it would be. It's another 120 for the procedure and then more if I want the ashes. Our humane society will do it for cheaper but I wouldn't be able to be with him. I don't know if I could do it anyways. I might just stress him out more.

Thank you for everyone's support.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am surprised your vet won't do the procedure for free. I had Missy cremated, (the cremation now I had to pay for). I am glad that I did. It is somehow comforting to me to have her ashes in a little urn that has "paw prints" all over it. I can still kiss Missy every day, and I love knowing that I will always be able to do just that!

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I made an appointment for 2:30 today. It's 228 for the procedure and cremation.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maddie I am so sorry you are having to make this difficult and painful decision. It is very obvious through everything you have been doing how much you love Booty.  No one is ever ready to say goodbye to their baby.  Our babies are never in our lives long enough.  I have had to make this difficult painful decision personally twice and there are no easy answers.  I can't completely explain how I just knew it was time there was just a look in my babies eyes and a way they were moving about that told me it was time.  Sometimes we have to make very painful decisions for us in order to end the pain and suffering for our babies. 

You have done everything you can for Booty and the decision to end his suffering is coming out of love even though it hurts like hell.  I truly believe this is the final act of love we give to our babies when their pain and suffering is just too much to take and has taken away their quality of life.  We will all be here thinking of you and offering support during this very difficult time.  Booty will always have a special place in your heart and will take a piece of your heart with him when he crosses the rainbow bridge.  

Please do not blame yourself for what happened you have done everything you can.  I know this is easier said then done. I did this to myself after I lost Claude because it was one of the few times I made plans to go somewhere all day when I was unemployed.  I kept thinking that maybe I could have prevented his stroke or taken him for treatment sooner if I had not been visiting friends that day.  Even the vet telling me it would not have changed things did not stop this for me right away.  It was one of my friends who pointed out that Claude would not want me blaming myself and that he was no longer suffering. One of my other friends also reminded me that there was nothing I could have controlled in this situation if I had been home. I had to work through these feelings of blame and doubt in my own time.  Please know it is normal to feel though none of this is your fault.  Sometimes blame and doubt are part of grieving and have to be worked through at your own pace.

Hugs to you during this very difficult time.  I am in tears with your here.

Last edited:

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I keep thinking that maybe if I had gotten him the nausea medicine, or the appetite stimulant, maybe he would eat, and then maybe he would get better. Or maybe if he finished the antibiotics for the full 3 weeks he'd get better. 

But then I remember that he's been on the antibiotics for a week and he doesn't improve more than what he's at now, and this isn't the kind of life I want for him. Maybe the food would have helped, but even when he was eating he wouldn't eat enough to sustain himself. And he pees wherever he is, and I don't think the antibiotics will help with that. 

It's just so hard. Thank you everyone.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry as well. I promise you, when you have him back home, his physical pain will be over with forever and your emotional pain will have the chance to begin to heal, little by little each day, once this is over. In time, when he crosses your mind, it will be the "good times, your joyous time" together with him is what you will carry with you the rest of your life, I promise the tears will be replaced with smiles of the memories. I kept a tuft of fur before I took her in and placed it in an envelope and tucked that envelope into a drawer. I could not bring that envelope out and hold that beautiful fur ball until about a year later, but I am glad I have that with me as well. Just an FYI.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He just licked at some tuna. I don't think he actually ate any of it, but he didn't walk away and he lapped up all the juice.

I don't know what to do now...

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I keep thinking that maybe if I had gotten him the nausea medicine, or the appetite stimulant, maybe he would eat, and then maybe he would get better. Or maybe if he finished the antibiotics for the full 3 weeks he'd get better. 

But then I remember that he's been on the antibiotics for a week and he doesn't improve more than what he's at now, and this isn't the kind of life I want for him. Maybe the food would have helped, but even when he was eating he wouldn't eat enough to sustain himself. And he pees wherever he is, and I don't think the antibiotics will help with that. 

It's just so hard. Thank you everyone.
This one of the hardest decisions you will have to make in your life.  I know this does not make things any easier but you are making this decision because you love Booty and do not want him to continue to suffer. For me the not eating peeing on himself are big quality of life issues.  The nausea meds and appetite stimulant at this point may not really fix things.  The struggle with the force feeding is very difficult for Booty and his humans.  To me it really just seems like Booty's body has just had enough.  Just spend time hanging with and loving on Booty as he will allow.  It is great that you are going to able to be with Booty at the end.  For me personally this made a big difference and gave me a sense of closure even though it was difficult and painful.  One of my cats passed away unexpectedly during a treatment at the vets years ago and I still to this day feel her death was much harder on me than when I was able to be there to say goodbye and hold them in their final moments.  There will always be doubt involved in making this decision no matter how much our mind knows it is time the heart does not.

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not going to like what I am about to say but, there are times in life that we need to be decisive and "stick to our guns". You must ask yourself, do I honestly believe that he will make a 180 turnaround and be healed, or am I just prolonging the inevitable because this is so painful. I know this hurts like heck, it is never an easy choice to make. If you can honestly say Booty is no longer suffering, in pain, and everything is going to be like it used to be, well then. Golly, I wish I could reach out and hug you honey, just remember, the pain from all this will ease and the joy with him will be with you forever!

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add "This too shall pass" Please remember this, it will help you get through this.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm trying not to keep the idea that he's better now, and that it's all uphill from here. I hope to ask the vet who I scheduled my appointment with their opinion. 

I just dont think I could do it now after this. He really did lap up a lot, which is a huge difference from getting up and turning away from it before. I know he's not better and I'm trying very hard to not to think like that, but it doesnt make sense to me to go through with it when there was a change. Not yet, anyways. I really, really dont want him to suffer, but I will probably wait a few more days now, unless the vet encourages it today.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not going to like what I am about to say but, there are times in life that we need to be decisive and "stick to our guns". You must ask yourself, do I honestly believe that he will make a 180 turnaround and be healed, or am I just prolonging the inevitable because this is so painful. I know this hurts like heck, it is never an easy choice to make. If you can honestly say Booty is no longer suffering, in pain, and everything is going to be like it used to be, well then. Golly, I wish I could reach out and hug you honey, just remember, the pain from all this will ease and the joy with him will be with you forever!
For what it is worth I agree with Mazie.  One of my best friends pretty much said the same thing to me when I was going through making this decision with Claude.  I was mad at her for talking to me like this when I was upset but later realized I really did need to hear it and what she was saying actually made sense.  

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm trying not to keep the idea that he's better now, and that it's all uphill from here. I hope to ask the vet who I scheduled my appointment with their opinion. 

I just dont think I could do it now after this. He really did lap up a lot, which is a huge difference from getting up and turning away from it before. I know he's not better and I'm trying very hard to not to think like that, but it doesnt make sense to me to go through with it when there was a change. Not yet, anyways. I really, really dont want him to suffer, but I will probably wait a few more days now, unless the vet encourages it today.
I think it is an excellent idea to have an open and honest discussion with the vet before making a definite decision.  Write down everything you want to discuss with the vet before the appointment.  This will help make sure you remember all the questions you have and everything you want to just talk about.  You are going through a lot on an emotional level right now so writing things down will make it easier to remember everything when you are there.  

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know, guys. I think I may be letting my emotions get in the way, but looking at him right now I don't know if I could say he really looks like a cat who is going to die today. His eyes are still watery and the third eyelids are shown, but he's sitting up more and looks around(though I'm not sure if he can really see). He took food a little easier this morning when I syringe fed him, and then when he licked up the tuna... I don't know. I'm going to still take him in. I'll tell you guys what happens. 

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are still going to take him in.  We are here for you no matter what decision you make today.

Status
Not open for further replies.