Cat pooping on the bed

denizli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 3 yr old cat has suddenly started pooping on our bed. He has to go through our room to get to the litter tray which is out on the balcony. He still uses the tray but then runs in & finishes off on the bed.
The only thing that I can think of is that we changed his cat lit a few weeks ago but changed it straight back after the first problem.
Any ideas on how we get him back on track again??

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is he actually pooping on the bed, or does he have little "cling ons" that stick to his behind & end up on the bed? I have a DMH foster kitty that sometimes has poop follow her out of the litterbox.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denizli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No,it's a deliberate act & not an accident but we just don't know what to do to stop it. It's as if he is now programed to go there & nothing we can do will stop him.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's just started happening then i would take him for a checkup just to make sure he's ok?. Like Nat, i thought a cling on, or if it had stuck to his fur while he was in the middle of doing his business which gave him a fright and jump out the box?

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it runny? If not, he might be having trouble with his sense of smell. Sometimes cats with allergies/colds/who are old have trouble "smelling" exactly where the litter box is.

That's what happened to my mother-in-law's cat.

You should probably take him to the vet either way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denizli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody, I will sound the vet out but he seems fine otherwise, eating like a horse & as cheeky as ever

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For sake of cleaning it up I would throw a plastic tarp or somethign over bed and possibly a litter box near bed height then slowly lower it back to ground and out to main spot. Could he have been spooked by something and now not feel safe in a very vulnerable position?