Cat Poop Growing Mold In Waste Bin

ebippity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My cat, Ernesto, is on a raw food diet and it ROCKS! His poop is tiny and stink-free! However, since I switched his litter from a clay clumping one to using cedar pellets, it takes a LOOONG time to fill up a pail. It starts to grow mold pretty fast. I'm trying to be as environmental as I can and so don't want to be going through plastic bags every three days. Anyone have any ideas? I end up thinking maybe if there were a way to get some air circulation in whatever I store it in but then the smell would be more apparent to him and I don't know if that would bother him (as in, to cause unwanted pooping/peeing behavior)? It also seems unsanitary to not be keeping it in a plastic bag, sealed away. I tend to think an air-tight container won't help because the poop has the moisture in it so it will still grow mold. Any thoughts?? Thanks so much!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as there isn't too much litter sticking to it, I'd just flush it down the toilet. Human poop, cat poop... it's still poop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ebippity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ha!! Oh my goodness--of course! See, I knew there was a simple solution I wasn't thinking of. Thanks!

As long as there isn't too much litter sticking to it, I'd just flush it down the toilet. Human poop, cat poop... it's still poop.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do exactly that. I use pine pellets as litter and I flush the poop whenever I see it in the box.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Flushing it would be a great idea to get rid of it quickly! I would be concerned about the litter getting flushed too though and you'd have to be real careful about not getting too much of that down the pipes.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If you don't want to flush it you could get the small bags that are meant for picking up dog poop. It's still plastic but you could discard them every 2-3 days without adding more plastic than the larger grocery bags.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flush it, or get a plastic bucket with a snap seal lid. Just leave the bucket near the box and scoop into the bucket when needed. Dump the bucket once a week.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use wood pellets as well and just flush the poops as soon as I find them. If a couple pellets go down its not a big deal, since they will just disintegrate in the water.