Cat likes chocolate. o_O

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My indoor cat is a garbage rummager...he likes crusty bread, rolls, butter, tomato sauce, dairy, deli meats...almost anything. If I leave a plate on the dining table, he usually comes a few hours later to lick it! He's eaten half a roll off the counter, licks empty butter packages... I obviously don't give these things to him, but I've found him dragging it out of the garbage. So, I've got a weird kitty too! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My indoor cat is a garbage rummager...he likes crusty bread, rolls, butter, tomato sauce, dairy, deli meats...almost anything. If I leave a plate on the dining table, he usually comes a few hours later to lick it! He's eaten half a roll off the counter, licks empty butter packages... I obviously don't give these things to him, but I've found him dragging it out of the garbage. So, I've got a weird kitty too! 
Haha! My kitty is actually interested in some other things too, but fortunately, not much human food!!! ^_^ I eat a lot of edamame and it's almost as if she wants to like it since I'm always eating it, but doesn't like it. =P She'll come over and sniff it occasionally when I put one in front of her to sniff and I can tell she doesn't like the smell, but she's seen me eating it so many times that she'll come over every few days as if she's trying to like it.

Anyone who thinks their cat(s) don't plot though, is very wrong!
One morning I was eating a chorizo omelette with hash browns and kitty came over acting oblivious, completely uninterested (didn't even sniff it), and lay down on my lap to "sleep". I really thought she was napping and found it very strange as, unless it's chocolate, she usually stares at me from across the room when I'm eating and sometimes seems to get freaked out and runs off as if she's scared I might eat her next...

Well, the very millisecond I put down my take-out container, kitty pounced on it to try to taste it. From "napping" to on the takeout box with her tongue out in the blink of an eye!!
No exaggeration!! Fortunately, I was done, so I let her try to eat the tiny half a sliver of hash brown and the tiny crumb of whatever else was there. 

Oh, and I'm so glad I decided to get one of those covered garbage cans with the sliding lock right before I decided to get my kitty! Otherwise, I wouldn't have to worry so much about the human food as I do about the plastic in the garbage! *phew*

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

My Frederik loves loves loves carob buttons, we found them at our local pet shop and they are amazing, there are 4 types caramel, chocolate, yoghurt and strawberry. He goes crazy for them.

Great! Thank you!! I'll look for these! :)
My mum doesn't eat chocolate but swears keeping carob beside it makes it smell more like choclate so if it doesn't prove a hit to start off with it might be worth trying this out. 

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mew does this too! What is up with her doing that. She gets wet 2 to 3x a day and dry any time she wants and water of course.
We catch her walking around the corners of the trash can. And she will dig stuff out.

Yesterday she tried eating Styrofoam out of the can! Luckily we caught her. Dh said he caught her earlier with some. She claws it but was chewing or leaving teeth marks and lots of tiny pieces. Honestly. :(

I told my husband when the $ comes in, we need several big, heavy duty cans.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mew does this too! What is up with her doing that. She gets wet 2 to 3x a day and dry any time she wants and water of course.
We catch her walking around the corners of the trash can. And she will dig stuff out.

Yesterday she tried eating Styrofoam out of the can! Luckily we caught her. Dh said he caught her earlier with some. She claws it but was chewing or leaving teeth marks and lots of tiny pieces. Honestly.

How 'bout trash cans with LIDS!

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yesterday she tried eating Styrofoam out of the can! Luckily we caught her. Dh said he caught her earlier with some. She claws it but was chewing or leaving teeth marks and lots of tiny pieces. Honestly.

My other cat eats styrofoam too! I've seen her reach into a box, grab a packing peanut with her mouth, then run away with it to eat it elsewhere. I have to run after her, pull it out of her mouth & then pull out the little pieces under her tongue! These cats are nuts...

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wonder if they missing vitamins (what could be in Styrofoam they want or need?) Or something.

We made lunch... spaghetti. The "kids" just had wet not an hour ago... I caught Mew on the counter way to close to the hot, still on stove! Grrrr!
She just ate wet, has dry and water all the time. :( I could see her trying to lick the hot sauce.

My other cat eats styrofoam too! I've seen her reach into a box, grab a packing peanut with her mouth, then run away with it to eat it elsewhere. I have to run after her, pull it out of her mouth & then pull out the little pieces under her tongue! These cats are nuts...

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise

My mum doesn't eat chocolate but swears keeping carob beside it makes it smell more like choclate so if it doesn't prove a hit to start off with it might be worth trying this out. 
Thanks!! That might work!! :)

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise

LOL!!!