Cat Labor Concerns

DaniAndTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. MY little girl, Luna, appears to be in early stages of labor and has been since about 7-8 hours ago. She became very vocal, affectionate, kept trying to lead me to darker, quieter places in the house. I've made her a nesting box out of laundry baskets and sheets and towels. She's still very vocal and clingy. If I leave the room, she follows and meows up a storm.

I noticed about 6 hours ago there was a little bit of brown discharge coming from her. There's a little bit more now and I've watched her push several times with no birth. She will push 3-5 times and then stops. She hasn't been panting, but her breathing is heavier than normal.

We just paid bills and sadly don't have the upfront money we would need for an exam, but if this sounds like an emergent situation, I'll do what I can to borrow money to get her looked at.

She will be spayed soon regardless of what is going on right now. I'm just a bit of an anxious mess because her sister and litter mate, Lily, was poisoned and sadly passed away just over a month ago. I'm afraid for my Luna, and hesitantly excited at the prospect of having at least one new baby in our home.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to leave her be as much as possible, but she seeks me out if I leave her for more than a few seconds.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The prelabor phase may be quite long, even 24 hours. Its the active pushing phase which is shorter with cats than humans. 40-50 minutes of active pushing without result and she must get help. - phone the vet, and be ready to rush her in.

What you write now, I think its still the prelabor phase. Be observant, but stay calm so far.

Be with her if you can, as she wants it. Rub her tummy if she wants and allows. If she wants to eat, give her something rich in calcium if its possible for you. Youghurt, or cheese perhaps.

When the delivery comes and if she has a big litter, dont let her eat more than 4 placentas. Otherwise there is some risk for heavy diarrheas.

During the time, try to get borrow these money. If you dont need them, you can repay them. But if she comes into real difficulties, you wont have no time to borrow anything. Its just to rush in.

Please report how things are developing. D DaniAndTheCat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaniAndTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The prelabor phase may be quite long, even 24 hours. Its the active pushing phase which is shorter with cats than humans. 40-50 minutes of active pushing without result and she must get help. - phone the vet, and be ready to rush her in.

What you write now, I think its still the prelabor phase. Be observant, but stay calm so far.

Be with her if you can, as she wants it. Rub her tummy if she wants and allows. If she wants to eat, give her something rich in calcium if its possible for you. Youghurt, or cheese perhaps.

When the delivery comes and if she has a big litter, dont let her eat more than 4 placentas. Otherwise there is some risk for heavy diarrheas.

During the time, try to get borrow these money. If you dont need them, you can repay them. But if she comes into real difficulties, you wont have no time to borrow anything. Its just to rush in.

Please report how things are developing. D DaniAndTheCat
Thanks so much for your advice! Still no change so far. I sure hope everything goes okay for her.

DaniAndTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, her first baby was stillborn and not fully developed. Waiting to see if there will be more...

DaniAndTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry about the stillborn kitten =(
I hope things go well, please update whenever you can.
Thank you. I would be telling a big fat lie if I said I wasn't an emotional wreck right now

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a love squeaky baby and she's howling her way through number 3!
:bunnydance::celebrate:
Here's to happy, healthy babies.
I'm sure you will, but keep your vet on speed dial in case something goes off but it sounds like she's doing well!!!

DaniAndTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's making a lot of growling noises at the babies and not presenting her belly to them. I'm mildly concerned

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's making a lot of growling noises at the babies and not presenting her belly to them. I'm mildly concerned
I wish I knew the members better...some have very good experiences with this.
Maybe post in the breeding of SOS forum. They might see your posts.
Fingers crossed. Where is her nest located; hopefully somewhere quiet and low-stress.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This here P&K forum is the appropriate for such.
I wish I knew the members better...some have very good experiences with this.
Maybe post in the breeding of SOS forum. They might see your posts.
Fingers crossed. Where is her nest located; hopefully somewhere quiet and low-stress.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suspect she may have some problems. OR is not done as yet. How does it looks now? Im writhing several hours after you wrote the above.

You may be forced to take her to a vet anyway, and to handraise the kittens. If they hadnt nursed anything as yet, you can always begin with wetting their lips and gum with water sweetened with honey. Glucose sugar in honey gives quick energy. Next step will be to get handraising gears - a formula or goats milk, a little syringe or dropper, etc.

DaniAndTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suspect she may have some problems. OR is not done as yet. How does it looks now? Im writhing several hours after you wrote the above.

You may be forced to take her to a vet anyway, and to handraise the kittens. If they hadnt nursed anything as yet, you can always begin with wetting their lips and gum with water sweetened with honey. Glucose sugar in honey gives quick energy. Next step will be to get handraising gears - a formula or goats milk, a little syringe or dropper, etc.
She had three live babies, one stillborn. One of the live babies died in the night, and I have been bottle feeding the two that are still alive, as well as monitoring their temperature (nothing fancy, just making sure they aren't cold), and stimulating their bowel movements. They're doing well, but mom is still having a hard time being a mom. The kittens cry and she meows and finds them, but won't nurture or comfort them. She is sleeping with them now, but isn' allowing them to find milk and if they get restless, she leaves them. I'm unsure, but I think the stillbirth and the later death of a newborn could have bothered her and she might be afriad?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think she is in pains physically.

A vet check up is advised if at all possible.

DaniAndTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:

She is now laying with the kittens, cleaning them, and keeping them warm. I can't quite tell if they're nursing or not because their heads are so small and she' got some thick fur on her belly. She definitely has milk, though, because we have seen some leaking from her. The two living babies are doing well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The safest way to know if they get enough is to weigh them on a scale every day - even wvery 12 hours if needed

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The safest way to know if they get enough is to weigh them on a scale every day - even wvery 12 hours if needed
I can't agree with this excellent advice more! A simple postage scale will work.
Dani, your vet might have a scale not in use that they'd be willing to lend you. Maybe Luna's foster Mom knows someone, or has one, that would be available short term.
In any event, I'm glad the babies are doing well. Very sorry about the two that were lost =( Nature isn't always nice.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:

She is now laying with the kittens, cleaning them, and keeping them warm. I can't quite tell if they're nursing or not because their heads are so small and she' got some thick fur on her belly. She definitely has milk, though, because we have seen some leaking from her. The two living babies are doing well.
Keep a close watch, if she's producing milk that's IME a good sign.
Is this this cats first litter? Sometimes new mothers that haven't had kitten rearing experience need help (as you're offering!) or just aren't really "dedicated" mothers, they feed them and spend time with them but don't spend a lot of time cleaning the kittens, cuddling the kittens, or fussing over them, etc.

DaniAndTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not the happiest update... Even with intervention, using heating pad (on low, and not directly on the kittens), KMR, helping them potty, and a multitude of other hand aising things... we are left with only one living kitten. And I'm at this point unsure if it will survive despite the fact that it seems to be doing well. She doesn't want it to nurse. If it gets up there to start, she gets mad and moves it away. Trying more KMR...