Cat isn't pooping as often anymore?

kittyluvr511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, everyone. My cat isn't pooping as often anymore. He used to poop every 24-36 hours, but since last week, it's more like every 48 hours. He pooped last Wednesday night, didn't poop for two days, pooped morning, and he hasn't pooped since. He isn't showing any signs of discomfort or illness, and he's eating and drinking normally. I feed him 2 cans of wet food a day, plus 1/4 cup of kibble. I don't know if I should bring him in to see the vet or if this is a mild case of constipation that can be cured at home. Would appreciate any advice.
One other thing: His belly doesn't feel tense, either. He looks and is acting completely normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old is he? As cats age, they often change their bowel habits just because their systems slow down. When he does go, is the consistency the same? Neither of my cats go daily or even every other day, more like every three days, but they are both 13 years old AND their diet is mainly raw (which produces much smaller amount of stool).

You could try adding some water to the canned food you are already feeding to see if that makes a change, try deleting the kibble in it's entirety, or try adding in some fiber to see if that makes a change. A little bit of plain pumpkin is good type of fiber, even for cats. Just 1 teaspoon per meal. Some cats love it, some not so much. There are plenty of cat foods out there that even have pumpkin in it now for this issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyluvr511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is he? As cats age, they often change their bowel habits just because their systems slow down. When he does go, is the consistency the same? Neither of my cats go daily or even every other day, more like every three days, but they are both 13 years old AND their diet is mainly raw (which produces much smaller amount of stool).

You could try adding some water to the canned food you are already feeding to see if that makes a change, try deleting the kibble in it's entirety, or try adding in some fiber to see if that makes a change. A little bit of plain pumpkin is good type of fiber, even for cats. Just 1 teaspoon per meal. Some cats love it, some not so much. There are plenty of cat foods out there that even have pumpkin in it now for this issue.
He's 5! And when he does go, the consistency is the same, normal. I'll try adding water to his canned food and maybe some pumpkin. Thank you!