Cat Is Not Affectionate When Other Cat Is Around

Fluffypaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, everyone. I’ve always liked cat but never get around to get one. But last march i finally decided to adopt a cat, named him ragnar (vikings).. i know.. around 6 weeks later I decided i need to get him a playmate since he was really wild (biting and scratching) maybe because got separated too early from mom (was 6 weeks old) when adopted so i got his littermate and name her lagerta (hahah)

Just last week lagerta got uri and conjunctivitis so i decided to isolate her in separate room, then all of a sudden she become very affectionate when i come to her, which in turns make ragnar which is an asshole become affectionate too.. then just now when after i fed lagerta her last dose of antibiotics i let her out from isolation and play with ragnar... they both went back to ignoring me... this is so ridiculous... and to think i just fed them with baked chicken last night T_T

Has this ever happened to anyone? On side note when they play fighting lagerta always makes sound and growls at times which scares me since ragnar is like almost twice her size despite of the same age... but then they are grooming each other too so i guess its ok??

I attached their picture to show off of course:D
88E98A70-341A-4F5B-B864-5ECE2ADAF98D.jpeg
058D9E3B-310B-4D23-9C95-51BEF54E5C60.jpeg

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are gorgeous. They noises like growling and hissing are all part of play. They can sound almost scary at times. Kittens are just finicky little things and so easily distracted by each other and everything around them so sometimes they will be more affectionate then other times. As for the biting, don't ever play with them with your hands or they will grow up thinking it is ok to go after hands and bite them. Also are they spayed and neutered yet? I don't think you mentioned their ages but I would do that sooner rather then later.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also you mentioned you fed them baked chicken, you are feeding them a good kitten food diet, dry and or canned right?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve never had kittens, but I know with adult cats they can be fickle creatures. Right now I am mourning the loss of kitty snuggles from Olive. She was so intensely needy, on my lap all the time. Now that she has integrated with the other two cats she is more independent and is on my lap very little. They go through phases sometimes.

Also, depending on personalities you can sometimes have one cat leave if another wants attention. Our poor cat Trin can be so happy with pets and purring away but if Gohan walks by he immediately leaves. We even try and continue petting him to be “fair” but it’s too late and he’s not in the mood.

My guess is in a few years you might have amazing lap cats, since they obviously loved you in isolation. But the world is wide and unexplored and there are other kitties to play with. So they might be too excited to snuggle at the moment. I say enjoy their kittenhood and tryout probably will have lots of snuggles in the future.

Btw, they are absolutely adorable!

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey! Nice kittens! Congratulations.

I have adopted 2 kittens with almost same situation, except I adopted them at the same time. One of them (called Luke) is smaller and is much much aggressive - to the point that he has started peeing in my beanbag. Luke was so aggressive with Bruce's belt, that it had got me worried & I had to remove the belt. However, Bruce also fights Luke heavily, so I think there is an agreement on it between them. It seems fashionable for runts to be aggressive in feline world. I have a separate thread running on Luke.

When it comes to paying attention to me, my observations are same as yours too. I had a single kitten a few years back living with me & he was soooooo affectionate and loving. I had same expectations from these two, but they pay attention to me only when I am dispensing treats or when they want a warm place to tuck in.

So, I guess both of us are having routine experiences from feline world. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fluffypaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are gorgeous. They noises like growling and hissing are all part of play. They can sound almost scary at times. Kittens are just finicky little things and so easily distracted by each other and everything around them so sometimes they will be more affectionate then other times. As for the biting, don't ever play with them with your hands or they will grow up thinking it is ok to go after hands and bite them. Also are they spayed and neutered yet? I don't think you mentioned their ages but I would do that sooner rather then later.
Thanks! Yea I think so too they scream and bunny kicking each other heads.. feels like seeing dad watching UFC... the biting stopped after i got him the littermate so shouldnt be problem :D

I was going to get them both done but just finished with vaccination so probably will be postphoned until next month, he's 4 months old so its still in the safe zone right??

Fluffypaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve never had kittens, but I know with adult cats they can be fickle creatures. Right now I am mourning the loss of kitty snuggles from Olive. She was so intensely needy, on my lap all the time. Now that she has integrated with the other two cats she is more independent and is on my lap very little. They go through phases sometimes.

Also, depending on personalities you can sometimes have one cat leave if another wants attention. Our poor cat Trin can be so happy with pets and purring away but if Gohan walks by he immediately leaves. We even try and continue petting him to be “fair” but it’s too late and he’s not in the mood.

My guess is in a few years you might have amazing lap cats, since they obviously loved you in isolation. But the world is wide and unexplored and there are other kitties to play with. So they might be too excited to snuggle at the moment. I say enjoy their kittenhood and tryout probably will have lots of snuggles in the future.

Btw, they are absolutely adorable!
Thanks! OMG yes my lagerta loves to get scratched and always purr and rubs her head all over us but then ragnar will come and tackle her at times then she'll go elsewhere.. but if we try to pet ragnar after that he'll just leave and ignore us :S

Sorry for your loss btw...

Fluffypaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! Nice kittens! Congratulations.

I have adopted 2 kittens with almost same situation, except I adopted them at the same time. One of them (called Luke) is smaller and is much much aggressive - to the point that he has started peeing in my beanbag. Luke was so aggressive with Bruce's belt, that it had got me worried & I had to remove the belt. However, Bruce also fights Luke heavily, so I think there is an agreement on it between them. It seems fashionable for runts to be aggressive in feline world. I have a separate thread running on Luke.

When it comes to paying attention to me, my observations are same as yours too. I had a single kitten a few years back living with me & he was soooooo affectionate and loving. I had same expectations from these two, but they pay attention to me only when I am dispensing treats or when they want a warm place to tuck in.

So, I guess both of us are having routine experiences from feline world. :)
Thanks, yeah Im really scared at times when I hear them fight and tried to separate them a few times but then Lagerta (the one i thought got bullied) just dashed away and tackle Ragnar instead :S... then it strucks me like im a stranger playing white knight in couple squarrel =.=

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten play take precedent over human interaction. The thing to do to get snuggle time in is to pick up a kitten when they are falling asleep and cuddle with them. They love the warmth of a lap or chest and this helps develop closeness. Once they outgrow the wildness of kittenhood they will spend a great deal more time with/on you.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss btw...
I was tired when I wrote this and I see it was written poorly. Olive is happily still with us, I only lost about 30% of her snuggles since she became more independent. They grow up so fast, lol!