Cat Interrupted Labor?

Bbcat123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hellow caT world. My feline cat of one year has given birth to one kitten yesterday at 8 am. The kitten came out healthy and has been feeding just fine. However we took our cat to the vet and we took a x ray a while back and said to expect 3 cats. It has been 25 hours since the first born. My cat is walking around like everything is normal. She eats and drinks and even wants to play. I took her to the emergency around 4 pm yesterday and they wanted to perform a csection costing 5000 dollars. Is this normalbehavior from a cat? She is definitely still big around the belly but she is showing no signs of labor or anything! Also yesterday while the first kitten was being born my mom said that my dog was barking like crazy and acting crazy. Maybe stress? Should i take her to the vet? Is this normal? My cat atm is just walking around and tending the kitten when she meows.

ANyone please?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since cats can get pregnant by multiple toms and multiple times during their heat is is possible to have kittens of different gestation in utero. Which also means it is possible for your cat to go into labor several days apart; I think the longest I've heard is 10 days and more typical when it occurs is 2-3 days. It really would be best to follow your vets advice when it comes to the health of your cats; so I would start trying to figure out a way to pay for a c-section. If you cat starts showing distress it may become necessary to save her life.

Since she isn't showing signs of distress right now, it is possible that she is one of those rare cases of multiple litters born with days between. You should get some KMR, syringes and/or bottles on hand so you can step in to help supplement kittens. The older kitten could become ignored if your cat goes into labor or might edge out any younger siblings for food. Weighing the kitten(s) daily and supplement feeding is critical to keeping them all alive; especially in a possible scenario of varying ages with one mom.

Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives)
Fading Kitten Syndrome: 11 Things You Need To Know

I would also advise you to get Mom spayed once the kitten(s) are weaned to prevent future litters. There are far too many kittens in need of homes and too many cats killed every year to add more kittens into the mix.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No reason to perform a C-section unless your cat is in distress. Cats can have kittens hours or days apart with no problems. It’s when the kittens and mom’s body are ready. Just wait it out.

Also, C-sections are not cheap, but $5,000 at an emergency vet is outrageous.

Bbcat123 Bbcat123