Cat hunting me?

hannahcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I just had our 4 month old cat spayed last week. She also had surgery on her tail, so she is wearing an e-collar. She's been a little more aggressive since the surgery, but we think it's mostly because of the collar.

She's been hunting me the past few days though. If I sit on the bed, she hides from me on the floor and makes these weird chirps/clicks while looking at me. Then she jumps up on the bed. She doesn't attack me once she's on the bed though. I just pet her and she walks around and then jumps off and starts playing again. She only does this to me - not my husband.

It freaks me out because I know she's in "attack mode" when she does it. Is she just playing with me or is she being aggressive towards me? I'm very firm about her not clawing or biting at me (whereas my husband is more tolerant). Also, I'm at work all day and my husband is home with her.

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me that she has decided your husband is alpha, and you are a playmate equal to her. She is playing with you the way she would play with another cat. My cats do this to each other, and will come and call for me to play with them using the same chirps and clicks.

4 months is still a kitten but she is growing into cathood and her play will become more aggressive. This is a good opportunity to start using some interactive toys with her. Check into a cat dancer, or a dangly piece of rope or even a laser pointer. When she starts 'hunting' you, re-focus her attention onto one of these toys. The giveaway is that she doesn't attack you on the bed but comes over for cuddles then heads off to play again. If she was in attack mode, she would be growling and showing aggresive posturing, then woud possibly follow through. You might want to get a book on cat behaviour and body language, and it will help clear up any ambiguity.

If on the chance she gets carried away with play and starts using her claws and teeth, or attacks you, don't pull your hand away. Instead of pulling, push towards her gently and keep your hand or foot still - that tells her that they are not prey because prey will try to escape instead. She should stop, or at least allow you time to substitute a toy or something that she can attack.

Good luck.

Katahryn

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is playing with you...but like the other posters said, you want to re-direct her into a game with an interactive toy such as Cat Dancer or Da Bird.

If I've been busy and haven't played with Nano in a couple days, she will either start play-stalking me or wrap herself around my leg to give me a play-bite. There is no danger but such behavior is a signal that she needs a game to work out her aggressive instincts.

janitor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ah this is a great help as my cat has decided to try and hunt me. It gets really tiresome because she has become uninterested in other toys and just sneaks around the house stalking me. However before it wasn't too bad but just tonight she started to use her claws a bit.