Cat Hunting in Wisconsin -- Conservation Congress at it again

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im just wondering.... how do they know how many birds are killed by cats? Do they hire people to go out and witness cats killing birds and then count them???? I've never even seen a cat actually catch a bird..unless it was wounded and would die anyway the cat is just saving it from a slow painful starving death.
People had these kinds of ideas about wolves too and shot a whole lot of them and then found out they actaully messed up the natural balance of things by doing so. And what about when they killed cats in the dark ages because they thoughht they were witches and the rat population exploded and that's what brought about the boubonic plauge (from fleas the rats carried). How come there is not a study on the positive effects of feral cats? How many rats are they keeping in control?
The Bubonic Plague continued to affect cities from time to time for hundreds of years. It still exists and is common among rodents. We have a cure for the disease, but occasionally people in isolated places still die from the Bubonic Plague. I say the cats are an asset not the other way around!

caterpillar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since we moved into this house we have had a problem with mice. It must be living by the woods, or the fact that the mice were living in the house wall insulation, but it was almost impossible to eradicate them and we tried
our best. We had a family of mice living in the kitchen and my kids, who were very young at the time, used to feed them popcorn. (that's how tame they were!) We called an exterminator who set up poison traps for the mice and I put my young children and baby and all other wildlife at risk with these horrible traps. I couldn't stand to see the mice poisoned in this way as it was so inhumane. Then we used the Havahart traps by baiting them with peanut butter or sunflower seeds, but the kids had to release the mice into the woods at night. Unfortunately, the mice were too smart and knew how to obtain the bait without setting off the traps.

As these traps didn't work that well, my husband, secretly with the kids, decided to buy real old fashioned mouse traps, and set them up to catch mice the old fashioned way, without my knowledge. The traps worked but it was ugly and they had to dispose of the mice.

Now that I have cats, I no longer have a mouse problem. My indoor cats have never caught a mouse, but they have kept them at bay! I have only seen Mooie catch a mouse outside and some bugs. Although Moo cat tries to catch a bird once in a while, he has never succeeded. Our lost Mysty cat would only catch chipmunks, and often ended up releasing them. Mysty liked climbing a backyard tree in pursuit of birds, but never came close to catching one. Birds are just too fast and they fly. Mice are nuisance animals and many people consider chipmunks and rabbits nuisance animals, too.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a cat or cats most of my life. My first cat was in and out, and she caught a lot of mice, but only 3-4 birds in her lifetime (about 15-18 yrs).
We now live on a farm with multiple cats, and I have witnessed many dead mice, and a whole litter of rabbits, but no dead birds. I think if they were hunting birds, we would see some sign of it.
I agree that cats don't even kill that many birds, so the whole idea is ludicrous!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't read the whole thread but I have skimmed it! It's true out of all the cats I have ever owned they have probably only killed about 10 birds all up, and shooting cats -- well

caterpillar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yayi, from the Ohio Division of Wildlife site:

"The bobcat is a species that is native to Ohio, and one of seven feral cat species found in North America."

from the CNN article:

"At least two other upper Midwestern states, South Dakota and Minnesota, allow wild cats to be shot -- and have for decades."

Wild cats are probably refering to bobcats, lynxes, and other wild cats that comprise the seven feral cat species found in N. America. Note that the terms "wild cats" and "feral cats" are not synonymous with domestic cats.

Anyone who shoots a domestic cat should serve a minimum of two years in prison, IMO. The word "feral" is a misnomer.

Grinder, I called your illustrious Governor's office and gave him my two cents.

Conservation Congress is another misnomer. They should be aptly named, The Gun Owner's Lobby.

Now I know why I no longer watch or read CNN. That CNN article is totally messed up.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a link indicating Minnesota allows feral cats to be shot. I could not find more info on the Minnesota DNR site!

http://wfan.com/water/watercooler_story_094235238.html
At least two other upper Midwestern states, South Dakota and Minnesota, allow wild cats to be shot — and have for decades. Minnesota defines a wild, or feral, cat as one with no collar that does not show friendly behavior, said Kevin Kyle with that state's Department of Natural Resources.

caterpillar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I stand corrected. I'd like to know where people can just shoot cats in Minnesota and S. Dakota. This is a wake-up call!

Fortunately, I don't live in any of these states, but I will be calling our Governor's office and the Ohio Division of Wildlife to voice my views.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is kind of strange that we never heard before that two states allow cats to be shot. And I did look at the Minnesota DNR website, they had lots of info about trying to get people to keep their cats inside, but nothing about shooting cats.

Just a disgusting idea.

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont know about you all but its 8:30 in the morning right now, and the soundof birds is so loud it almost blocks out the traffic O_O There's geese going constantly over the house, and there are so many different calls that its just insane. So i dont know what the bird people are talking about.. the decline of birds, I sure in the heck can hear enough right now! And I live in the town, I'm not in the country O_O I have nothing against birds, its fun to watch them, but they sure dont seem to be in decline to me! Its good that Gov Doyle opposes the thing because it will never get passed thankfully. Ugh I hate anyone who is intolerant of anything. I dont like dogs but Im not trying to pass a law to get feral ones shot! I just dont see why people cant tolerate and accept anything and everyone... its really sad.

Oh no.. another fire.. this is like the fifth one this week! It rained last night but I guess it just wasnt enough... thinking of all the forest and stuff that is burning down makes me sad, I hope all the animals got out ok... well at least the forests grow better after a burning... I hope it rains again tonight though to decrease the fire risk..

roach412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the "shooting my pet in the backyard" argument is just plain silly for a rather simple and obvious reason:
you cannot shoot a firearm within city limits. do not pass go, go directly to jail.

the nuisance of a dog using your yard as a bathroom claim to be able to shoot a dog:
1) you cannot shoot a firearm within city limits.
2) the dog was/is most likely on a leash/with owner, because...well...dogs go outside.

3) in wisconsin dog owners have a legal responsibility to clean up after their dog, you see someone not doing so...let the authorities know.

why would your domesticated cat be outside in the first place? it hardly stands a chance against racoons, possums, weasles...etc...
the claims of caring so much for your cats become moot if you are careless enough to allow such a "defenseless" animal (as many of you have said here) out into the wild.

as a cat owner myself it makes no sense to dictate how a rural farmer/worker/homeowner takes steps to insure the safety of their own pets, livestock, property and family. it is intended for large populations of feral cats, or for roaming cats causing trouble.

sometimes love can be extremely blind, and i only recommend that people take a step back and calm down. think before you judge on both sides.

my $.02

-Roach

gilbertgrape

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Roaming cats causing trouble? Like what, chasing the mail-man? And I let my domesticated dog outside because she likes it. Why should I deny my domesticated cats the same pleasure?

caterpillar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In response to your arguments:

The shooting of my pet in the backyard is not silly, it is already happening, like the Norton, Ohio man who shot four cats in front of his family and dumped them in a hole. This cowardly, inhumane idiot got three years in prison. It begins with shooting cats and progresses to shooting dogs, shooting whatever wildlife or pets you can get away with, then accidentally or intentionally shooting Aunt Susie or little Tommy.

Why should rural folk be allowed to shoot cats and not city folk?

Dog owners do not always clean up after their pets and dogs are not always on a leash. The dogs where I live routinely get loose and they often take big dumps on people's property.

Our Mooie cat (a collarless, stray neutered male that would have been shot in Minnesota and S. Dakota) shared a food dish and lived peacefully on our porch with possums and raccoons. Thankfully, cats have claws and sharp teeth.

Please list the threats that homeless cats pose to farmers' livestock and property. The Conservation Congress could only drum up one bogus rationale for shooting cats; that cats kill wild birds.

Every year I visit farms to pick strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, turnips, and pumpkins, and a feed mill to buy birdseed and bird feeders. All of the farmers own cats and you often see kittens for free to a good home. These farmers are grateful for their cats killing rodents that do damage to their crops, grains, and seeds.

Please tell me what trouble a solitary, homeless roaming cat can do? Because, as you know, homeless cats are solitary, extremely territorial, and striving every day to just survive. Homeless cats depend on humans for food, handouts, and garbage. Do you know how difficult it is to feed a homeless cat?

I had success feeding Shed Cat, a homeless cat living in our backwoods, in the winter. Shed Cat is so terrified of humans, that our resident raccoons are much tamer and now, every day, Shed Cat has to compete for a decent meal. When I put out wet and dry cat food daily for him, birds like bluejays and cardinals go right for the kitty kibble (dry). I've seen robins enjoying the wet cat food. Squirrels and chipmunks eat the dry food, and a very pesky raccoon will completely finish off both wet and dry cat food, leaving nothing for Shed Cat.

Again, tell me what trouble roaming, homeless cats can cause, and I'm not talking about bobcats, mountain lions, or lynxes.

Yes, this is a wakeup call!

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
VERY well said, Caterpillar!

Originally Posted by caterpillar

In response to your arguments:

The shooting of my pet in the backyard is not silly, it is already happening, like the Norton, Ohio man who shot four cats in front of his family and dumped them in a hole. This cowardly, inhumane idiot got three years in prison. It begins with shooting cats and progresses to shooting dogs, shooting whatever wildlife or pets you can get away with, then accidentally or intentionally shooting Aunt Susie or little Tommy.

Why should rural folk be allowed to shoot cats and not city folk?

Dog owners do not always clean up after their pets and dogs are not always on a leash. The dogs where I live routinely get loose and they often take big dumps on people's property.

Our Mooie cat (a collarless, stray neutered male that would have been shot in Minnesota and S. Dakota) shared a food dish and lived peacefully on our porch with possums and raccoons. Thankfully, cats have claws and sharp teeth.

Please list the threats that homeless cats pose to farmers' livestock and property. The Conservation Congress could only drum up one bogus rationale for shooting cats; that cats kill wild birds.

Every year I visit farms to pick strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, turnips, and pumpkins, and a feed mill to buy birdseed and bird feeders. All of the farmers own cats and you often see kittens for free to a good home. These farmers are grateful for their cats killing rodents that do damage to their crops, grains, and seeds.

Please tell me what trouble a solitary, homeless roaming cat can do? Because, as you know, homeless cats are solitary, extremely territorial, and striving every day to just survive. Homeless cats depend on humans for food, handouts, and garbage. Do you know how difficult it is to feed a homeless cat?

I had success feeding Shed Cat, a homeless cat living in our backwoods, in the winter. Shed Cat is so terrified of humans, that our resident raccoons are much tamer and now, every day, Shed Cat has to compete for a decent meal. When I put out wet and dry cat food daily for him, birds like bluejays and cardinals go right for the kitty kibble (dry). I've seen robins enjoying the wet cat food. Squirrels and chipmunks eat the dry food, and a very pesky raccoon will completely finish off both wet and dry cat food, leaving nothing for Shed Cat.

Again, tell me what trouble roaming, homeless cats can cause, and I'm not talking about bobcats, mountain lions, or lynxes.

Yes, this is a wakeup call!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my bro-in-laws is a farmer and knows my position on cats. They have improved the care of their barn cats over the years. Some come by the house and are very friendly and have names. Heck, that is where I got Bobber from. Sometimes they have really unusual kittens and those may get adopted out. Some may get shots. He said that they have noticed the decline of "strays" over the years. About 10-15 yrs ago lots of people would dump cats off by them. Like a house cat suddenly could take the change of being abandoned!!
BUT......... this my sound gross but they sometimes have to "thin the herd".
If they notice a cat acting/walking oddly - they know what distemper is and how easily it can spread. They will put those cats down. Or they had some with tumors-they will have the vet look at them sometimes-those will be put down too. Or too many tom cats-over the years they know they can get aggressive to the females and kittens. They cull those out. While my heart say oh no to this I know it is the best in the long term for the health of the cat population as a whole. How many do they have??? Maybe 20 or so. They do get milk, water and cat food too. I think many WI farmers do the same but I don't know. But intentionally shoot one just for the "fun" of it. No cats are too valuable to them.

caterpillar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Lacey. Just using the term, "feral," conjures up images of wild, rabid, dangerous animals, and what we're really discussing are some abandoned pet cats that have reproduced in the wild; cats so terrified of people that they will run away and hide as soon as they see someone.

Lately, there have been several reports of dog attacks and coyotes in the news, yet I don't hear any complaints from the cat shooting advocates.

When I was doing the dishes tonight, while looking out of the kitchen window, I could have sworn that I saw a big black bear running about in the woods. My husband had to look twice and told me that it was just a big, black dog running loose and wearing a collar with an ID tag. If I had small children outside, I would have been very frightened for their safety.

Gail, you are absolutely right that farmers value their cats. I value mine, too.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by consumercity

I posted the petition on another forum and got a reply from some redneck who says that it is legal to shoot cats in Minnesota and South Dakota. Is that true????
Yes, but it's "wild cats" according to caterpillar. I posted a CNN news article about it a few pages back.

roach412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by consumercity

I posted the petition on another forum and got a reply from some redneck who says that it is legal to shoot cats in Minnesota and South Dakota. Is that true????
ignorance breeds contempt.

i thoroughly enjoy how many members of this community state the ignorance of the people who are pushing for this...yet, in their own arguments chastise other people's views and opinions. they are just as welcome to their ideas, and beliefs as you are...
obviously every person who believes in the shooting of wild/feral/homeless/etc...cats is a "dumb redneck". obviously.

barely 8% of the entire population of wisconsin is "redneck" material. that leaves 92+% of the population, of which at least half that are apparently just dumb, but not rednecks.

keep the immature flames out of a topic which can be more adult in nature.

-Roach