Cat Hissing At Sister Cat At Night And In Certain Areas After Our Big Move -- Help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I wanted to post a follow-up to this, as one of the things I love best about this site is that cat lovers can help each other. And I always combed these forums to see if solutions tried actually worked. So I wanted to tell you want worked for us on this!

1. We took both cats to the vet, where Fig was diagnosed with IBD. That certainly explained a lot of crankiness. I could create a whole separate post about IBD but will spare you. For right now, we're trying prescription venison and Vitamin b12 and they seem to be working. We're also going to try bentonite clay to see if some of the intermittent soft stool can be cleared up.

2. We moved Fig's food out into a separate room altogether. THIS ALMOST IMMEDIATELY TOOK CARE OF THE HISSING. I can't emphasize this enough! Giving him his own quiet place to eat (on top of a cube/high place) made a HUGE difference. We also added a litter box (for a total of three), and that helped too.

3. We consulted a cat therapist (seriously), who told us to give them each separate play time as well as play time together. That took a while to coordinate but it seems to be getting better and better.

4. The cat therapist also suggested CBD Oil for both cats, to help calm them, help Fig's inflammation, and help ease the transition of the move. Since Fig has pancreatitis, he can't have extra fats/oils, so we tried Canna-Pet, a hemp capsule that can be added to food. It seems to be working great. It definitely relaxes both of them.

5. I'm not sure some of this wouldn't have happened to a certain degree without the move and everything else. They are both on the verge of turning three years old, so they're fully mature and I think a battle for territory might have eventually happened anyway.

6. And finally, *I'm* less stressed out by all of this, which seems to help the situation in general.

We're about 2-3 weeks now without hissing, when it was a daily occurrence (and more) before. Even if Fig resumes hissing again every once in a while to express his boundaries to his sister, Apple, I'll take that over what we had. They may never be super cuddly and lovable to each other, but they now bump noses, sit next to one another, and huddle together when spooked. So there's a bond there and I'm so grateful it wasn't broken forever.

Hope this can help someone else. If anyone wants additional info, please feel free to reach out to me.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for reporting back with what helped. That is invaluable! If everybody reported back we would have a much better idea on what works and what doesn't. I'm so happy your little family seems to be getting closer and more relaxed!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, thank you so much for updating your thread on what helped. And so glad things are getting on better. :catlove: