Cat Hissing At Sister Cat At Night And In Certain Areas After Our Big Move -- Help!

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bear with me while I type out this complex tale (tail-ha!).

My two cats, Fig and Apple, are siblings, about 3 years old. They used to get along just fine, with Apple (the girl) being somewhat more dominant than Fig (the boy).

Then, Fig got a hair cut and when he came back from the vet, Apple displayed non-recognition aggression toward him. Hissing and such. Never outright fighting, but she stopped playing with him and treated him like he was a stranger.

Things slowly got better, and she recognized him again. But then: we moved. It was a big move, too, from East Coast to West, and they had to fly on a plane. All of this happened within a two-month period.

In our new home, Apple and Fig will share a giant litter box, eat near to one another, slee near one another, play (chasing and some wrestling, though not as frequent as it was before) and Apple will occasionally groom Fig. And before anyone asks, yes -- apart from the giant litter box -- they each have their own "things": cat trees, food dishes, toys, etc.

Still, there's tension and staring when they pass each other sometimes.

And now it's FIG who will swat and hiss at Apple when he's angry. In general, he seems more stressed and willing to lash out than he used to. It's usually (though not always) limited to the evening, and usually after play time.

And always in one area. I think this is important, so I'll really spell out: he usually sits in front of the doorway to the hallway, which is our bedroom and bathroom, in the evening, right after play time. That's where he does most of the hissing. It's almost as if he's guarding my husband and me from his sister (even if we're not in the bedroom).

We try to treat them both equally, giving them lots of love and attention and pets and kisses. It should be noted that Fig is far needier than his sister.

It's also definitely worth noting that when we're out of the house, we often come home to find them just fine and even laying near each other sometimes, so we're drawing the conclusion that the problem may be... us. :(

We have not yet found a vet here and will be bringing them in for a checkup as soon as we can find one.

I've heard other horror stories of actual cat fights with fur flying and claws out. It hasn't come to that yet, for which I'm grateful. However, I never want it to get to that point, and I'd love to see them together as they once were. They were never super cuddly toward each other, but even seeing them sleep together again would make my heart sing.

So I guess my questions are:

-- Has anyone seen behavior like this?
-- What's normal? As in, can sibling cats hiss at each other while they're working out dominance issues, and are they still generally ok? Do cats just grow into being adults sometimes and do this with each other (fight for hierarchy), and we just need to wait it out?
-- Any behavioral suggestions? (I have Feliway plugged in and give them Comfort Remedy every day, so I'm looking more for things to do and not medicinal approaches. Unless you have a miracle you'd love to tell me about.)
-- Do you think Prozac or something similar would help Fig through this transition? Just to calm him down a little and then he can be weaned off? Would love to hear any stories about if that worked for your cats.

Thanks, all. I'm sad and scared.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through something similar. My cat Sonny was in the hospital for 3 days. When Sonny came home from the vet Casey thought he was a stranger and started hissing at him. Sonny just ignored Casey and did not re-act to his hissing. Apollo acted like Sonny had never been gone and started grooming him. Casey then started hissing at Apollo too. Casey was also hissing at myself and my hubby after we would interact with Sonny. Apollo did not re-act to Casey hissing at him either. My cat-sitter was also coming over visiting Sonny when he got home since she is his former foster mommy. Oddly enough Casey never hissed at her. I asked my vet about when I called her about something else and she told me it was fine to let them work it out as long as it was just hissing. Casey was still interacting with us even though he was hissing. After about 3 days everything went back to normal. The issue with Sonny was non-recognition aggression. The other hissing issues were re-directed aggression. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head to try is giving both cats attention and food in separate area's after play time in the evening to see if it settles Fig down. Another thing you could try is using Feliway spray in the area that Fig is guarding.

How is Apple re-acting to Fig's behavior? If Apple seems to be ignoring the behavior it may resolve itself once Fig realizes he is not getting any attention from that behavior. I am also going to post some articles on non-recognition aggression and re-directed aggression. They may have some information to help you work on resolving this issue.

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats
Re-directed Aggression In Cats
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry your cats are having "sibling disagreements".

One thing I would suggest, is putting out at least 1 more litter box. The "rule" is one box per cat, plus one. Not every multi-cat household follows the rule, but with 2 cats, 2 litter boxes is a good idea, especially when there's friction between the cats. You certainly don't want any litter box avoidance issues to start.

How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is Apple re-acting to Fig's behavior? If Apple seems to be ignoring the behavior it may resolve itself once Fig realizes he is not getting any attention from that behavior. I am also going to post some articles on non-recognition aggression and re-directed aggression. They may have some information to help you work on resolving this issue.

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats
Re-directed Aggression In Cats
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats
Thank you so much for this, catlover73. The links are helpful.

To answer your question, Apple is bewildered by her brother's response to her. She mostly gets out of his way for a few moments but always comes back to try and engage him with play. She has a short memory or is very forgiving. :) However, I've noticed that the more he acts pissy toward her, and the longer this goes on, the longer she stays away. So I see that the rift might creep in and become permanent, which scares me.

As I write this, they're chasing/playing (it always switches up between them, which is how I know it's play.)

I just want them to go back to what they were. Maybe this is part of them becoming adult cats.

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry your cats are having "sibling disagreements".

One thing I would suggest, is putting out at least 1 more litter box. The "rule" is one box per cat, plus one. Not every multi-cat household follows the rule, but with 2 cats, 2 litter boxes is a good idea, especially when there's friction between the cats. You certainly don't want any litter box avoidance issues to start.

How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?
Thanks, rubysmama. Yes, I know. They've never had litter box issues but you're right -- I don't want it to become an issue. We can put another one out.

Thank you!

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bumping this just to see if anyone else has any other suggestions.

Does anyone else have cats that hiss only in certain areas and at certain times?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My female cat Starbuck hisses at my male cat Sonny if he jumps on the desk when she is getting cuddles from me. For some reason Sonny only seems to do this at night.

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat Starbuck hisses at my male cat Sonny if he jumps on the desk when she is getting cuddles from me. For some reason Sonny only seems to do this at night.
Thank you so much for answering, catlover73! I'm so anxious and upset about the hissing and just trying to determine if there's an acceptable "normal" I have to live with when they coexist peacefully most other times.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this is just hissing and no attacks they will work it out on their own and in their own time frame. Just take a deep breath and try to relax around them. Cats can sense when we are stressed.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And always in one area. I think this is important, so I'll really spell out: he usually sits in front of the doorway to the hallway, which is our bedroom and bathroom, in the evening, right after play time. That's where he does most of the hissing.
Just reread your first message, and the above stood out this time. How long have you been in the new house? Do you know if the previous owners had pets? Maybe Fig can smell their scent.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats naturally grow apart after a few years, they mature and usually the female assumes the role of matriarch and rules the house. Two males seem to bond closer and can remain friends for years.
Your two have been through way too much in the past months and it will take months for them to settle into a normal routine. Fig must be more sensitive to change so he has picked out that doorway as his 'safe spot' and is defending his choice' even from his sister. Things will get better, it will take a while, but it will happen in time. If you have to bring one to the vet, bring them both, so they smell the same, that will help with any nonrecognition issues. (I take all 4 of mine in at once, that is an experience!) It may seem it is YOU that is getting them all upset and this may be true in the sense that just having you around is distracting them from their fears of the new place and they are getting anxious with all the million things to watch. They are not mad/upset at you, just that you are attracting their attention, and they don't want to give it at that moment because they are anxious and trying to reassure themselves that something ELSE is not lurking just around the corner. Just give them space, lots of love and attention, and reassurance that everything is going to be OK, and everything will get better!

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just reread your first message, and the above stood out this time. How long have you been in the new house? Do you know if the previous owners had pets? Maybe Fig can smell their scent.
I think you may be right, that the former tenants had an animal. He's not hissing exclusively in that area, but mostly. And always after play/eating, when he's most "stimulated."

Any suggestions for getting rid of old animal smell?! It's all hardwood floors so no carpets.

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats naturally grow apart after a few years, they mature and usually the female assumes the role of matriarch and rules the house. Two males seem to bond closer and can remain friends for years.
Your two have been through way too much in the past months and it will take months for them to settle into a normal routine. Fig must be more sensitive to change so he has picked out that doorway as his 'safe spot' and is defending his choice' even from his sister. Things will get better, it will take a while, but it will happen in time. If you have to bring one to the vet, bring them both, so they smell the same, that will help with any nonrecognition issues. (I take all 4 of mine in at once, that is an experience!) It may seem it is YOU that is getting them all upset and this may be true in the sense that just having you around is distracting them from their fears of the new place and they are getting anxious with all the million things to watch. They are not mad/upset at you, just that you are attracting their attention, and they don't want to give it at that moment because they are anxious and trying to reassure themselves that something ELSE is not lurking just around the corner. Just give them space, lots of love and attention, and reassurance that everything is going to be OK, and everything will get better!
Thanks so much for saying this, di and bob! You're right: they've been through a lot, and all things considered, they're doing remarkable well. I *do* need to stay calm. It's so upsetting to see Fig hiss at his sister. I also don't want him to be anxious!

Time is the great equalizer. I'll be patient and just give them security and love and hope that it improves. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you may be right, that the former tenants had an animal. He's not hissing exclusively in that area, but mostly. And always after play/eating, when he's most "stimulated."

Any suggestions for getting rid of old animal smell?! It's all hardwood floors so no carpets.
Sorry, I don't. If it was urine smell, I'd say use an Enzyme cleaner, but since it's hardwood floors, I think you'd be able to tell if there was urine damage in the area. If you're not sure, you could try a black light, which is mentioned in the Combat Cat Urine article.

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, I don't. If it was urine smell, I'd say use an Enzyme cleaner, but since it's hardwood floors, I think you'd be able to tell if there was urine damage in the area. If you're not sure, you could try a black light, which is mentioned in the Combat Cat Urine article.
Thank you!

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So now that I've decided to add an extra litter box... where do I put it?

Our apartment isn't small but it's not huge either. There's basically a "cat room" (aka, my office) where the current, very large litter box is, and then there's the bathroom. That'd be the only other place for another litter box.

Would it be possible to have both litter boxes in one room/the current "cat room"? Or does that defeat the purpose of giving them each their "safe space"?

If I put the extra litter box in the bathroom, there's only one way in and out, and it's a small room. Won't this make one of my kitties feel cornered, and thus defeat the purpose?

Any suggestions on litter box placement in multicat apartments are welcome!

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when we only had two cats, we had two litter boxes that were basically almost right next to each other in our laundry room, and it worked out fine. they used both of them. my cats are very close however, (or used to be before I decided to keep two kittens I found), but it was nice for them to have the two. now that we have four cats, we have two litter boxes in laundry room, one in the downstairs bathroom, and one in our bedroom bathroom. it seems to work out, and no one ever feels trapped.

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
when we only had two cats, we had two litter boxes that were basically almost right next to each other in our laundry room, and it worked out fine. they used both of them. my cats are very close however, (or used to be before I decided to keep two kittens I found), but it was nice for them to have the two. now that we have four cats, we have two litter boxes in laundry room, one in the downstairs bathroom, and one in our bedroom bathroom. it seems to work out, and no one ever feels trapped.
Thank you! Good to hear about your four kitties, RufusGizmo. Ours aren't getting along great/have some tension. Maybe if the litter boxes are in the same room but not near each other, it will still help? Not sure.

Open to hearing others' experiences with this!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I only have one cat, so haven't have litter box issues between 2 cats, but I think due to the tension between your 2 cats, putting the 2nd litterbox in another room would be preferable. That way, the 2nd cat can't always be watching a litter box, and the 1st cat should be able to use one without interference.

If you Google "hidden litter box" you'll find all sort of quirky ways to hide them, which might work if you wanted to put it in the living room or somewhere else.
hidden litter box ideas - Google Search

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I only have one cat, so haven't have litter box issues between 2 cats, but I think due to the tension between your 2 cats, putting the 2nd litterbox in another room would be preferable. That way, the 2nd cat can't always be watching a litter box, and the 1st cat should be able to use one without interference.

If you Google "hidden litter box" you'll find all sort of quirky ways to hide them, which might work if you wanted to put it in the living room or somewhere else.
hidden litter box ideas - Google Search

Great link -- thank you! My cats don't like covered boxes, but maybe I can get creative somehow...

Thank you again!