Cat has gone missing at new house..

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of services here in the States where people train dogs to hunt for lost cats. As you mention, cats often get low and hide. They'll be right under your nose and you won't know it until you see them. Dogs can sniff them out. It would be great if you could find a service like that on your side of "the Pond."

If you haven't yet tried it, try creating a super cool cat hiding spot in the corner of your yard. Maybe he'll find it and decide to hide there. I might forgo any food that attracts other outdoor cats as they might run him off.

There is also a great likelihood that he found his way to his old house. Cats are incredibly bound to territory. That's the context for which they understand how to be a cat and it's not at all strange for them to travel great distances to get back "home." A 45 minute walk would be pretty simple for many of them.

I truly hope you find him.

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
im sure you got lots of advice here so i wont say anymore,but thinking of you and sending vibes.hope he turns up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

woody599

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all your help and support. When it gets dark i'm going to try a more detailed search around my area with a flashlight to try and see his eyes. And if i haven't found him by tomorrow i will check the old house.

I don't know the people who own the house now though, i shouldn't think they'd mind me taking a look in the back yard. Or, when my mum is in from work i'll get her to ring my neighbour who could have a look under the shed for us. If he's gone back home, he'll probably be under the shed.

woody599

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I left the gate open a bit all night and i've emptied some more of his used litter around the house, so if he were nearby he must definitely know which house is his.
I even tried looking around nearby gardens with a flashlight at around midnight while calling for him (hopefully nobody thought i was burglar) but still no result. I feel like i'm the only one doing anything. It's been me and mum who have lived with my cat for over 10 years and it seems like she doesn't give a damn.

I'll be checking the old house later today, if he's not there all we can do is contact local rescue centres and alert the locals and just hope and wait...

I'm still hoping he's nearby hiding, and that he just doesn't dare move because of the unfamiliar surroundings, but he'd have to move back eventually. But it's possible he could of just got completely lost.. i don't know.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How sad for you. Everytime I am the least bit tempted to let my cat visit the outdoors (especially when we are out on the deck enjoying the sun) -- I read a thread like this and immediately change my mind. It is just not worth the risk of losing him forever.

I really hope you find your cat.

woody599

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heh, i'm hoping none of my old neighbours saw me. I went to my old house and knocked on my neighbours door but nobody answered. So i thought, i'm not off all the way back home without checking my old garden. So i used my ninja skills to climb over about 5 fences and walls. But after all the effort, it appeared Fluffy wasn't there. I had a good luck under the shed, but nothing.

My mum finally helped and rang up some local cat places.

So now, all i can do is wait and hope..

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We're waiting with u through this. This happened to me once - my boy went missing in the woods for almost 2 weeks when we first moved to the country. I spent hours every day walking around the new neighborhood calling his name. When I had just about given up hope, I took one last walk. Yes, my sweet Karnu heard me calling him and meowed. Needless to say, after that he was an indoor-only boy (and he was definitely OK with that!)

I hope you have the same happy ending.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Come Home Fluffy!!!!

I`m sorry he hasn`t turned up yet. Glad your mum is helping you now.
Is your old house empty then? Perhaps as fluffy has that address on his collar you could stick a note up on the door or something.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Find out where your local vet and shelter closest to the house you are living in. Go VISIT the shelter - they have so many animals coming in, they would not really know your cat unless it was extremely unusual in type or color. Better to pay a visit - maybe take a photo along and leave it with the vet and shelter so people know what they are looking for.

I'd also put us photo/Lost signs in the neighborhood.

kiva13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry about your cat. I don't have any real advice except not to give up. Put up signs, go to shelters, keep going back to your old house. Once my cat disappeared for over two weeks. She finally returned home smelling like perfume! I'l be sending you good vibes.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it seems to be a trend here that everyone who is from the UK lets their cats outside, but this goes to show that cats are no safer outside in England than they are here. This is why cats belong inside your house. If youwantthem to experience the outdoors, harness train them and take them out on a leash. There are cars and wild animals in the UK just as much as there are here in the states. I only hope your kitty shows up. Poor kitty...

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope your kitty comes back soon. I have posted this before, but when I moved, my cat disappeared for almost a month. I think she was trying to find her way back to our old house. It was 150 miles away!! If you use kilometers there, I have no idea what that is the equivalent to, but it is far! Anyway she came back. She had lost a lot of weight, but she showed up on the doorstep when I got home from school. She was probably 10 years old then. She lived to the ripe age of 20. I think she was blessed with more than 9 lives!! Oh, and don't forget to look in the trees. My mom's cat was missing for a few days, and she found her in a tree. She was stuck. No one thought to look up when they were looking for her. Good luck, and don't give up!! I am sure your fluffy will come home!!

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am hoping Fluffy is home now, if not I have some suggestions.
I have been helping to reunite cats and people separated due to Hurricane Katrina here in the States for the last 18 months. Yes, we are still making reunions.

1. Make fliers and post them everywhere out to at least 1.5 kilometers from your new and old homes. Preferably with photos. There are some online places that have premade fliers that you can just plug in your own information then print it. Please make sure to note you want any information on possible matches including any deceased cats that may match his decription.

2. knock on all your neighbors doors and let them know your cat got out and is missing. ask them to please call and notify you if they seen any cat that may look like yours. Also ask if you can search their yards, under sheds any place he may be hiding. If they are not home, leave a note or flier with your contact information

3. call all the local vets and shelters. Give them a flier. Check the local sheters frequently.

4. See if you can borrow a humane trap from the shelter or animal control agency. This may be your best bet.

5. If Fluffy is used to sleeping with you, put something that smells like YOU outside for him along with food.

6. If he is afraid of outside he very well may hide, you need to be patient but persistent. One of my feral baby's got out 1 day after I moved. He knocked out a screen. I did not see or hear him for 14 days. I was up walking all night, shaking a food dish. Then one afternoon I saw him in the neighboring pasture. I called, he looked then RAN! I followed him and got him cornered under a neighborhing home. I sat there for 6 hours until I finally got him to come to me. He was SO happy once in my arms. I had to carry him around for two weeks then.

7. We have successfully used "game cameras" these are infra red motion detection digital camera $100 US. Set it up in your back yard to take photos at night so you can see what cats are showing up. Your Fluffy is the new cat to the territory so the other established cat may very well have pushed him off and are not allowing him to come back. So he may be a few doors down in a yard or garden that is not a territory to another established cat.

The most important thing when a cat is lost is to be PRO Active. Most people sit back and wait and that is the WRONG thing to do.

Please visit this site and look through all the links and stories. http://www.catsinthebag.org/ It will give a good idea what you are up against if you want to get Fluffy located again.

Oh.....and keep checking back at the old house. One of the rescued hurricane kittys was taken 50 miles away from home to the emergency shelter. He escaped his cage. 10 months later he showed up on the steps of his gaurdians Fema trailer, meowing his head off to be let in.

Cats are truly amazing creatures. Instinct quickly kicks back in and they will do what they need to keep themselves safe.

Please keep us posted on your quest and don't give up.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i really hope fluffy comes back soon. when my mum moved house about 5 years back now same thing happend to her.
she only moved about 15 mins away from her old place and her very scaredy cat *magic* got out and went missing , so we went round to her old place to look for her but nothing , about a week later we was looking again and we saw her , but she was so scared at the time she just ran from my mum. one night that suprised her and grabbed her* big mistake as she riped my dad to shreds* but they got her back , and shes a happy 9 year old who loves going out in the garden.

woody599

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the continuing advice and support guys it's helped alot.

Well it's day 5 and he hasn't came back yet, but i haven't lost hope. I'll definitely look into flyers and making my community aware of him and to contact me. I'll do my best to alert as many local animal shelters as i can too.

I think i'll go for another search for him again when it starts to get dark with the flashlight. I'm not sure how far to look though. We live in a housing estate so i guess looking around the majority of the estate wouldn't hurt. The chances are if he's hiding he will be hiding somewhere pretty good though, and he might not respond to my calls. But i'll give it a try.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there, just checking back in on this one.............I am sorry Fluffy hasnt turned up yet, one thing that I was thinking as already mentioned, a neighbour might have started feeding him and, of course, he's gonna hang around there.......so, I know its a pain but knocking on doors might turn something up, even if its to say they have seen him kicking about

Rooting for ya

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I keep reading this thread hoping that I'll read that Fluffy has come home. I'm sure she will. My neighbors put out flyers around the area when their cat was missing and they went walking and searching all yards. Their cat finally came home. So keep on praying. Fluffy should be an indoor cat after this escapade.

missy ro-ro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't give up on Fluffy! I had a good friend that lost a cat when she moved into a new apartment. Peanut escaped from his crate as they were carrying upstairs to the new apartment, and he was lost in the woods behind the complex for almost 5 weeks! He finally reappeared, after weeks of my friend searching and calling for him daily! He had lost lots of weight, but was otherwise ok! I'll be hoping for some goods news on Fluffy!