Cat had diarrhoea after vaccine. Is that normal?

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Is it normal for cat to feel tired and had diarrhoea after taking vaccination?

I've been feeding this stray cat for months and I just brought him to the vet this afternoon as I noticed his right hind legs was stained with dried up blood and his face has fresh wound as well. Vet said hat the "blood" on his right hind legs ain't blood as there's no wound. She said that it might be he stepped onto paint or nail polish since he lives in the street. As for his fresh wound on his face, it's due to him scratching it due to itchiness and that the itchiness might be due to allergies. Therefore, the vet cleaned up the stains on his legs and gave him a dose of Dexafort for his wounds.

She also asked me if I want to give this cat a vaccination and I agreed to it as since we're already there so why not. I've the intention to adopt him since months ago as well (still trying to finds way to get him to adapt) but it's just that he couldn't get used to indoor therefore my family will bring him up to our apartment for food and shelter on a daily basis. He will let us know that he wants to head out by meowing at the door and we will bring him back down to level 1.

Vet said that he's a healthy cat that's about 2 years old and weighting at 5.6kg. Good health and good teeth as well. He's neutered as per the vet (even though his ears is not tipped).

After coming back from the vet, I placed him into a playpen and gave him lunch. He finished it all and I let him sleep on my bed. He woke up a few hours later and started meowing at the door. I opened the door for him and was intending to let him chill at the corridor while I supervised him but as soon as I opened the gate, he ran down the stairs to level 1. Of course I chased after him. Found him at the tree at level 1 and he's shitting.

At a closer look, his poop seems like diarrhoea. It's thick and creamy. He seems out of it as well and tired. I texted the vet to ask if that's normal as this is my first caring for a cat.

They advised me to not let him back to street for about 1 to 3 days and that I'll need to monitor him to see if there's any vaccine reactions. And they said the the diarrhoea is a once off thing and if it happens again for 4 to 5 times from now till tomorrow, I should bring him to a 24/7 vet for treatment.

I'll endure his cries at the door from now onwards but I'm afraid he will hold his poop and pee in. I really don't mind him just letting it out. I don't mind cleaning the mess he made than make him suffer by holding it in. I bought him a litter box but he doesn't use it at all.

Should I just place him in the playpen with the litter box, water and food for now till he's back to normal?

And, can anyone advise me if diarrhoea really normal for a cat after taking Feline Rhinotracheitis-Calici-Panleukopenia-Chlamydia Psittaci Vaccine?

Thank you!!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it can be a very real side effect. Some cats develop a fever, some get very lethargic and sleep all day. It is something he will get over with in time, so make sure he is drinking plenty of fresh water. You might even offer some human Infant Pedialyte to combat his diarrhea. I had a cat that did this with antibiotics. The real problem right now is him getting too dehydrated, so drinking is very important. He should be better in a day or two. The symptoms are usually the worst for 24 hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TeaMatcha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it can be a very real side effect. Some cats develop a fever, some get very lethargic and sleep all day. It is something he will get over with in time, so make sure he is drinking plenty of fresh water. You might even offer some human Infant Pedialyte to combat his diarrhea. I had a cat that did this with antibiotics. The real problem right now is him getting too dehydrated, so drinking is very important. He should be better in a day or two. The symptoms are usually the worst for 24 hours.
I tried to make him drink water but he doesn't want to. Is there any way for me to get him to drink it? Maybe should I feed him water with syringe? 😭 Sorry for panicking.. but I'm glad to hear that it's normal for non consistent diarrhea after vaccination.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How to Give Water to a Dehydrated Cat
How to Hydrate a Cat With a Syringe and How Much Water to Feed?

These two articles address cats who won't drink and syringe feeding. Just remember to slowly introduce the liquid into his mouth and do not shoot it at the back of his throat. There are numerous other articles available. The video actually uses Gerber's baby food, but is a good visual.

Can you put dog pee pads in the play pen and see if he will just eliminate on those. Easily thrown out and I have used them for cats

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually set bowls of water around, they get curious and check them out, then usually drink. But as you know, there is no way to make a cat do anything! If at all possible, put a little water in his food. The thing now is to just let him rest and get him to eat after 24 hours, with anything he will, I had to tempt mine with Arby's roast beef, and deli chicken.